Awful acne with keto!

Options
I've been following the keto diet for two weeks. I've never had acne in my life: now my face looks terrible! I have acne on my face-my chin, above my lip, my forehead, and on my nose. I don't have this painful zits anywhere else on my body. I'm not sweating, I stay within my macros, I drink like a crazy woman: I'm at a loss. I can't do this. This things hurt and look so bad: a face full of whiteheads when you're 50 is just odd. Anyone got any advice? I started using Oxy-- a facial cleanser for acne. I had been using hydrocortisone when they first popped up, but that did nothing-- they just keep coming. It's embarrassing. Everyone talks about how much better their skin is on keto: my is awful. I'm down 10 pounds in 2 weeks, but this is a bit much. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jessica

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I have no real advice except that maybe your body is still adjusting? Some people react oddly to a big macro switch at first. I don't know.

I was one of the lucky one who had my adult onset acne clear up on this diet. For me, sugar and carbs = pimples.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What supplements are you taking? Have any of your skincare ingredients changed in the last month?
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Keto helped my acne clear up so I don't have any first hand advice to offer. I wonder if it's perhaps a hormone thing? I know keto can help regulate hormones so this could be a temporary thing while your body adjusts. Another thought is that perhaps you are eating more of a food your body is sensitive to? Is there anything you didn't much of before that you eat a lot of now?
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My skin improved with Keto. Previously, I've had problems with caffeine making my skin break out. Or it could be that your body is releasing toxins that were being held in the fat cells??
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm taking magnesium, iron, and have increased my sodium. I've never in my life used face products including makeup. I don't know what this is!
    Lbf321 wrote: »
    What supplements are you taking? Have any of your skincare ingredients changed in the last month?

• Losinandmovin
    Options
    I was one of those fat people who ate low fat--so the only thing that's different in my diet is the addition of fat. I always eat small amounts of cheese and occasional milk. This is so odd. The fact that it's just on my face like hormonal zits-- I don't get it.

anglyn1 wrote: »
    Keto helped my acne clear up so I don't have any first hand advice to offer. I wonder if it's perhaps a hormone thing? I know keto can help regulate hormones so this could be a temporary thing while your body adjusts. Another thought is that perhaps you are eating more of a food your body is sensitive to? Is there anything you didn't much of before that you eat a lot of now?

• Losinandmovin
    Options
    My skin improved with Keto. Previously, I've had problems with caffeine making my skin break out. Or it could be that your body is releasing toxins that were being held in the fat cells??

If it's hormones from my fat... I have a lot of fat to lose! Is this gonna last forever is my question!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    No advice here either unfortunately! I've always dealt with the pesky pimple here and there before keto. After keto, I hardly ever break out. If I do, it's due to stress.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Have you significantly increased your dairy since going Keto? My niece cut out dairy and her acne disappeared. I know that would be difficult on Keto but not impossible.Maria Emmerich's book, "30 Day Ketogenic Cleanse", is completely dairy free. Even if you don't follow her plan (she uses intermittent fasting), you could used the recipes.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My skin cleared up right away going low carb. One thing I did notice was I added some butter to my diet over the weekend and I broke out big time for about a day and then it subsided. It was something I don't normally eat so I chalked it up to that food type. It is a stressful time of year so I normally tend to break out now and then in the winter plus the adjustment from warm to cool weather and fluctuating office temperatures I sometimes find myself on the warmer side than I normally am.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C may help stop you from breaking out. I can't guarantee it will work for you but it's helped me in the past.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    No answer in your case but I remember a lot of weird changes went on especially for my first 6 months of keto. Best of success.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Your body stores excess hormones with fat (especially if you drink and drink coffee as you liver filters based on what kills you first so it deals with alcohol before hormones) if you are now burning that fat its possible the excess hormones are back into your blood stream and affecting your skin.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You were low fat, so your body was not likely able to make the hormones it needed due to lack of raw materials - now you have plenty of fat, it might be overproducing in response. Also, as you metabolize fat estrogen is released, because it's stored in fat. So hormones can be a bit wonky in the beginning...give it some time, 30-90 days and everything should settle...Mary Kay makes an Acne Treatment Gel that is great for clearing up any kind of zit.