Celexa and Keto

alijoan11
alijoan11 Posts: 13 Member
Anybody here take Celexa (I'm prescribed 40 mg) and do Keto? I take it for anxiety, and I'm worried about potentially low potassium/magnesium from keto with possible drug side effects (it can cause abnormal heart rhythms in higher doses). I overthink everything, now you can see why I am on anxiety medication. Lol. Thanks.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Watch for any signs of worsening anxiety and/or depression. Side effects of medications can be negated or amplified. Your dose may need to be adjusted. If you get enough sodium to replace what is dumped by a ketogenic diet (generally 3000-5000 mg of sodium daily), you are unlikely to dump much of any potassium and/or magnesium.

Magnesium is pretty simple to supplement. Get any decent form (pretty much anything except magnesium oxide is okay, my favorite is Doctor's Best Brand Chelated Magnesium Glycinate) and supplement. It can be difficult to get this through food sources for a number of reasons, unless you're eating all grass fed and organic foods.

Potassium deficiency and overage are both deadly. I would focus on potassium rich foods (just google), and add in a little if you have low sodium days and/or if you have really sweaty or high exertion days... But keep monitored by a physician, and watch for signs of high or low potassium. They're similar and pretty easy to notice.

It is NOT overthinking anything to be concerned about medication impacts. Also, a call to your pharmacy may indicate whether supplementation is likely to be warranted, etc. Checking in with you doctor is generally a good idea, too. If you feel the doctor may be resistant to keto, just indicate that you're cutting "whites" and lowering your carbs in general to mostly only veggies, etc.
  • alijoan11
    alijoan11 Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you for such a thoughtful response. I really appreciate it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Great insight from @KnitOrMiss as usual.

I agree with all of that and also that you’re not overthinking anything. It’s smart to be mindful of how things work together.

Definitely keep the sodium up on the daily. That will be your best defense against getting too low on the others but focusing on potassium rich foods is a great idea. Maybe using a couple dashes on NuSalt (potassium chloride) for good measure. It won’t provide a lot but may help especially on days you find you’re not eating potassium rich foods. Don’t forget that even coffee and tea have some potassium even if you don’t see it listed in MFP database. That’s true for many entries in MFP as far as lacking accurate info. I like to check things against the Cronometer database. That one seems more consistently accurate. USDA is of course the best source for nutrition info though not as user friendly.

That magnesium she mentioned is a good one. Another one I’m familiar with is by Pure Vitamin Club. Designed by Vinnie Tortorich who is keto for cancer and he wanted vitamins and such that didn’t have junk fillers in them. Looks like a great product though I haven’t actually tried it myself. I know several people that are very happy with it.