What Happens When Keto for 2+ Years

Options
Hi Everyone,

I feel like there is always a post on someone's labs but I really would like some clarificiation...
Just a little background:
I'm 5'3.5 feet tall
27 (turning 28 next month)
Keto for 2.5 years
Finally got a physical and blood work done in October (been eating at a deficit since April)

Here's the stats:
Total Cholesterol: 193 mg/dL
Trig: 44 mg/dL
HDL: 74 mg/dL
vLDL: 9 mg/dL
LDL: 110 mg/dL
T. Chol/HDL ratio: 2.6
Glucose: 82 mg/dL

Now why is my LDL higher than my HDL??
Yes trigs are low and I know that LDL count doesn't really matter, it's the size that matters... but still. Help?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You may get a lot of opinions on this, but here's what I think (after about the same time on LC).

LDL is a risk factor. It's not a huge factor, but it's well established as a factor.

Saturated fat in the diet increases LDL for many people. This is one reason why saturated fat has been vilified for 50+ years.

For most people, a keto/LC diet is high in SFA. It doesn't have to be. If you're concerned about LDL, drop SFA and increase MUFA, for example.

But a much bigger risk factor is insulin resistance, which is typically characterized by low HDL and high TG.

Your TG/HDL is fantastic. You are in the lowest risk category, and your diet obviously contributed to that.

Here's part of the story in graphical form.

main-qimg-c438a31f26526f9e254c4d987978e697-c

21.jpg
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Two screens at the end of that Phinney video say it all:

k01c6gbd4329.png
    ah0wsiz0dwbk.png
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think optimal LDL (considered medically perfect and ignoring particle size) for a higher carb, typical SAD diet is under 100 mg/dL. You are pretty close to perfect - the good side of normal anyways. Borderline high starts at over 130, and high is over 160... I think.

I believe optimal HDL is over 60. Yours is awesome.

But if you look at the optimal numbers of HDL>60 and LDL<100, you'll see that LDL is usually going to be higher than HDL. That's pretty normal.

Plus your vLDL is a tiny number. Your less dense LDL must be 90+% of your LDL - a good thing. :)

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the graphs.
  • PrimalForLife
    PrimalForLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I feel like there is always a post on someone's labs but I really would like some clarificiation...
    Just a little background:
    I'm 5'3.5 feet tall
    27 (turning 28 next month)
    Keto for 2.5 years
    Finally got a physical and blood work done in October (been eating at a deficit since April)

Here's the stats:
    Total Cholesterol: 193 mg/dL
    Trig: 44 mg/dL
    HDL: 74 mg/dL
    vLDL: 9 mg/dL
    LDL: 110 mg/dL
    T. Chol/HDL ratio: 2.6
    Glucose: 82 mg/dL

Now why is my LDL higher than my HDL??
    Yes trigs are low and I know that LDL count doesn't really matter, it's the size that matters... but still. Help?

Do you happen to have your numbers *before* you went Keto? I'd be curious to see the effects of 2+ years on those markers...