Only Eat When You're Hungry or Three Squares?

Options
rparkerslim
rparkerslim Posts: 398 Member
I am accustomed to eating three meals a day; my dietitian says 3 plus 2 snacks, and today my low carb friend said only eat when you're hungry! How can I get the recommended amount of protein plus veggies if I only eat when I'm hungry? Just eat meat? Is there an answer out there?

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I concur with your friend. Eat to hunger. Don't force food in you. And the whole 3 squares plus 2 (or 3!) snacks just keeps your insulin elevated all day long and makes it harder for your body to burn fat. Paraphrasing Amy Berg here, but "eating more (often) to lose weight" is a dumb idea. IMHO.

With low carb your appetite can naturally drop and yes you'll eat fewer calories in those times, but there'll be other days when you're hungry, and you ought to just go ahead and eat. Stick to your macro ratios, but follow your hunger cues.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Prioritize meat and make veggies a simple accompaniment.
    If you find you’re not very hungry and are concerned about getting enough protein, you can choose leaner cuts for more protein density for the volume of food.
  • rparkerslim
    Options
    Thanks @River_Goddess !
  • rparkerslim
    Options
    Thanks you guys! @Steph_Maks what are my macros?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I lost my excess weight eating 3 square meals a day. It worked fine for me for weight and fat loss. Now I'm more inclined to eat when hungry though reminded that I'll be having dinner sometime around 8 or after. Seems like I ate all day yesterday. It's 7 pm at this time and I've not eaten yet except lots of decaf with half and half.

I'm not an advocate of snacking. I don't have a medical need for it and years ago, I "snacked" my way to 200+ pounds. ;)
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! @Steph_Maks what are my macros?

Macros (macronutrients) are your carbs, protein, and fat. Eat to hunger, but focus on protein and fat, and keep the carbs down.
  • rparkerslim
    Options
    Thanks @kpk54!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Typical day for me is to start out with a nice tall cool glass of water and some green tea. I usually don't eat until 11-11:30 am or so and try to make that my biggest meal of the day. Depending on the size of my lunch will dictate how large of a dinner I typically eat sometimes its just hibiscus tea and a protein bar other times I make something light. I try not to go past 1:00 pm without eating because I've done that before in the past when I lost track of time in my art studio and started to get a little out of sorts. For the most part I don't eat food from 7:30 pm until 11am the next day and do well.

Listen to your body 3 square might be right for you or modify it and see how you feel, that is what I did. Good luck
  • rparkerslim
    Options
    xerogs1 wrote: »
    Typical day for me is to start out with a nice tall cool glass of water and some green tea. I usually don't eat until 11-11:30 am or so and try to make that my biggest meal of the day. Depending on the size of my lunch will dictate how large of a dinner I typically eat sometimes its just hibiscus tea and a protein bar other times I make something light. I try not to go past 1:00 pm without eating because I've done that before in the past when I lost track of time in my art studio and started to get a little out of sorts. For the most part I don't eat food from 7:30 pm until 11am the next day and do well.

Listen to your body 3 square might be right for you or modify it and see how you feel, that is what I did. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions! They are great; I will experiment with different options, and see which one works best for me!
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For me, eating is generally a social activity. Eating 3 squares makes it easy to mesh with other people's schedules and the social support is probably as important as your eating plan.

Also, if I ate only when hungry, I'd eat continually! ;-)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    On average, I get in two meals a day. I think my ideal would be 3 meals with 30g+ protein at each, but I just don't find myself hungry in the mornings.
  • rparkerslim
    Options
    mranlett wrote: »
    For me, eating is generally a social activity. Eating 3 squares makes it easy to mesh with other people's schedules and the social support is probably as important as your eating plan.

Also, if I ate only when hungry, I'd eat continually! ;-)

I love it! You gave me my laugh for today!