Living the Lifestyle Wednesday 11/29/17

Options
Rachel0778
Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for November are:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - Calvin2008Brian
Wednesday - Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - jimb376 (Jim)

Topic: Bah Humbug! We are officially in the holiday season, a time of joy and cheer! On the flip side, what makes you grinchy? What are you NOT looking forward to this month?

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    For me it's work related social obligations (and it's even worse because it's due to my SO's job and not mine). Tonight I've got a 5 hour volunteering shift with the organization he's on the board of directors for, this weekend we have a Diversity Dinner, next week we have his holiday party and the city's gala event. The week after is the Bar Association Christmas party. Small talk and uncomfortable holiday outfits, ugh. This is the time of year I remind him it's lucky I love him so much ;)
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    Two x-mas bazaars with SO/aka wife. Will sample some glűhwein at the German one. This too will pass and "holidays" happen year round..
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I, too, dread the work-related holiday parties. For better or for worse, there's never kosher food, so we don't get to eat anything at these, and I'm mostly stuck having a few drinks. The drinks, at least, make the small-talk a bit easier though!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Our fall semester ends too close to the holidays IMHO. Grades are due 12/20.

I don't have many social obligations to deal with, thankfully. A friend has a holiday gathering on 12/16. There will be a work potluck at some point - probably after finals week.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    Crowd size in retail spaces. When I am surrounded by massive numbers of people, who are seemingly oblivious to anyone besides themselves, my anxiety levels max out, leaving my "grinchy" at the least. And, yes, this has been known to result in me self-medicating with food.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Things I don't like about the holidays... Hrm. Not much, I don't think this year.

Most of my shopping will be online to avoid the crowds, and I enjoy the treats that are produced in copious quantities everywhere I go - but I do choose which to partake in, and how much... that gives me a sense of control, so I am not just at the whim of every holiday cookie that passes my nose.

I think if I have one complaint, it is that my MIL is visiting, so that will be an interruption to the household, and that can cause stress. Not that I mind her company... but we don't speak the same language (she only speaks Bulgarian, and I don't), and I have a DW that definitely wears her stress on her sleeve, and is sensitive to interruptions in the daily routine... so there is that.

But - I will weather through it. It's only a few weeks, and most of it will be fun.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    >On the flip side, what makes you grinchy?

It starts way too soon and lasts way to long, to the point that any special feelings about the Christmas/NewYears season are beaten into submission. If your special season is 10% of the calendar year, you don't really have a special season.

Also, get off my lawn.

;-)
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    >On the flip side, what makes you grinchy?

If your special season is 10% of the calendar year, you don't really have a special season.

Sort of lays bare the adage "It's a holi-DAY, not a holi-MONTH", don't it.

I'm hard pressed to think of anything specific about this time of year I don't like. There are few holiday functions I attend that I don't enjoy. My wife will go to one of these with me. Which is fine because I understand how boring it must be for her to go to a function where she really doesn't know anybody. We don't tend to have a lot of social obligations we can't duck out of, so we're generally not overwhelmed. I like the end of year wind-down.

OTOH, I just hate January. The weather makes everybody's mood intolerable. And everybody's mood makes the weather intolerable. It's a long long long month.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian said it well!
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm in pretty good spirits this year. I don't know of anything that would make me ba hum bug ! this year. Pretty gppd balance between social and church functions. The only thing DW and I want to declutter our house and we've been putting it off so got to get that done.

SW 400.8
    CW 320.3
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

80.5 lbs Total lost