Living the Lifestyle Wednesday 11/1/17

Options
Rachel0778
Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday -- Calvin2008Brian
Wednesday -- Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Thursday -- misterhub (Greg)
Friday -- jimb376 (Jim)

We are officially head first into holiday season! Who's excited? Who's nervous? Who really doesn't care? What are you looking forward to or dreading over the next few months?

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Holidays, especially Thanksgiving, which is my favorite holiday. I love the family-centric nature of that day. Plus, there is much less of the commercialized pressure of Christmas.

And, I love the food. Sage stuffing is my favorite thing to do with the Holidays. I make no apology for that. Most years, I have found that nice balance between overindulgence and abstinence. But, I remember that, it's one day, not 45 days. I also remember that, if I take a reasonable amount now, I can always come back later if I want more. Most of the time that works very well for me. I remember to take a realistic selection of proportions that first time through...and that is usually enough.

Sometimes I track. Sometimes I don't. I am not a legalist. I just try to be intuitively aware on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving as I really need a break from work for a few days. I have a lab to teach that Monday and then am planning to only work half days on Tuesday and Wednesday.

For Thursday, we will share a meal with another couple - a tradition we started in 2005 when both DH & I lost our fathers. We are only children and have no children. No cousins live nearby so we needed to do something different. This other couple also does not have children and their families live out of state and they never travel on holidays. It works out very nice for all of us.

Depending on the weather, I hope to travel up to Wisconsin Friday-Sunday of that weekend to do more hiking or maybe snowshoeing!

As for Christmas, we just got the email from the university president that we have the week off between Christmas and New Years ;-) Our fitness center at the retirement community is still open during that week but I can get away with working much less hours.

As for Christmas day, we go to an Indian restaurant with our friends and then back to their house for dessert and a DVD. Low key and very enjoyable.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Get to see our kids. Couple of meals at a fancy restaurant here or there. Going to be fun.

Suppose DW & DD will make cookies at some point. That day will be a bit of a challenge.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,835 Member
    Options
    Really looking forward to Thanksgiving, because DS and DDIL are hosting at their house. The last couple of years they went to her grandparents' home and DW and I were left on our own. I missed the family get-together. I have gotten much better at the portion-control thing, over the years, so I don't obsess about eating on the holidays. I eat what I eat, and then move on.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I love the holidays... and for me, it's important to remember that the special meals are just 2 days through, and not eat like a pig on leftovers for a week... as long as I do that, I'm good!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    Not a particularly big deal for us. Not sure about thanksgiving plans this year. For me when we go to a big deal dinner it's still the only real "food holiday" or "holi-meal" and it's over. Don't eat nearly as much as years ago anyway. So no dreading by me. Lost all my weight from about Halloween to Easter/Passover season even if not necessarily on Thanksgiving day itself.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I like to remind myself how I felt the first time I was on plan and approaching Thanksgiving. It was kind of nerve wracking as I really did not want to lose momentum. We were going away to a cabin and I was going to be without the online tracker for the first time. This was one of the first things I asked for help with on a WW message board, and the response was - predictably - "lighten up, fella, it's one long weekend." That bugged me at the time, but was the exact right advice.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I find the holidays much easier to navigate than January.
    A. I’m more attentive
    B. I’m busier

As a boredom driven eater, inattention and lack of activity are perilous.

That we don’t have many ‘special’ or ‘must have’ dishes doesn’t hurt either.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I'm excited--I can't wait to draw a picture of my Thanksgiving plate and calculate the points!

:D
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    Mmm...Holiday tamales...
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I Love my wife's homemade filling.
    Celebrating the birth of Jesus.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    It's always a joy to be with Family on Thanksgiving and for that day DW and I will spend time with them and as a tradition at a restaurant in the North Georgia Mountains that also has a buffet. That is the only way you get get to eat. I'll have a very light breakfast and probably little if any dinner. We've done this for 4-5 years so I'm mentally prepared. Then I'll look forward to a couple of other holiday dinners then Christmas and New Years. So yes I am looking forward to it even though I will be on a diet.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm just plugging along. I figure the non-holidays are training for the big foodfests in the holiday season. I will enjoy in moderation. Do I expect to gain a bit? Probably, but it won't be much--nothing that can't be addressed with a week or two of diligence. However, I'm pretty committed to life in this smaller body and I find that really does help me guide my behavior during the holidays. If I think about where I want to be come January, the next couple months aren't anything I can't handle.