How much weight did you lose the first week?

Options
karirenae
karirenae Posts: 106 Member
I have just completely ( on Sunday) my first week of low carb :) I checked the scale for the first time in a week and I was down 4 lbs. Which is terrific. I do remember when I did this same lifestyle change about 3 years ago, that I lost a significant amount of weight. I have been monitoring my carbs and calories and I have been under 20 all days but one and that one day was exactly 20. My calories have all been around 1200 or less most days but 2, and one of those was 1900 and one was 1600.. Im just hoping that my first week of the "whoosh" wasnt only 4 lbs and I will start seeing an even slower loss.. I know any loss is great, but I get very down if it's not alot.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Your first amount of weight-loss is going to be mainly water.
    You should find it evens out and your weight loss will seem to slow, but in fact, a steady, small loss is better than big amounts.

Don't get down, get (and stick!) with the programme! :D
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The first week usually is woods because it’s a lot of water.
    Bit that means from now you’ll be losing more fat and not water. It’s a good thing.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    In answer to your question: I lost 6 pounds my 1st week of low carb eating.

In my 1st week of keto I lost zero pounds. I was however already in maintenance, eating maintenance calories and had been eating eating low carb for 3 years (just not keto level).
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I've never experienced the wish people talk about. The first week there was no change in the sale. Second week was also a big fat zero. However, after that I was a pretty stesy 1.5 lbs a week which adds up.

As an aside I don't do macros or net carbs. I strive for less than 35g of carbs in the regular and monitor calories. I don't check for or even strive for ketosis. But cause this has to be a lifestyle for me I do have days where I'm over 35g. My daily sversgr this last month has been 42g
  • jennordhavn
    jennordhavn Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I lost 3.6 my first week of low carb.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 lbs in my first week of Keto. BUT, for context, I was 314 lbs and a carb addict. I was retaining several pounds of water from inflammation.

If you have less to lose or didnt eat total crap before, your body might not need to drop sooooo much all at once. You're doing fabulous :)
  • rchelen
    rchelen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ^^ I was a carb addict too. Lost a good 7 lbs of water weight the first week.. I'm on week 3 now and the weight loss has stopped, but I'm not giving up. I actually enjoy this way of eating now.
  • mwillder1
    mwillder1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    3.5lbs...
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think it was around 4lbs. What I do remember for sure was I pee'd CONSTANTLY. OMG who knew a person could carry around that much water!!
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've just finished my first week in keto and my numbers are 3.3lb which is 1.19% loss. For perspective I'm now 274lb and prior to keto my average daily carbs were around 80-90g. It's not been an amazing loss as such. .1lb above my average for the last 2 months. But boy do I feel different. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    This varies so much from person to person so please be careful not to do too much comparing and analyzing yourself against others.
    I dropped a lot my first week 6 of the total 30-35 I wanted to lose. I was someone that ate a whole movie theater sized box of candy most every day. I must have had a lot of water weight from that.
    I then lost about 2 pounds a week for a bit until I lost 25 pounds and then all scale weight stopped entirely. I actually gained 2 pounds and that was over 2 years ago.
    I am still the same weight from that time today but I am a full pant size smaller.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I lost 6 lbs that first week. A month and a half later, I am down 20 pounds. The fast loss at the beginning has dwindled, but I am still losing fairly steadily. I too, was a carb addict. Loved my pastas and breads. Now, no longer even craving them. Be patient. I know, it's hard, especially when others talk about their massive losses. Every body is different. Some don't even see a loss on the scale, but their clothes fit better.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I lost 5lbs in the first week, & 5 1/2 in the second. I'm currently in the middle of my 3rd week, so I'm a keto-newbie as well.
  • tinaalvarado29
    tinaalvarado29 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be the end of my first week but as of this morning in was down 4lbs
  • jamielr84812
    jamielr84812 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first week! Down 8.7lbs!
  • Kastastrophie
    Kastastrophie Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    12lb my first week. I am on week 9 now :)
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5 and down 6.2 lbs so far. I started at 20 carbs then upped it to 30 after two days and kept losing at the same pace, so I'm going to see how it goes at 30 and adjust as needed. For context, I'm starting from 262 lbs.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I did not lose the first pound until day 45 in my case but I was losing inches before weight loss started. I have never dropped my carbs much under 50 grams daily and daily calories run in the 2000-2500 calorie range. My only really goal is to eat in a why to live to be 110 and walking and talking the entire way. While I am down about 50 pounds over the past 3 years I have never had any weight loss goals this time around trying to insure no regains of 100%+ like when losing weight over the last 40 years. Longevity goals work better for me then weight loss goals it seems. I am now 66 with more hindsight to work with I guess.

Best of success to each in finding methods that works for you personally. There are more than one way to skin a cat I have heard but my daughter hates that expression. :)
  • LowCarber50
    LowCarber50 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have only lost a lb in 10 days.. I think I need to eat fewer calories? I am staying under 30 net carbs per day and have started to work out.. but I do feel great, no inflammation or bloating so will continue on and maybe cut back on cheese..