Homemade cottage cheese

Options
pitbullmamaliz
pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
edited December 2017 in Social Groups
I love cottage cheese. So I thought I'd try making it in my Instant Pot. Looks like cottage cheese, letting it cool before I taste it. I put the recipe into the recipe builder, and set it so that each gram is a serving so I can just easily scoop out what I want. Easy peasy. Just for sake of comparison, I put into my diary 113g of my homemade cottage cheese, and 113g of the cottage cheese I usually buy. I used 2% milk and half and half in my cottage cheese because the stats on the containers are nearly identical to whole milk and HWC. So what the heck is causing this crazy difference??? fmhsn63weqhv.png

The ingredients I used are:
gallon 2% milk (128 oz)
3/4 c. distilled white vinegar
tsp sea salt
3/4 c. half & half

It weighed in at 1016 grams for the entire batch. Any ideas on why my homemade stats are so different from store-bought?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Never made it. Is there any part that is discarded so the calories and such would be subtracted from the whole? I've not made yogurt for 30-40 years but recall there was a good bit of whey?? that was strained and not part of the actual yogurt. And wouldn't that unconsumed part have calories (to be subtracted from the final product)? Cottage cheese is mostly the curd. I'm guessing.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    Options
    Yeah, you're right, there was a lot of liquid. Huh. Wonder how I can account for the macros in the tossed whey? I hadn't thought of that.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    Options
    I guess I could just log it as generic 2% cottage cheese. Bah.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    There is a database entry for whole milk whey showing 60 calories per cup with carbs and protein. Also one on Self Nutritional Data that shows the same. I'm sure there are probably others. See how they average out, do the math and create your own food entry versus using the recipe builder. I've not done that but it seems it should work.

If cottage cheese is not something you'll be making all the time you might not want to bother. You're probably curious now though after making it. Let is know how it tastes.

I have made ricotta and mozzarella. It was fun and tasty but what it taught me more than anything is why the in store versions are so expensive. Lots of milk needed for a little bit of cheese. :)