New to low carb and peeing like crazy

I have started a low carb diet about a week ago and it is going well but I notice I am getting up often at night to pee. I usually never do this. i am not drinking more than usual. Is this related to the diet? Also I have dropped 7 pounds in a week and I continue to eat a lot. The only difference is I am eating few carbs. Is that an usual amount of weight to drop so quickly?

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    I have started a low carb diet about a week ago and it is going well but I notice I am getting up often at night to pee. I usually never do this. i am not drinking more than usual. Is this related to the diet? Also I have dropped 7 pounds in a week and I continue to eat a lot. The only difference is I am eating few carbs. Is that an usual amount of weight to drop so quickly?

Yes it is! What happens when you eat carbs is that they attract water and store that as well, when you stop or reduce carbs the water is released and you pee it out and out and out! So what you are loosing just now is water weight but if you stick to it you will start to loose 'fat' weight. That is slower so just enjoy the rush down just now!

Also you will notice if you eat more carbs then you will suddenly put on what seems to be a load of weight, say 1 to 4 lbs overnight. Ignore this, it's water again and if you just go back to the low carb/keto then it will come off again and once more up in the night again while you pee it out! If you did eat more carbs one day, you will notice immediately that night you are unlikely to get up to pee!

To be honest I still get up a couple of times a night to pee as when you drink liquids they have less to bind with so out the excess goes! Don't stop drinking lots as it helps flush the system.

This is a really, really very simplistic version of a whole biochemical reaction by the way!!!
  • wornoutcowboy
    wornoutcowboy Posts: 11 Member

Yes it is! What happens when you eat carbs is that they attract water and store that as well, when you stop or reduce carbs the water is released and you pee it out and out and out! So what you are loosing just now is water weight but if you stick to it you will start to loose 'fat' weight. That is slower so just enjoy the rush down just now!

Also you will notice if you eat more carbs then you will suddenly put on what seems to be a load of weight, say 1 to 4 lbs overnight. Ignore this, it's water again and if you just go back to the low carb/keto then it will come off again and once more up in the night again while you pee it out! If you did eat more carbs one day, you will notice immediately that night you are unlikely to get up to pee!

To be honest I still get up a couple of times a night to pee as when you drink liquids they have less to bind with so out the excess goes! Don't stop drinking lots as it helps flush the system.

This is a really, really very simplistic version of a whole biochemical reaction by the way!!!

Thanks for the info. It helps to know.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    You will want to start supplementing sodium at a rate of 3000-5000mg or possibly even more every day as you lose a lot of sodium with all that water. Getting your sodium up can help you retain water better too.