Can't lose weight and frustrated!

Options
jsinclair31
jsinclair31 Posts: 6 Member
Hi everyone! I have worked very hard to lose weight after having my 2nd child and then being diagnosed with hypothyroid 2 1/2 years ago. I was able to get down to 127lbs last summer through diet and exercise. Since this January I have slowly put on about 10 lbs and my waist has gone up 2 inches! I know this may not seem like a lot to some people but I have a small build and now all my pants are tight and give me a muffin top! My levels have been normal for over 7 months now. The last time they were checked was in May and the Dr. said they were normal I also told her about my weight gain and she said it was nothing to worry about. I have been running 3 - 3 1/2 miles three times a week and I do strength training with weights and core workouts three days a week. I eat a good diet lots of fruit and veggies I don't eat junk food and I don't eat fried food. Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try or something I should be doing differently?
Thanks

Replies

• toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What levels are being tested by your doctor? Just TSH and/or T4? I would ask the doctor to test your T3 levels as well to make sure your body is appropriately converting the T4 into T3.

After being in a plateau for over a month and a half, I raised my calorie intake by 200 calories and stopped exercise for a week (timed with an injury) and then returned to what I was doing before and the scale finally moved for me again.

Perhaps others will also have some better advice for you as well, but I hope this helps a little
  • jsinclair31
    Options
    The Dr. said my TSH was 2.17 in May she didn't say if she tested my T3. She told me I didn't need to be tested again until November but I think I am going to make an appointment to have my levels tested again and ask her about the T3.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    As a fellow thyroid sufferer, I do three things. First, every morning I get take my meds (75mg of Levothyroxen), I go to Planet Fitness 5 times a week, and I report everything I eat on MFP. I really only have time to do the elliptical cycle at PF. I do the weight loss program on the elliptical. I was 238 lbs on 5-18-12. This morning, I was 199.8. I possessed a 41 " waistline in June 2012. I now have a 33" waistline. I find, if I do a lot of cardio, it helps.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    The Dr. said my TSH was 2.17 in May she didn't say if she tested my T3. She told me I didn't need to be tested again until November but I think I am going to make an appointment to have my levels tested again and ask her about the T3.

I have always been told that most people feel their best with a TSH of 1. I know it depends on the person though. Definitely test your T3 and Reverse T3, so you can get the whole picture and see where to go from there. If your doc refuses, it might be time to find someone who will respect your wishes.
  • jsinclair31
    Options
    Just made an appointment to talk to the doctor about having my T3 tested. I will keep you guys updated on the results!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good luck at your appointment. I am in the same boat as you. Levels were "okay" according to my doctor, yet she bumped my dose up from 100 to 125mcg. I cannot lose a pound. In fact, I have gained about 10 pounds in the last little while, and my waist is getting bigger like you, I cant do up pants now. It really sucks. Keep us posted!
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As a fellow thyroid sufferer, I do three things. First, every morning I get take my meds (75mg of Levothyroxen), I go to Planet Fitness 5 times a week, and I report everything I eat on MFP. I really only have time to do the elliptical cycle at PF. I do the weight loss program on the elliptical. I was 238 lbs on 5-18-12. This morning, I was 199.8. I possessed a 41 " waistline in June 2012. I now have a 33" waistline. I find, if I do a lot of cardio, it helps.

awesome job, consistency works.The ups and down with any thyroid issue can really get to you but you have to be consistent in what you do. Don't give up so easily. force through it,
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Like Syriene, I have seen most folks state they feel the best when in and around a TSH of 1.

I find doing cardio and weight training to be effective for me to lose weight in addition to watching what I eat. Diet alone doesn't move the scale much for me.

Since you stated that you are exercising and watching your food intake, and had successfully lost weight previously, makes me think this might be time to make sure all your levels are correct and since most doctors routinely only test TSH and T4, thought it might be a good idea to have them look at your T3 levels.

@tomwatso,

Congratulations on your success so far!