Dilemma... warning TMI

Options
2»

Replies

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I messed up my 0 carb goal for today. I’m still off work with the kids this week so I’m just working at doing better and hoping to get back to a solid routine next week.
  • EMMketo
    EMMketo Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Digestive issues and chronic constipation along with inflammation and a host of other issues that led to a 50+ lb weight gain is what brought me to keto in the first place.

I had IBS with chronic constipation growing up and it's definitely not fun. Used to go weeks without a bowel movement.

Have you tried mineral oil? The doctor made me take it as a kid. One tablespoon with a full glass of water every day worked pretty well for me. Tastes horrible though.

MCT oil also makes for a great laxative if you have any on hand.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    MCT oil for some of us makes for explosive, acidic, repeat diarrhea. I would not call that a laxative, at least not for me...

Cod Liver Oil - Fermented or otherwise, is supposed to be a fantastic source of D and A vitamins, and is considered a lost source of nutrition... Some companies even make this in a tasteless capsule form... (Green Pastures is the one I know is supposed to be amazing.) Can't hurt to try if it's in the budget...

I don't know if I have ever had mineral oil...other than to see it in a bowl with a saltine cracker floating on it, a cracker that never gets softened or anything, because it doesn't absorb...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    EMMketo wrote: »
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Digestive issues and chronic constipation along with inflammation and a host of other issues that led to a 50+ lb weight gain is what brought me to keto in the first place.

I had IBS with chronic constipation growing up and it's definitely not fun. Used to go weeks without a bowel movement.

Have you tried mineral oil? The doctor made me take it as a kid. One tablespoon with a full glass of water every day worked pretty well for me. Tastes horrible though.

MCT oil also makes for a great laxative if you have any on hand.

I’ve tried MCT oil in bullet proof lattes/teas. I tried in a variety of different ways because I was convinced that it was what I was supposed to do (focus on adding extra fat) to be true keto. Boy was I glad to find out that I was wrong about that because I did not respond well to it.

I have mineral oil, but for an unrelated reason. I have never taken it as a laxative. I’m not sure I can bring myself to swallow it.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    MCT oil for some of us makes for explosive, acidic, repeat diarrhea. I would not call that a laxative, at least not for me...

Cod Liver Oil - Fermented or otherwise, is supposed to be a fantastic source of D and A vitamins, and is considered a lost source of nutrition... Some companies even make this in a tasteless capsule form... (Green Pastures is the one I know is supposed to be amazing.) Can't hurt to try if it's in the budget...

I don't know if I have ever had mineral oil...other than to see it in a bowl with a saltine cracker floating on it, a cracker that never gets softened or anything, because it doesn't absorb...

You’ve sparked my curiosity... mineral or l and floating saltines? I don’t see the connection.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It doesn't penetrate. It's used in makeup and such, but it doesn't actually soak into the skin, so you can leave a cracker in a bowl of it for hours, and it stays crispy... It was a makeup presentation in which I saw this demonstrated... Weirded me out completely.
  • malkia_b
    malkia_b Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to go 2x everyday before Keto. I know only go once or not at all by day 3 I added a probiotic. Still only once a day be I don't have any bloated feeling.
  • scottyp65
    scottyp65 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    For me it is all about 3 things; water, fiber daily, and gut exercises. If I can keep these three aspects of my bowel regime right, then all is good. The most likely element to get omitted is specific exercises like planks. Then it is fiber....not good. If I pull a trifecta on stupid then is a bad time, nuff said. I did find the exercise and water components very helpful when Metamucil was unavailable.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Exercise to me is beneficial for many things. I'm quite convinced our bodies were designed to move versus sit in a recliner with a remote in hand. :)
  • wendolinovich
    wendolinovich Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sorry you're going through a rough time... Since doing keto, I've learned to like having a black esspresso in the mornings (for this reason, and for fasting&energy) - i know you don't like it, but neither did I. My other tip is a little 'out there'... If all else fails, I find my mini trampoline usually does the trick ;)
  • MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Different people react differently to different things... nuts and avocados (separately) seem to have a nice non-violent regularising effect for me...
    Also, you mentioned you don’t do BPC or tea, but have you tried including MCT oil in other things you eat? As part of a salad “dressing” etc? I know it certainly has been known to grease the gears so to speak for myself and others in the past...
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Are you actually constipated or just eliminating less waste less frequently? Constipation is the discomfort of having full bowels and being unable to eliminate without difficulty....

Keto, and most especially carnivores, typically produce much less waste and therefore actually don't "need" to go nearly as often. If you browse some carnivore sites or look up Shawn Baker... some people comment about only going every 3 or 4 days... simply because of less waste, there is no discomfort or difficulty eliminating....

This is a great point! ^ Also one thing that makes a difference for me is getting enough water and salt. Making sure my salt is where it should be has made all the difference.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    fiber clogs me. less fiber and adding more fat helped. supplement oxy-powder works for me.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    What is oxy powder and what are its benefits?