WLS in Central America or Doctors who do online consulations

Options
Hi,

I am looking to have Weight Loss Surgery. I started losing weight about 2 months ago and I started the insurance mandated, 6-month, physician supervised weight loss program about a month ago.

The problem I have is that, though I am from the United States, I don't currently live there. I live and work overseas. I am currently in Central America and I am going to head to Africa about this time next year.

I would just have the surgery done here, but I have such a complicated medical history, i.e. multiple abdominal surgeries, I would feel more comfortable doing it at home. However, every single surgeon's office around where my family is from wants you to attend seminars and information sessions. I have tried reaching out to a few via email, see if I can do an VOIP consultation, but so far, no response. I have no idea how to even get my foot in the door. It is a bit disheartening.

Has anyone done surgery in Mexico, El Salvador, or Costa Rica? Would you recommend it?

Do you know a surgeon in the North East of the States (PA/NY/NJ area) who would be willing to do online consultations? I can do any pre-diagnostic work here.

Replies

• thechadtx
    thechadtx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A receptionist at my NUT's office is having it done in Mexico soon...Possibly even this week actually?! I'm not scheduled to go back there until December, but I know she'll fill me in if she has returned. I'll try to remember to ask her specifics and report back to you. She's been talking about it nonstop since I started going there. Her and her husband are both doing it as a matter of fact. I think it was $10K for both of them.

I hope you find some more answers here. Good luck. :)
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I believe there are a couple people who have had it done in Mexico that post here quite often. In one of the FB groups I belong to a girl had hers performed in Mexico and had excellent results. The only difference between our surgeries was she received staples and I had stitches that dissolved. I can check and see where her surgery was performed if you want!
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This office has the online seminar: https://seminar.advancedsurgicalpartnersofva.com/viewseminar.aspx

It’s in Richmond, VA though...
  • WatchitBeginAgain
    WatchitBeginAgain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I having such a hard go of trying to do this from overseas.