Intermittent Fasting

Options
squeeeyk
squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
Does anyone do this with their keto diet? I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems there are some benefits of adding this. My questions are for those who are doing this: do you do a daily fast and if so, how many days can you do this safely....indefinitely? Would you consider daily intermittent fasting better than a longer fast a couple times a year?

Replies

• Thr33N1N3
    Thr33N1N3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just started 20/4. I started reading The Obesity Code because Dr. Fung sounds pretty reasonable in some aspects. There are also videos of him on Youtube. People in the forum attack him yet I've heard him say in the book that too many calories is the proximate cause of weight gain, but not the ultimate cause.
  • Agkerrick
    Agkerrick Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I’ve done it a lot. Intermittent is different than just fasting completely. I do IF by only eating for 8 hours of a day, the other 16 I fast. During my fast, I’m also asleep at night. It typically involves 2 meals and possibly a snack. I don’t usually go over 18 hours without food, as I enjoy food too much.
  • uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 pounds last year between low carb high protein dieting, exercise and intermittent fasting. I am starting up again after letting things creep up during the holidays (doesn't help I am going through a tough divorce so STRESS is high)
  • tmurphy2712
    tmurphy2712 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yep intermittent fasting Monday to Friday for me. my first meal is at lunch time (not including my bulletproof coffee in the morning before a workout).
  • kwalton65
    kwalton65 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do it every other day, cardio days. I find if I do it on workout days I cant go as hard. But, intermittent fasting and Keto are like the perfect fat burning couple. You will drop weight like the flash.
  • BulletProofSkim
    BulletProofSkim Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Dr Fung is terrific, I really loved his books, read his blog and listen to the podcast. I've been doing 16/8 IF on and off for years and when I was really super fit it was just something that I did automatically. The more fat that you have in your diet, the easier it is to do.

I've also done longer fasts up to 7 days having water and salt and it was surprisingly easy to do. Day 3 for me was the hardest but after that I felt like I could have gone on forever!

I'm just starting keto again but still doing roughly a 16/8 split. I finish the day with dinner at around 8pm and don't eat again until around 1-2pm the next day or sometimes do OMAD. I love the way that IF is so easy to fit into life.
  • MisssJessicaaa
    MisssJessicaaa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I find fasting 16 hours of the day and eating during the 8 helps me a lot. Last year I went from 18 stone to 15st10lbs in just a couple of months with walking and weights for exercise. I just started Keto again a week ago and lost 4lbs doing the exact same thing.
    It works around my life anyway as I’m not usually hungry when I wake up, and with the morning rush being a mum I don’t have the time.
    So I eat between 11am and 7pm. I would eat the same times if I wasn’t dieting except I would snack a lot and eat way past 7pm. So it’s a godsend!
    Best of luck to you.
  • SteveP999Tx
    SteveP999Tx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started trying this. Its a bit tricky because of my job. Lunch is my biggest hit or miss meal, so I've just tried to eliminate it. Sometimes, we have lunch meetings and fasting isn't really the best interaction at those. I just try to be as keto careful as I can.

On the days I'm successful, I eat as soon as I get home around 5. Then again at 8. Then I'm done. I'm still trying to limit my servings.

Work in progress.