Keto Life :)

Options
dbkyser
dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
Is anyone else cruising through the Thanksgiving season with out cheating and not even craving sweets.
I have made it through the first few festivities and not even tempted.

I have been doing Keto and lifting and things are going great.
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and weekend.

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    dbkyser wrote: »
    Is anyone else cruising through the Thanksgiving season with out cheating and not even craving sweets.
    I have made it through the first few festivities and not even tempted.

I have been doing Keto and lifting and things are going great.
    Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and weekend.

and to you!! :)
  • Mrburns44
    Mrburns44 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It was tough because my birthday and thanksgiving were right next to each other but I stuck to keto even eating out!
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I made it thru and came out the other side a couple pounds lighter! Whoo hooo! I did have a small taste of our traditional dinner, but stuck to eating just turkey, broccoli, green beans. The taste was Indian Hash made with potatoes, hamburg & sausage with herbs and spices; corn & cranberries. Literally just a tbsp of each. Oh, plus I made some keto pumpkin muffins which was great! But way too many calories! It was a good treat though.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I made it thru and came out the other side a couple pounds lighter! Whoo hooo! I did have a small taste of our traditional dinner, but stuck to eating just turkey, broccoli, green beans. The taste was Indian Hash made with potatoes, hamburg & sausage with herbs and spices; corn & cranberries. Literally just a tbsp of each. Oh, plus I made some keto pumpkin muffins which was great! But way too many calories! It was a good treat though.

Good for you!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I actually passed on the carb heavy foods this Thanksgiving. I was very tempted by the pumpkin pie but I didn't give into the peer pressure at the table and there was considerable pressure. I did get some low carb tortillas and they were my treat for the long weekend. I am planning on freezing the rest until I hit maintenance since they tend to stall my weight loss.

It felt good to say no and when I started to feel like I wanted something sweet I ate a protein bar instead of all sweets at the table.

Holiday season is a tough time. Everything revolves around meals and my wife is vegan junk food junkie which never makes it easy. Ahhhh well on to the New Year.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I didn't cruise through Thanksgiving, as my birthday is also that week and I traveled to stay with my parents. Oh well, I am back to work and back at it now, with only a 4 lb temporary gain and working to get back into ketosis this week. It is always easier to weather the holidays at home, rather than at someone else's house!
  • Thundyrstorm
    Thundyrstorm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had a great holiday I actually fasted from Wednesday night to Saturday afternoon, when I broke fast I ate my thanksgiving dinner, was not too bad was a bit high on my protein for my normal stats but not that bad, carbs & fat were in order.
    It was such a great experience I plan to fast starting 7pm this Friday to Tuesday the 5th!
  • taypop5
    taypop5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am OBSESSED!! ❤️
    Good for you .
    I have been discovering keto over the last two weeks and this is the FIRST time I've EVER been able to follow a "diet" with a previous history of ED. I'm now starting to believe (after checking my blood glucose several times) that perhaps the blood glucose roller coaster came BEFORE the ED and triggered it to habit?? Who knows.
    But in two effortless, easy weeks I have lost the easiest 8lbs (and continuing to drop), stabilized blood glucose (monitoring it), eliminated cravings (no guys - actually - from a previous binge eater/ bulimic who has DONE the work for the psychological aspect). I have insane energy - like I can't sleep
  • taypop5
    taypop5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For some reason cut my post short??

Where was I-
    Can't sleep - this may not be a good thing.
    I am planning to continue this lifestyle. I feel fantastic and satiated. I eat at hunger but I'm frequently filled up quickly . Urges to binge = gone
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I use a topical magnesium right before bed, helps me sleep. Your body can't uptake melatonin without sufficient magnesium, plus magnesium is a muscle relaxer.
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    taypop5 wrote: »
    For some reason cut my post short??

Where was I-
    Can't sleep - this may not be a good thing.
    I am planning to continue this lifestyle. I feel fantastic and satiated. I eat at hunger but I'm frequently filled up quickly . Urges to binge = gone

This sounds fantastic, well done and enjoy the journey! Just remember once you are fat adapted it gets easier and easier the key is if you go over or have a day or two not keeping to it, your weight will go up. DO NOT WORRY! This is water weight and will come off as soon as you go back on track, well; within a few days. What I'm saying is, don't feel all is lost if you eat out with friends or whatever and gain a bit, just start again and don't give up. I think that's the most important thing, a day or two is reversible, it's when we think we've 'failed' it all goes wrong. You won't have failed you'll have had a blip like most humans!!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Ah, the great keto life. Have to find my way back. I recall those wonderful non craving, energetic, and satisfied feelings. Pounds melting away.
    Thanks for the inspiring success stories.
    One holiday down, one to go.

• HayloHorrible
    HayloHorrible Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also restarted Keto on Sunday. Today was my first day in months where I was able to stay under 20 carbs I am looking forward to the cravings being gone! But I found sooo many recipes for Keto pies, cookies and other treats. I ended making Keto chocolate peanut butter "fat bombs" omg so good. Do you guys know which is the best sugar substitute?
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Ah, the great keto life. Have to find my way back. I recall those wonderful non craving, energetic, and satisfied feelings. Pounds melting away.
    Thanks for the inspiring success stories.
    One holiday down, one to go.

You can do this, start again now and the next holiday will see you lighter and feeling better! Holidays are fun but a blip we have to accept! >:)
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    I also restarted Keto on Sunday. Today was my first day in months where I was able to stay under 20 carbs I am looking forward to the cravings being gone! But I found sooo many recipes for Keto pies, cookies and other treats. I ended making Keto chocolate peanut butter "fat bombs" omg so good. Do you guys know which is the best sugar substitute?

I think that if you keep having sugar and sugar substitutes the cravings will never go, depressing but true! Give cutting them out a try and look at other wonderful Keto recipes for non sweet things that will help you get away from the cravings. I know it's hard, I think every time I used to go a a 'regular' diet the first thing I started to do was read cookery books and want to cook all the things I couldn't have!
  • rondineff7266
    rondineff7266 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did cave on Thanksgiving but have since gotten back on the horse
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    I did cave on Thanksgiving but have since gotten back on the horse

well done, everyone deserves a cave the important thing is getting back to it so it doesn't become the most gigantic cave in the world and swallows you whole!
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Well had my first mistake in 3 months last night. New town, new places to eat had done great for a week. I went to a place that was doing Karaoke and ordered a small order of wings for dinner. You guessed it they were breaded. Luckily there were only 8 and Urine sticks still show Ketosis this morning. I will test my blood in a few hours and see. I was up a couple lbs but am sure that is just water weight.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @dbkyser - You can order "naked" wings...which generally means without breading. If you order them naked, most of the times, the server will say, "I'm sorry, all of our wings are breaded" or something...

That being said, as long as you stay active and on plan, this, as you anticipated, is only a minor blip!