EARLY Wednesday LTL 11/15/17

Options
Rachel0778
Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for November are:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - Calvin2008Brian
Wednesday - Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - jimb376 (Jim)

Topic:
I'm at a conference tomorrow so I'm posting early :)

Tuesday's Living the Lifestyle got me thinking. Are there current food or exercise recommendations that you don't buy into? What makes you choose differently?

Example from Tuesdays LTL post: full fat vs. low fat dairy

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    Are there current food or exercise recommendations that you don't buy into? What makes you choose differently?

I must say that I have not been paying much if any attention to exercise recommendations. I have not been sedentary by any means but I just haven't been ready or catching up on any articles lately. I will say that I am all in as far one should do some kind of exercise daily or at least 3-4 times a week.

As far as food is concerned I have been eating low fat vs full fat items for so many years that it's just part of me at this point. I mainly try to eat items that are at least lighter on the fat side ie; light stick butter or land o lakes light butter spread with canola oil. I also eat fat free sour cream or incorporate it into a dish if the opportunity exists. DW or I buy low sodium deli meats for sandwich's most of the time. I watch y sodium and I do buy into the foods that are a lighter affair.

SW 400.8
    CW 317.7
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

83.1 lbs Total lost
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Don't buy into?

Guess the low fat ship has sailed.

Question flip- I did make a conscious effort to eat more protein. Not a keto or Atkins trip, just more protein. I weigh about 5 lbs less than when I started this about 6 months ago.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more protein and watch my carb intake. I do eat lower fat foods.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    I haven't found milk to be necessary. Something like 8o%+ of the world population don't do milk beyond infancy and are not calcium deficient.
    Also there have been some great studies of activity from Dr Ken Cooper who basically coined or popularized the word "Aerobics" (title of his original book) that indicate if we move enough we don't really need to elevate our heart rate that much to achieve some aerobic fitness.
    He found a group of "housewives" who were quite aerobically fit indeed and likely didn't raise their HR that much but also didn't stop moving much during the day either. He was surprised.
    It is important to move every day but you don't need a gym or zumba tape to control blood sugar and attain some aerobic capacity too.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Milk and me don't agree. I'm doing just fine with my almond milk and calcium supplements (per my physician).

I've never bought into the fat free craze. I use ghee (clarified butter) with my morning omelete. I eat grass fed beef (85/15). I'd eat cheese but it also doesn't agree with me (casein protein intolerance). I've found a vegan cheese that works well for recipes but isn't palatable at room temperature like real cheese. My lipid profiles are great.

I also roll my eyes when the sugar shamers get on their soapbox. When I do my endurance bike rides, runs, and hikes, there is plenty of simple sugar consumption in the form of drinks (Tailwind) and gels. Sometimes there is a real Coke at the last aid station for a long bike ride or run. My blood glucose numbers are fine.

What I don't do these days is start my day off with a bunch of simple carbs accompanied by a real Coke. Instead I have my omelete which gives me a nice amount of protein and a couple of servings of vegetables. I drink a cup of hot tea, plain.

I also don't shy away from the salt shaker as I tend toward low blood pressure.

I'm at the gym or outdoors nearly every day of the year. Physical activity is not only good for my body, but also for my mind. It is a great mood booster/stress reliever.

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Given that there are no fat-free or low-fat cows, where does the all the fat removed from all those reduced fat dairy products go?

Reminds me of the famous Boneless Chicken Ranch.
    k35maqms9i6h.png
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I can easily find out *how* reduced fat dairy products are made, but am not quick to find what happens to the residual fat.

How Skim Milk Is Made
    So how is skim milk made? Traditionally, the fat was removed naturally from milk due to gravity. If fresh milk is left to sit and settle, the cream — which is where most of the fat is — rises to the top, leaving behind milk with much less fat.

The quicker, modernized way of making low-fat and skim milks is to place the whole milk into a machine called a centrifugal separator, which spins some or all of the fat globules out of the milk. This occurs before the milk is homogenized, a process which reduces all the milk particles to the same size so that natural separation doesn't occur anymore.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Cream, ice-cream, half-and-half, redi-whip, butter, etc.... probably consume most of the fat would be my guess.
  • 88olds
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian I met someone who worked at Kraft. LF was a great thing- charged a premium to remove fat, put it in bottles and sold it.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options

Tuesday's Living the Lifestyle got me thinking. Are there current food or exercise recommendations that you don't buy into? What makes you choose differently?

Example from Tuesdays LTL post: full fat vs. low fat dairy

As per yesterday, my list of things I don't buy into is probably a lot... never actually put them all in one place before which is interesting because I believe in evaluating the way I live and believe critically - if it doesn't stand up to scrutiny, I should probably look more closely at it to find out if that belief still suits me.

Diet/health/exercise recommendations I don't buy into:

1. Low fat diets
    2. Food group restriction ( i.e. Cut out all sugar/carbs)
    3. Superfoods
    4. Cleanses
    5. Avoiding GMO
    6. Organic food (kinda - I do pay attention to the dirty dozen list)
    7. "Starvation mode"/ Metabolism fatigue/Adrenal fatigue, etc
    8. "Free" diets (aka Gluten free, Dairy free, Soy free, etc) unless required by medical issues
    9. Veganism
  • 88olds
    Options
    Going to answer again.

I don’t buy into “diets” as in going on and falling off. Still recall my first month at WW and my amazement at what I call the WW revolving door. But the spinning through the program started before people dropped out of the meeting.

If there were 25 people at my meeting, I doubt more than 3 or 4 had tracked for 7 days. On track, off track, on program, off program. And it always seemed to be the same- ate too much, quit tracking. Followed by, don’t track, don’t lose, quit meeting. I couldn’t live like that.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I shouldn't have read all your answers first; now it's hard to think of anything original to add. Good question and thoughtful answers though. That's what I love about this daily thread!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    Agree w gadgetgirlI . I wouldn 't do a long bike ride (up to 100 mi) without a lot of simple sugars. Simple sugar although overused in soda pop diets is mostly harmful when we are sedentary.