New to Keto

mjmahala
mjmahala Posts: 1 Member
After some research and talking to a lot of people I put myself (and my kids) on the keto diet starting today. My kids don’t need to lose weight and I don’t expect them to stick to it (other outside foods). However it was the easiest to just work keto family meals for them and I.

Anyhow, my goal is to get from 253lbs to 120lbs, size 18w to a size 6?. Not just pounds but inches. I have kidney failure stage 2/3, high blood pressure, Fibromyalgia;and two of my kids are adhd and one has emotional issues. I am hoping this helps balance all of those and maybe reverse my kidney damage. More so... i want to avoid bariatric surgery.

I am adding in some exercise when I am not sick (not keto flu).

If anyone want to join me on this journey please feel free to friend me.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Make sure you research and cover the supplements needed. Dehydration especially is really easy in children... Sometimes incorporating things in a morning "smoothie style" drink can be helpful, depending on the age of the children, etc. Remember, too, that for ADHD especially, dyes and artificial sugars can be major triggers, so you may need to be selective.

With your kidney failure, you're likely to be restricted on protein, so make sure you keep an eye on that, as the kids will probably need more that you do, etc. Please as any questions you have here... There are a lot of knowledgeable folks bouncing around...

Best of luck all across the board!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Wishing you all the very best on your journey.

One thing to keep in mind when feeding others that continue eating high carb foods keto meals...
    First, there are 2 common approaches to eating keto it seems. 1 is very low carb, cooking with healthy fat and basically eating real food (meat and veg). Another is that plus adding additional fat to the plate thereby driving fat intake toward the medically therapeutic style keto diet.
    Any combination of high fat and high carb has a tendency to align the kind of cholesterol panel that indicates coronary disease risk, but the added fat version takes that to an even higher likelihood.
    If a person is consistently eating high carbs and also snacks the way kids tend to, it’s likely they will have difficulty being able to utilize the fat for fuel very well so I just keep in mind that if you are heavy handed with the butter and cream and serve that to high carb eaters, well... that’s something to be aware of is all I’m saying.

Many here have discussed this before and tend to cook with only the minimal amount of added fats as necessary as a workaround. Fat is still healthy. But not in excess. Not even on keto really. But definitely not in more than minimal amounts with regular sugar and grain consumption as well.
    I personally don’t even add extra fat (anymore) even though I eat no carbs. Since I eat only meat (just what works for me. I’m not advocating). Meat contains fat already in the right amount really.

Sorry, I got on a ramble. Lol
    I hope you know what I’m saying.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    mjmahala wrote: »
    After some research and talking to a lot of people I put myself (and my kids) on the keto diet starting today. My kids don’t need to lose weight and I don’t expect them to stick to it (other outside foods). However it was the easiest to just work keto family meals for them and I.

Anyhow, my goal is to get from 253lbs to 120lbs, size 18w to a size 6?. Not just pounds but inches. I have kidney failure stage 2/3, high blood pressure, Fibromyalgia;and two of my kids are adhd and one has emotional issues. I am hoping this helps balance all of those and maybe reverse my kidney damage. More so... i want to avoid bariatric surgery.

Hi I just want to suggest that maybe dropping to 120 from 253 isn't something you want to have initially as a goal? Depending on your height, this is quite a low weight and potentially something like 140 or 147 might be more attainable as an initial goal? You can always set another goal later. It makes sense to break things down into more easily achieved goals rather than get depressed when you feel far from your goal. Keto should help some of your health issues but it would probably sensible to get some of it cleared with your medics as you have quite specific kidney issues. Good luck with what you are trying to achieve for yourself and your kids.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    mjmahala wrote: »

Your mention of starting keto and being in stage 2/3 of kidney failure concerns me. I've often read that while keto (protein) may not cause kidney problems, it is not advised for those who already have kidney issues. Have you discussed this with your medical team? I'm not a Med. Professional of any type but have read/heard this many times in various books and on podcasts including Pro-keto literature. Of course protein amounts vary in medically therapeutic keto diets but wanted you to be aware if you aren't already.

Good luck to you.