Back after months away...

Options
CARoberts73
CARoberts73 Posts: 71 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
Hey all! I used to post in here some months ago. Fell off the LC wagon due to not knowing how to properly handle keto flu / mood swings. I'm back....armed with lots of salt and gatorade ;)

I just invested in the upgraded version but now I'm not sure I should have. I know I still need to think about calories, but right now, while I'm adjusting to LC, I don't like having to see that number. My main concern is hitting my carb goal, at the moment.

ETA I see there is a script for hiding calories.....YES!! Thank you!

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I was never bothered much by the number of calories. What bothered me was seeing numbers in red. I hated red numbers. They meant "F" in my mind even if it was only 10 calories. An F+ isn't any better than an F- in my mind.

I don't think you can get rid of the calorie count number. I know you can't in the free version. You can override what MFP spits out by going to "goals" and hitting "edit" versus "guided" in free and probably in paid. Enter 3000 calories if you think that will be helpful and just go with the flow on over eating calories until you adjust to eating low carb. The only thing that will do is slow down the loss process. With the paid version, the macros still have to add up to 100% so enter your carbs grams to whatever you want as your limit and fill protein and fat accordingly to meet calories/100%.

You could start with entering your stat goal to "maintain" versus "lose" in mfp and adjust your macros accordingly. That would at least give some level of comfort that you won't be gaining.

I'm a logger and a maintainer. I've used MFP in many different ways. I've never overlooked calories but did adjust calories higher than I wanted to intake a time or two. And I understand that with a drastic macro allocation it might be beneficial to do so during the "carb adjustment" time.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have my cals set for 1600 but not too concerned if I am over or under unless it is extreme either way. FYI Gatorade is not the best choice for elytes. Homemade version better. There are lots of recipes but mine is pretty basic .... No Salt for Potassium, Natural Calm for calcium, lemon juice, water and Himalayan salt. I drink it every morning plus before workouts or if feeling sluggish esp in the afternoon.

Welcome back and good luck.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I think you might mean Natural Calm for magnesium. ^^^^^
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I used to post in here some months ago. Fell off the LC wagon due to not knowing how to properly handle keto flu / mood swings. I'm back....armed with lots of salt and gatorade ;)

I just invested in the upgraded version but now I'm not sure I should have. I know I still need to think about calories, but right now, while I'm adjusting to LC, I don't like having to see that number. My main concern is hitting my carb goal, at the moment.

Welcome back. I claim you basically need to keep the carbs low and set a higher sodium goal when you start. Work on that initially and then start being more mindful of meeting the protein goal. For me anyway, this is the time to add the calorie layer. There are a variety of things to keep in balance. If you don't get the carbs and the sodium figured out, keto is not going to work for you.
  • CARoberts73
    edited November 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I was never bothered much by the number of calories. What bothered me was seeing numbers in red. I hated red numbers. They meant "F" in my mind even if it was only 10 calories. An F+ isn't any better than an F- in my mind.

I don't think you can get rid of the calorie count number. I know you can't in the free version. You can override what MFP spits out by going to "goals" and hitting "edit" versus "guided" in free and probably in paid. Enter 3000 calories if you think that will be helpful and just go with the flow on over eating calories until you adjust to eating low carb. The only thing that will do is slow down the loss process. With the paid version, the macros still have to add up to 100% so enter your carbs grams to whatever you want as your limit and fill protein and fat accordingly to meet calories/100%.

You could start with entering your stat goal to "maintain" versus "lose" in mfp and adjust your macros accordingly. That would at least give some level of comfort that you won't be gaining.

I'm a logger and a maintainer. I've used MFP in many different ways. I've never overlooked calories but did adjust calories higher than I wanted to intake a time or two. And I understand that with a drastic macro allocation it might be beneficial to do so during the "carb adjustment" time.

Yesss! The red number bothers me MUCH more than it should. I used the script provided in this group to get rid of the calorie count number. I work at home on the same PC all day, so I just run it in the morning then leave it open all day.

Thanks for the info!

• CARoberts73
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

Welcome back. I claim you basically need to keep the carbs low and set a higher sodium goal when you start. Work on that initially and then start being more mindful of meeting the protein goal. For me anyway, this is the time to add the calorie layer. There are a variety of things to keep in balance. If you don't get the carbs and the sodium figured out, keto is not going to work for you.
    +

I didn't even realize I could set a sodium goal! Thank you.

• CARoberts73
    Options
    Shron123 wrote: »
    I have my cals set for 1600 but not too concerned if I am over or under unless it is extreme either way. FYI Gatorade is not the best choice for elytes. Homemade version better. There are lots of recipes but mine is pretty basic .... No Salt for Potassium, Natural Calm for calcium, lemon juice, water and Himalayan salt. I drink it every morning plus before workouts or if feeling sluggish esp in the afternoon.

Welcome back and good luck.

I will definitely give that a try. I wasn't comfortable with taking in all that OTC stuff anyway, particularly the colors, etc, concern me. I bought a keto supplement on Amazon, too.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options

I am all for whatever makes your life easier. I have bought pre-mixed electrolytes because I know myself and I know I won't mix a homemade version daily.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Oh cool. Is it one of the 2 scripts listed in The Launch Pad or a different script? I've never used those in the Launch Pad so didn't know they hid the calories in addition to providing the net column.

I'm heavily guided by carbs and calories so wouldn't be using it but it may be beneficial to others initially.

• 2t9nty
    Options
    I'm heavily guided by carbs and calories so wouldn't be using it but it may be beneficial to others initially.

On a technicality, I know if I am watching all the macros and not going crazy, the calories take care of themselves. I still keep an eye on the calories at this point. Maybe it is just another metric to rein me in?

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Welcome back!

For sodium, I use this:

https://thrivemarket.com/thrive-market-himalayan-pink-salt

I literally just put a few pieces in my mouth and suck on it periodically. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom made homemade ice cream. I would swipe some of the rock salt and suck on that. This serves two purposes. The second being that sometimes when I get the munchies (not truly hungry), getting a bit of a salt fix this way quenches it.

As far as wasting your money, you probably get enough calcium. The D3 is probably the best thing in that supplement, IMHO. There isn't enough of any of the other items to make much of a difference. Calcium has been shown to not be nearly as important to supplement as first thought. If you don't have sufficient D3 and K2, the calcium won't go to your bones but rather to places you don't want it like your arteries (atherosclerosis) or to your kidneys (kidney stones). If you get enough D3 and K2, then the calcium you get from your diet is generally enough - especially if you eat dairy.

I personally do supplement magnesium as many here do. The only issue with the supplement you have is the amount is so small it isn't really worth it.
  • CARoberts73
    Options

Oh cool. Is it one of the 2 scripts listed in The Launch Pad or a different script? I've never used those in the Launch Pad so didn't know they hid the calories in addition to providing the net column.

One of the ones in the launch pad. I don't believe you can run it at the same time as the net one, though. When I tried, whatever one I loaded second, canceled out the first one.

• CARoberts73
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Welcome back!

For sodium, I use this:

I literally just put a few pieces in my mouth and suck on it periodically. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom made homemade ice cream. I would swipe some of the rock salt and suck on that. This serves two purposes. The second being that sometimes when I get the munchies (not truly hungry), getting a bit of a salt fix this way quenches it.

As far as wasting your money, you probably get enough calcium. The D3 is probably the best thing in that supplement, IMHO. There isn't enough of any of the other items to make much of a difference. Calcium has been shown to not be nearly as important to supplement as first thought. If you don't have sufficient D3 and K2, the calcium won't go to your bones but rather to places you don't want it like your arteries (atherosclerosis) or to your kidneys (kidney stones). If you get enough D3 and K2, then the calcium you get from your diet is generally enough - especially if you eat dairy.

I personally do supplement magnesium as many here do. The only issue with the supplement you have is the amount is so small it isn't really worth it.

Thanks for the link! So, I will probably still need a magnesium supplement, huh? Stupid internet shopping. *sigh*

• CARoberts73
    Options

On a technicality, I know if I am watching all the macros and not going crazy, the calories take care of themselves. I still keep an eye on the calories at this point. Maybe it is just another metric to rein me in?

I think once I get adjusted, that will be the case....or it has been in the past. Unfortunately, I usually quit right at the point where my appetite is starting to go away, because that is when the keto flu hits me. If I can just get past that point, I'll be set.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    I think once I get adjusted, that will be the case....or it has been in the past. Unfortunately, I usually quit right at the point where my appetite is starting to go away, because that is when the keto flu hits me. If I can just get past that point, I'll be set.

I set my goal at 4K for the sodium. I also liberally salt things and don't account for that in logging. As an experiment, I backed off to 3K a day to see if I had adjusted in some way after 10 months of keto. It took about 10 days, but the symptoms came back, and I bumped it back up to 4K (having learned a lesson).

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Welcome back!

For sodium, I use this:

Thanks for the link! So, I will probably still need a magnesium supplement, huh? Stupid internet shopping. *sigh*

I wouldn't say you have to supplement magnesium. In theory, if you eat the right foods you can get enough. The problem is most don't eat these. My doctor is LCHF friendly and much more functional based rather than just wanting to write a prescription for everything. In doing so, he ran pretty extensive tests on my micronutrient standing and I was a bit low in Mg. I was also a bit low in some of the B vitamins despite getting a ton in my diet. Apparently I don't absorb them as well as I should so I have had to supplement there to get about 2-3X what I should need in order to get my blood levels up to normal.

If possible, I recommend getting tested to see what you personally need to supplement, if anything. Even if you have to pay for the test, given how expensive supplements can be, it makes sense to not throw away money on ones you don't need. Pay $100 on a test to save several hundred over the coming years.
  • CARoberts73
    Options

I set my goal at 4K for the sodium. I also liberally salt things and don't account for that in logging. As an experiment, I backed off to 3K a day to see if I had adjusted in some way after 10 months of keto. It took about 10 days, but the symptoms came back, and I bumped it back up to 4K (having learned a lesson).

Well....the good news is I have relatively low blood pressure and I looove salt....so I have that going for me.