The WOO response

Options
d_thomas02
d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
From its first appearance some months ago, I took the WOO response to a post to mean YAHOO.

I just found out that many on MFP have been using it as a derogatory response i.e.
n.(or adj), the way a person is when they uncritically believe unsubstantiated or unfounded ideas. Short for "woo woo".

Since the AWESOME response has been renamed HUGS (and I'm not a huggy kinda guy), I will continue to use WOO as a cheer.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Did they get rid of the rule that X number of woos would get a post auto-deleted? It was rumored there was such an auto-delete, but I haven't followed up to check it out.

I tend to use the reactions as MFP defines them, because I feel like that's the clearest way to communicate. I'm not huggy either, so I miss "awesome", but I'm just using more "like" and a tiny bit more "inspiring" or "insightful" (I'm stingy with those).

To me, using MFP forum tools is a lot like learning to speak French: When they told me not to pronounce a whole bunch of letters that were at the ends of certain words, it seemed kinda stupid, but I did it anyway. ;)
  • d_thomas02
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Still researching.
    Nova wrote: »
    Hey all, we just made the changes (less than an hour ago). http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10623816/reaction-changes#latest

Woo means: Woo is a reaction we are testing out. You can click it both to mean woo as in an idea or approach is too good to be true. Woo-ful.

Hope this helps :)

And from the buried link.
    The woo reaction will get an updated emoji to help make it more clear what it means. It will remove your woo points but we haven't ever used the reaction points for anything. In 2018 we will be doing more with that system, including adding badges so for now don't pay reaction points much attention.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Woo is not a cheer. It means pseudo science. Use it correctly if you want others to understand your reaction.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Ya, I'm getting that.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,804 Member
    Options
    I certainly hope that they don't start "branding" people with a certain # of woos. There is way too much confusion as to whether it is good or bad. And some folks use it REALLY liberally so IMO, branding someone for random public opinion is very offputting. I have had a LOT of my posts woo'd. And it was just because people did not agree with me which is silly. It would be better IMO to have a dislike button. This place should not turn into a popularity contest with people afraid to ask questions for speak their opinions. JMO. ;)
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This will be unfortunate news for my lifting coach who uses woo when you make a particularly good lift. Honestly, devs (including this dev) can define stuff however they want, but that’s teenage stuff. Woo, awesome, and like just mean what the word says.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,924 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    This is turning into high school. I suggest the developers grow up.

I second this.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Never heard the expression woo (I too assumed it was like whoop or whoah - ie 'I'm impressed' I suspect that either woo is an American expression or that I am more out of touch/ancient than I thought. Like the above comments, I am not sure why we need lots of reactions as we are all grown up (or should be) on this site. I will restrict myself to 'like or inspiration responses only - seems safest ;)
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Stop beating around the bush @sijomial and just tell me what you really think.

Care to post a link to where woo was "clarified/amended from the initial and ridiculous polar opposite double meaning when Woo was launched." My MFP Search-fu is weak.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    Stop beating around the bush @sijomial and just tell me what you really think.

Care to post a link to where woo was "clarified/amended from the initial and ridiculous polar opposite double meaning when Woo was launched." My MFP Search-fu is weak.

Haha!
    Sorry - should have put a smiling emoji after my first line, Feel free to "woo" me for that omission! :)

Here's the original announcement.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570889/new-community-reaction-woo#latest
    "Woo can mean two things. You can click it both to mean woo as in woo-hoo or to express that you think an idea or approach is too good to be true."

Here's the (pretty poor) announcement of the change where they added a frowning emoji - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10623816/reaction-changes#latest

There was a thread launched to feedback/question when awesome became hug (they simply relabelled it as you can see when you hover over it) and woo lost one of its meanings and gained a frown.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10623826/woo-becomes-hug/p1
  • d_thomas02
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Haha!
    Sorry - should have put a smiling emoji after my first line, Feel free to "woo" me for that omission! :)

No worries. :) Thanks for the links.

ETA: Reviewed links. Still nothing definitive from the admins other than changing the woo icon to googly eyes.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    In the 2nd post of this thread

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points

. . . in the MFP News and announcements forum, by mod Alex, edited November 2017:
    What does the woo reaction mean? Woo is a term for pseudoscientific explanations that share certain common characteristics, often being too good to be true (aside from being unscientific). Woo is understood specifically as dressing itself in the trappings of science (but not the substance) while involving unscientific concepts, such as anecdotal evidence and sciencey-sounding words.
  • d_thomas02
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks AnnPT77

That post was created Jan 26 2015 and edited in Nov 2017. It feels like a poorly thought out cut and paste job as it mentions the awesome response often and the very next paragraph to the one quoted above states...
    We wanted to provide some additional clarity to the use of these new reactions. They were enabled with the intent to provide an additional positive element to the forums and should be used in a manner that supports our Community Guidelines.

I'm sorry but, in my world, this definition of the woo response is a far cry from positive.

ETA: I've been schooled and shan't be using WOO as a cheer. :disappointed:
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    Thanks AnnPT77

That post was created Jan 26 2015 and edited in Nov 2017. It feels like a poorly thought out cut and paste job as it mentions the awesome response often and the very next paragraph to the one quoted above states...
    We wanted to provide some additional clarity to the use of these new reactions. They were enabled with the intent to provide an additional positive element to the forums and should be used in a manner that supports our Community Guidelines.

I'm sorry but, in my world, this definition of the woo response is a far cry from positive.

ETA: I've seen the light and shan't be using WOO as a cheer. :disappointed:

I agree, far from positive, and pretty deeply buried besides. I ran across it kinda by accident.

I suspect the mods would prefer not to have to deal with negative reactions at all. I think the initial "ambiguous woo" definition, followed by the reluctant "full negative woo" that's not well announced, are both evidence of that. ;)

I can't even imagine the interpersonal awfulness with which the volunteer mods are required to deal . . . yikes.

(Yes, I saw the original "ambiguous woo" definition, too - it wasn't just @sijomial.)

:)
  • d_thomas02
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Wouldn't be fun if the admins renamed woo to awesome as they did awesome to hugs?

:D

Without resetting the counters.

:D:D:D