Crunchy low-carb cookie recipe out there?

Options
melluc2
melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
I'm looking for a crunchy 'ginger snap-like' cookie for Xmas. I could work with a crunchy regular cookie and try to make it gingery if need be. It's hard to get a cookie crunchy using almond flour, I find because of the texture....so I thought I'd see if anyone here had any successful recipes?

Also, how about shortbread's? Did anyone make a really good shortbread that's low-carb and really close to the real thing?

I probably should've asked this question sooner, rather than a week before Xmas! haha!

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet does a good shortbread, I've heard.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I don't bake with almond flour but think it could be a flour that holds moisture which would not be conducive to crispy cookies.

A longer baking time with lower oven temperature is what 1st come to mind. And/or less of moist ingredients such as eggs.
  • enfield57
    enfield57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't made these so I can't comment at all but if you want to try it, please let me know how they turn out:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-gingerbread-cookies
  • melluc2
    Options
    I'll try the low and slow method with a recipe I'm playing with now :S
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    If you use a 50/50 mixture of vanilla whey protein powder (or isolate) and wheat protein isolate (yes, I really did say wheat!) instead of nut flour, you will get a much crisper/crunchier cookie. Be aware though that many of the alternative flours used for low carb cooking cook faster than regular flours and can burn. They also tend to come out MUCH dryer.

I do have a shortbread recipe. I shared the recipe on my MFP & Instagram feed a couple of months back but the ratios were somehow wrong (it was the ONLY darned batch that turned out incorrectly - wouldn't you know it! :/ ) and I'm still working on finishing eating up that batch so I can give it another go 'round. I got kind of tired of making that recipe for a while since I'd made it repeatedly multiple times in a row so was kind of slowly working my way through eating this batch of purpose (to give it and me a break)! LOLZ ;)

There are other "low carb shortbread" recipes out there which usually use nut or coconut flour. You might want to Google some. I tried a few myself and while they all tasted OK, none of them came close to duplicating the right mouth feel of shortbread for me which is why I finally resorted to ketofying an original UK-based true Scottish shortbread recipe that I found online. Once I am able to double check the ratios, I will be re-posting the recipe but you won't see/get it unless you add me as a friend in MFP or follow me on Instagram ("lcladipoet").
  • melluc2
    Options
    Thank you