Just started eating clean, feeling sick

Options
arl1286
arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
For a summarized version, read the bolded stuff.

I'm 20, female, 155 lbs/69ish kg
(after a 15 pound gain while studying abroad). Vegetarian. No health problems. Really active (run 5 days a week, try to lift 3). I've always said that I've eaten really really well, and then I've eaten dessert.

During Lent this year I decided to eat 100% clean. After about three days, I had no energy and felt like passing out all the time, so rather than push through it, I added your run-of-the-mill whole grain breads, pastas, and tortillas back into the mix for the entire 40 day period (as in, the ones with all the weird additives, high fructose corn syrup, etc.). The passing out feeling went away, and I felt pretty good for the 40 days.

I decided I wanted to give it another go, but this time without the breads (I plan on making my own bread on occasion, so I can control what goes in it). Anyway, I'm on day 3 and I just feel awful. I developed a headache yesterday afternoon that lasted until today (finally caved and took an Aspirin this afternoon, but it still didn't go completely away). I went on a run and when I finished, I was lightheaded and felt almost like I was going to vomit.

What I've been eating really isn't anything different than what I ever ate-- just minus the breads and the chocolate. Still keeping up my calories, too.

SO, are these symptoms normal of someone who probably ate 75% clean previously? How long do they last? Aside from being really unpleasant, I'm training for a half marathon in 6 weeks and I need to get my training runs in.

Thanks a ton!

Replies

• bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be carbs,they dont have to be full of cornsyrup.clean eating dosnt mean starving fuell your body for your workout in a clean carb way .i think it more likely that verses because of your clean eating...
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I wondered about that. My carb intake has decreased, but really only slightly (went from about 50-55% to 45% or so). Any suggestions for carb-packed clean foods?
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Well i would go for fruit , but i think whole wheat pasta of some sort would be good of course ones with out the extra (stuff...cornsyrup..i just know from checking into gluclose. Fruit works well and fast. Peanutbutter. Organic. Natural ......i hope. This help.s not feeling real great right know so this is the best i can do .
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You're probably not getting enough salt if you cut out processed foods. Have a cup of broth or be sure to salt your food liberally and see how you do. Good luck. :)