I'm glad I found you

Options
takuwinds
takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
I am 50 year old, 4 year post op lap band. I have lost 50 pounds and gained 10 and was on pause for a long time. Last summer I decided to get back into MFP and just lose 10 because my pants were getting tight. I went beyond losing 10 pounds. I really want to lose 10 more, or even 15 more. What really got me motivated was my favorite nurse at the clinic. She checked my bp and it was so high. I had to start eating better and get exercise everyday to get my bp under control. She said "I'm telling you this because I like you and I want you to stay above ground longer". So when I found a group of people that had WLS like me and using MFP, I was happy. If you don't mind, I will be leaning on you for inspiration and motivation and I will do the same in return.

Replies

• fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    takuwinds wrote: »
    I am 50 year old, 4 year post op lap band. I have lost 50 pounds and gained 10 and was on pause for a long time. Last summer I decided to get back into MFP and just lose 10 because my pants were getting tight. I went beyond losing 10 pounds. I really want to lose 10 more, or even 15 more. What really got me motivated was my favorite nurse at the clinic. She checked my bp and it was so high. I had to start eating better and get exercise everyday to get my bp under control. She said "I'm telling you this because I like you and I want you to stay above ground longer". So when I found a group of people that had WLS like me and using MFP, I was happy. If you don't mind, I will be leaning on you for inspiration and motivation and I will do the same in return.

Congratulations on 10 pounds down.
    I'm 49 and 4 years out from sleeve surgery. I just started losing again. Its slow but I will take it. Feel free to add me for support.

Side note : I'm on a bariatric holiday challenge. Its keeping me motivated.
    https://bariatricpal.com/topic/405476-holiday-challenge-spreadsheet/
  • takuwinds
    Options
    I was on the bariatric pal a long time ago for support. The last time I reached out for support I said I was thinking about removing my lap band because my weight loss had stalled and I was feeling really bad about myself. A member replied that I should just give up and asked "do you really hate yourself that much, then just give up". That was the end of that. I have not been back on that sight since. MFP is better for me, better and kinder people.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Welcome!

• loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was on the bariatric pal a long time ago for support. The last time I reached out for support I said I was thinking about removing my lap band because my weight loss had stalled and I was feeling really bad about myself. A member replied that I should just give up and asked "do you really hate yourself that much, then just give up". That was the end of that. I have not been back on that sight since. MFP is better for me, better and kinder people.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I've never understood why people who are also losing weight, maintaining weight loss or have regained are mean to other people struggling to get healthy. The people here at MFP are great. I've never experienced any judgment and everyone celebrates the small losses along with the biggest losses. People are honest with their struggles and no one thinks themselves the 'know it all' that I've found on other sites. You'll like it here.

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    loveshoe wrote: »

I'm sorry this happened to you. I've never understood why people who are also losing weight, maintaining weight loss or have regained are mean to other people struggling to get healthy. The people here at MFP are great. I've never experienced any judgment and everyone celebrates the small losses along with the biggest losses. People are honest with their struggles and no one thinks themselves the 'know it all' that I've found on other sites. You'll like it here.

I have. MFP users are not very nice to people who have had weight loss surgery. They think we are cheaters.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    loveshoe wrote: »

I have. MFP users are not very nice to people who have had weight loss surgery. They think we are cheaters.

Yes, the people on the main boards are brutal towards WLS patients sometimes, and most of them are completely uninformed. I have been in this group for years and the people and support are awesome.
  • takuwinds
    Options
    I don't ever share with just any body about my WLS because of negative reactions. I know I can share my story or offer support with people who have had WLS. Like I said, I'm glad I found you.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I just started going back to bariatric pal. I was one of the people that left due to the trolls. Many people were not surgery patient's. They were just there to cause problems. The owner has good intentions. But he sucked at monitoring the site. Hope things have changed with bp.... So far so good.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I stay in this group at MFP and spend most of my time at ObesityHelp.com. It’s a WLS support site. The support is much better than BariatricPal where it’s mostly the blind leading the blind. Though OH members have some strong opinions about Lap Bands as so many folks there have had to have them removed/revised due to complications.
  • takuwinds
    Options
    I have been really lucky with my band since I had surgery 4 years ago. It's too bad some people have had problems with it. My dad had gastric bypass and was very successful . I believed it saved his life and gave us 10 more years with him. I totally support WLS if it means better health. Thanks clcmfp, I will check out ObesityHelp.com