Programming progression for BW lifts

jjpptt2
jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
I posted this in the general forums, but I wanted to target this group as well... so, yeah, double-post. Anyways...

I'm a big believer in the philosophy of Wendler's 5/3/1 program, both the simplicity of it and the programmed progression of the lifts week to week and cycle to cycle. But how do you build in similar progression for body weight lifts, especially if BW is near your working max weight?

Specifically, pull-ups. Let's assume I can do 5 sets of 3 (I might be able to do 3 sets of 5, but I'm not sure... I'm just getting back in the gym after a long layoff). Pull-ups have always been one of my favorite lifts, and I'd like to start making some systematic progress with them.

TIA.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I'd recommend continually getting fatter over time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Great idea.

And then as you needed to add more weight, wouldn't it be better to change that fat to muscle, because you know, muscle weighs more than fat.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    That's a good point.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I posted this in the general forums, but I wanted to target this group as well... so, yeah, double-post. Anyways...

I'm a big believer in the philosophy of Wendler's 5/3/1 program, both the simplicity of it and the programmed progression of the lifts week to week and cycle to cycle. But how do you build in similar progression for body weight lifts, especially if BW is near your working max weight?

Specifically, pull-ups. Let's assume I can do 5 sets of 3 (I might be able to do 3 sets of 5, but I'm not sure... I'm just getting back in the gym after a long layoff). Pull-ups have always been one of my favorite lifts, and I'd like to start making some systematic progress with them.

TIA.

If current weight is just perfect for the max reps needed, and you should be increasing weight for less reps - just gotta strap on some more weight.

What a good problem to have.

Since you enjoy them, you'll probably want the pull-up belt weight holder anyway - sounds like you'll needed it.

If you meant the other way around, too much weight for program's reps, just add some slow negatives for the extras.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

TIA.

I know this is pretty late to the party, but look up pavel's pull-up plan. As specifically laid out it's a huge volume doing them 5-6 days a week. But you can reduce the number of days / week and still progress.