Yogurt

Options
Is yogurt a no go when doing Keto? I had a look at the market today but they all seem pretty high in sugar. Any tips?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @wornoutcowboy -

I'm a T2 diabetic, and I can tolerate modest amounts of full-fat, unsweetened, plain yogurt (preferably with live probiotic cultures).

Here are a couple interesting links:

1. https://www.ketovangelist.com/the-keto-guide-to-dairy -
    "Fermented milks

This category includes milk products like yogurt or kefir. Fermented milk products may or may not be acceptable on a Ketogenic diet for those with severe insulin resistance, depending on personal tolerance levels.

While these products are made from milk, the sugar content of the end product is greatly reduced. During fermentation, microorganisms feed off the lactose in the milk and leave behind lactic acid as waste (the increased acidity is what gives these products their tang), thickening it in the process. In fermented milk products that are made from whole milk, the vast majority of the milk sugar is “eaten” during this process, leaving a relatively low carbohydrate count. A one cup serving of full fat, plain Greek yogurt contains approximately 8 grams fat, 22 grams protein, and 8 grams sugar.

As long as your yogurt or other fermented milk product is made from full fat milk and does not contain added sugars or flavorings, the typical ketonian may enjoy these foods in small quantities."

2. Cornucopia.org's scorecard for organic yogurts sold in the US:

https://www.cornucopia.org/scorecard/yogurt/
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I eat ~50 total carbs/day and have Greek yogurt a few times a week.

I've seen similar info before @RalfLott but don't recall it indicating the specifics regarding full fat versus lower fat. I was eating 0 fat for a while because it was my favorite Greek Plain. Store brand-Taste of inspirations. The store I shop, now has it in full fat so I switched a couple weeks ago and just eat a little less to spare the calories. Happy. Happy. Thanks.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The cool thing about Greek yogurt is the low-fat doesn't mean high-sugar. I just switched to 2% Fage. Check out the nutrition label.

Here's the low-fat:

fage-total-2-7oz_nutrition.jpg

And here's the full-fat:

fage-total-full-fat-7oz_nutrition.jpg

Same carbs in both. More protein in the low-fat. (As well as less fat and lower calories, of course.)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hey @wabmester, what have they added to the low fat Greek yogourt to increase its protein? They probably add to thicken and increase the richness of the mouthfeel, I guess. We don't have Fage here. I must say I'm having a heck of a time finding any unsweetened plain yogurt whatever fat content (nevermind full fat Greek) while we're travelling in the States. Maybe in Whole Foods? but I haven't checked there on this trip.... Over 3 weeks w/o yogourt of any kind is making me a sad girl.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Peak double cream yogurt (only available in the Northern California area right now). Quark whole fat German Style Cheese. Kite Hill brand (almond based) yogurt. Some of the goat-milk brand yogurts are pretty low in carbs per serving (I'm talking the unsweetened varieties here across the board). Red wood hill brand yogurt. Capretta brand yogurt. White Mountain Foods Bulgarian Yogurt. All of these can be sweetened with a few drops of your preferred liquid sweetener and that's very simple and easy to do. Sooo, if it fits your macros (IIFYM), knock yourself out. The key to successfully being able to follow AND STICK to any way of eating, including Keto, is to make it work for you and if that means eating yogurt, then find a way to eat and enjoy yogurt! :) There's also a brand called Karb Masters available at some grocery stores that have flavored yogurts at I think 4 carbs per serving(?) but they flavors are just sort of "meh." If you try them, just make sure that you don't accidentally get the ones with the fruit mix-ins which are much higher carb.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Not sure what you mean @canadjineh. They don't add anything extra -- it just takes more low-fat milk to get the same amount of yogurt, so you end up with more protein from the extra milk.

Interestingly, in the case of Fage, they give you the same amount of yogurt per serving for the full-fat and 2%, but if you buy the 0%, it's 170g instead 200g.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Hey @wabmester, what have they added to the low fat Greek yogourt to increase its protein? They probably add to thicken and increase the richness of the mouthfeel, I guess. We don't have Fage here. I must say I'm having a heck of a time finding any unsweetened plain yogurt whatever fat content (nevermind full fat Greek) while we're travelling in the States. Maybe in Whole Foods? but I haven't checked there on this trip.... Over 3 weeks w/o yogourt of any kind is making me a sad girl.

@canadjineh - I'm not sure where you are traveling specifically, but I have found that Natural Foods stores and Sprouts stores have all the yogurts I prefer. I don't have a Whole Foods near me, nor a Trader Joes. But you might check smaller traditional grocery stores wherever you travel. They're more likely to be willing to special order foods for some customers. I've been really surprised by hitting those stores. Google can also help you find a place by searching a type of yogurt you know meets your qualifications, then locating somewhere that carries them. You might discover stores just off the beaten path.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Maybe it's just where I live, but even Safeway stocks Greek yogurt these days, including the full-fat variety. And it's often on sale. :)
  • kpk54
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Maybe it's just where I live, but even Safeway stocks Greek yogurt these days, including the full-fat variety. And it's often on sale. :)

A "me too". Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Publix, Lowe's Foods, Kroger, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Earth Fare, Walmart are all in this area and all carry Greek yogurt and have for some years. Full fat Greek might be a little more limited but certainly I know I can find full fat of some brand at at least the 1st 5.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I'm in WV so pretty rural overall but I find full fat Greek Fage at Kroger. Food Lion has at least 2% plain Greek as well.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

@canadjineh - I eat Trader joes own brand. It comes in a short tub and has blue on the label/packaging. Hope this helps!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've only been able to find a Whole Foods, and Publix, and Winn Dixie where we've been in Florida and we are only here for 3 weeks so I won't worry about it..... Thanks for the great info tho you guys! Useful for the next trip. Some of the yogourts in Canada have added thickeners like gelatins or starches or just concentrated milk. Gotta watch the labels.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The lowest carb yogurt I’ve found is a brand called White Mountain and it’s a whole milk Bulgarian Greek yogurt. 1 cup is 140 calories, 8g fat, 5g carb, 13g protein. It is harder to find.. I can find it in Sprouts. Other low carb yogurts that are more accessible is the Fage brand.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning White Mountain @LolaDeeDaisy23. I looked on line and a couple local chains carry it so maybe they stock it in my area. 5 carbs in a cup is great! I can make up the lower protein.
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Aldi now carries a full fat Greek Yogurt. I love it! I eat it everyday. It's around $2.99 for the container. A servings has around 6g C.
  • kpk54
    Options
    NikkiJRM wrote: »
    Aldi now carries a full fat Greek Yogurt. I love it! I eat it everyday. It's around $2.99 for the container. A servings has around 6g C.

That would be per cup or half cup? What I'm seeing on line for Aldi is 6 per half cup but it might be a different Aldi vendor/brand name than you are purchasing.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is a staple for me. I eat it with everything (plain, full fat, I like TJ's European or making my own if I can find raw milk.) Last year maybe I ate a bit less than usual but I consistently ate yoghurt and lost over 30pounds and was often in ketosis. That said everyone's different. Though people say they aren't conclusive I'd recommend getting those keto strips and trying. I also consistenly ate berries, greens etc. never counted the carbs for that stuff. It would be something like too much protein that would throw me off.