KEtO diet on blood pressure meds

Options
RMJ0579
RMJ0579 Posts: 6 Member
Anyone doing this diet on blood pressure medication? Should I consult my doctor first this is day 2 for me

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    The safe and sane advice is to always consult your doctor before making any dietary or exercise changes. That goes for people on medication, as well as those not on it.

That said, many people find this way of eating works to lower blood pressure and get them off their medicine. Do you have your own cuff and way to measure? If so, I would recommend tracking your blood pressure in the morning and evenings, and see how it is responding to the diet change.
  • aknelson04
    aknelson04 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am. I actually just talked to my doctor about this yesterday. She switched my medicine because I am working on getting off the meds. I agree with the previous person. Check your blood pressure every day and talk with your doctor.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Definitely monitor it. I would be expecting it to go lower and most likely eliminate the need for meds. High blood pressure is a symptom of insulin resistance, which will improve on low carb.
    I recall a member that suddenly began to have dizziness upon standing to discover her blood pressure was suddenly low. She went to her doctor to adjust or eliminate the meds only to have the doctor tell her she needed to stop keto because it was making her blood pressure too low and interfering with her medication. She had cured herself of high blood pressure but her doctors advice was to stop so she could keep taking meds...
    So she took herself off the meds.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    I got myself a cuff and started checking. My doctor was slow to take me off the BP med. Checking at home, I was getting readings like 100/60 in the morning. Checking before bed, I would be 115/70. I stopped taking the meds on my own and have been monitoring. Mornings are now more like 115/65 and evenings are 130/75. These don't seem too problematic to me. I can always start taking them again.

The med I was taking included a diuretic, and when I stopped taking them, weight jumped up. Just warning you...