cooking oils

Options
Any thoughts on the best cooking oil to use. I am presently Olive but do wonder about the others. i am a little price sensitive so if I can use something cheaper it would be fine with me.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Macadamia Nut Oil. Definitely pricey. I'd like to use it regularly myself but simply can't afford it. I usually bounce around between butter, lard, coconut oil or olive oil. I think one of our members posted a link to a chart of all the various cooking oils and how they compared to one another but I can't find the link. I tried finding the member but I'm also having difficulty remembering the correct spelling of the member's name too. Lots of help I was! :|
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Anything hydrogenated or trans fat are generally the unpopular stuff. Vegetable oil. Margerine, etc. I choose oils based on the purpose or flavor (or lack of) and certainly others my disagree with my choices.

Peanut oil for deep frying (yes I occassionally deepfry) and stir fry. I live in the South. I didn't make it this year but our Thanksgiving turkey was deep fried. I have a turkey fryer and like most, mine is full of peanut oil. :)

Ghee or peanut oil for vegetables roasted in a very hot oven. Ghee is common, plentiful, inexpensive (compared to on line) in my area. Lots of Indian Markets. Flavor varies significantly.

Refined coconut, olive and avocado oil for general sauteing. Olive oil and avocado oil for for salad dressings, pestos, etc.

I make several recipes (marinades) with sesame oil and use it in some stir-fries. I occassionally use unrefined coconut oil. Unrefined is the one that tastes like coconut so I've used it for fat bombs or bullet proof coffee in the past. My husband has used it for years for popping popcorn.

Butter or bacon grease depending on what I'm making. I've not ventured into lard, tallow, etc. When I was a kid, everything was Crisco :# or bacon grease. Many of us have containers of bacon grease on our stove or in the refrigerator. :)
  • wornoutcowboy
    wornoutcowboy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    my favorite is ghee (clarified butter).
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    my favorite is ghee (clarified butter).

yes, mine too. So easy to make, as well!