Need to add more protein to meet my macro target

Options
Targets - eating low carb 10% or less - protein 35% - fats 55%. 1500 calories per day.

I'm looking for foods that are high in protein and low in carbs. I am staying under my calorie limit most days, but the fat and carbs are often too high and protein is too low.

Suggestions? Thank you.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I question why you need 130 or so grams of protein. Are you into power lifting or an elite athlete? I'm not anti protein it just seems to have gotten a little trendy in various circles where it need not be. I digress...

Choose leaner cuts of meat and fish. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese have decent protein content though they do have carbs to be counted. Eden black Soybeans are high in protein and low in NET carbs if you are counting net. 1 serving is something like 1 fat, 1 net carb and 11 protein. Great for bean soups, hummus, salads, etc.

I eat 1500 calories with macros set to 15% carbs, 25% protein and 60% fats. On days I hit my calories I'm close to all at about ~50 carbs and the others about 100 each. It's fairly easy. Are you eating real foods like basic meat, fish, vegetables and dairy?
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    The protein level came from the ruled.me calculator. 1gm. per lb. of lean body mass (I think). I do lift heavy three days a week - but I seem to be doing ok on my current levels of protein. Perhaps I should lower the protein level unless I feel a real physical need for more.

Appreciate the food suggestions. Leaner meat would help get me there, along with more cottage cheese. Was not aware of Eden black soybeans - I will check them out.

I eat very little processed food, so I'm good there. Thank you.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The amount seems totally reasonable to me.
    Chicken
    Canned tuna or salmon
    Sardines
    Shrimp
    Any leaner meats will help you with those ratios.
    I’m personally not a fan of anything soy