2018 Race Plans: What are you training for?

Options
Djproulx
Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
For the past three years, I've trained for a 70.3 distance tri as my A race (or two) and also entered a few Sprints to keep things interesting.

Decided to step it up this year. I'm registered for the Rev3 Half at Quassy in June, and then Ironman Mont Tremblant in August. That means I'll focus quite a bit of training around bike endurance and climbing work, since both courses are challenging as well as beautiful. I'll have lots of company, with about 40 members of my tri club racing at Quassy, and about 12-15 registered for IMMT.

What races are others training for? Any big destination races on your calendars?

Replies

• EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Big goals - happy training. IMMT is on my bucket list. I'm focusing on Olympic distance races - just a couple of local ones- and trail running. My first non-IM marathon is mid-Feb and maybe the Duncan Ridge 30 K in Nov. The marathon trails are pretty tame. The Duncan Ridge trails are steep and rocky although elevations are much lower than in a true mountain race.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    My friend did IMMT last year - it looked amazing. Enjoy the training and the race!

I recently decided to have a sprint-only season (with extra running). I am going to focus on increasing my fitness by fitting in strength training and getting faster at shorter distances with speed work and weight loss.
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    First time I have registered for Sprint tri athlon, coming up on June 24th. Scared of open water swim. Started my first week of preparation in the gym.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Training for my first Ironman at Lake Placid.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    @daj150, I LOVE Lake Placid. Did the half there in Sept and was signed up for the full this year until my friends all switched to IMMT and I decided to follow the crowd ;)

Will you do any training up there prior to race day? The training weekends up there are almost as much fun as race week.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx It's sadly not in my budget to get up there for any training weekends. But I have been told they are excellent.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    lol... I'm doing the opposite @Djproulx - I'm taking a step back. In hindsight, I tended to over race and under train.

I took all of 2017 off to deal with some injuries. Looking back, the time off was probably as good for me mentally as it was physically. Now that I'm feeling mostly better, I'm looking at the following for 2018. I won't know what my body can handle until my running volume picks up, which probably won't happen until the weather eases up. But for now -

10-Jun: Lake Placid half marathon
    23-Jun: Timnan Olympic
    12-Aug: Xterra Syracuse
  • Djproulx
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    lol... I'm doing the opposite @Djproulx - I'm taking a step back. In hindsight, I tended to over race and under train.

I took all of 2017 off to deal with some injuries. Looking back, the time off was probably as good for me mentally as it was physically. Now that I'm feeling mostly better, I'm looking at the following for 2018. I won't know what my body can handle until my running volume picks up, which probably won't happen until the weather eases up. But for now -

10-Jun: Lake Placid half marathon
    23-Jun: Timnan Olympic
    12-Aug: Xterra Syracuse

That's a pretty good list for a "step back year" :)

I imagine the LP half is run on the same route as the LP 70.3 run course? If so, it's beautiful, but you'll really earn that mile 11 stretch as you climb the hill back into town.

I'm assuming the Tinman is the race on Tupper Lake, correct? I've always wanted to do that one, since I've heard it is a lot of fun. My son went to school in Potsdam and I've driven through there dozens of times. The challenge is there are too many good races in June.

I've never done an Xterra. Assume it's right up your alley with a mountain bike segment. Is it also a trail run? What is the overall distance?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm already signed up for the LP 13.1 (bucket list item for my wife, so...), and Xterra Syracuse is a local race for me, and those distances should be pretty easy to manage, even if my training doesn't go well this spring. Tinman is the one I'm unsure about. Oh, and yes... It's at Tupper Lake.

Yes, Xterra Syracuse is right up my alley. I actually prefer racing road bikes to mtn, but trail running is is sooo much better than road running. Plus, the swims are shorter, which is always good. The course is a 1k swim, 20k mtn bike, 10k trial run.
  • Billydlyon1406
    Billydlyon1406 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a local sprint tri i do to kick off race season every year near Hershey PA on May 20. Then Eagleman 70.3 on June 10. Atlantic City Olympic distance on August 11 and Lake Placid 70.3 September 9. Philly Marathon on November 24. Still looking for a Sprint Tri in July and a Sprint in October... Any suggestions?
    Thanks
  • Djproulx
    Options
    I have a local sprint tri i do to kick off race season every year near Hershey PA on May 20. Then Eagleman 70.3 on June 10. Atlantic City Olympic distance on August 11 and Lake Placid 70.3 September 9. Philly Marathon on November 24. Still looking for a Sprint Tri in July and a Sprint in October... Any suggestions?
    Thanks

That's a pretty full race schedule. Sounds like a lot of fun given the different style race courses!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I just kicked off my season with a little local pool swim race that I have never bothered to do before... it was my first relatively "cold" race with temps around 42 when we started. By the time we hit the run it was absolutely perfect! I could get used to this.

I am pretty much settled on doing Diamondman at Lums Pond in DE at the start of September. Still deciding on whether to do olympic or stick with my sprint-only plan. Anyone done that one before?

It's not a sprint, but I am dying to do Survival of the Mills in the Pine Barrens in Jersey. It's a seven-stage in October.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    After breaking my ankle (repeatedly) I have been out of action for 2 years now. My training is starting slowly but I' m going for Snowman 2019 which is a tough race around some mountains in Wales. I may do an Olympic this year and a half IM next year in prep but I am so unfit I may have to save my energy :-)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Dhathri wrote: »
    First time I have registered for Sprint triathlon, coming up on June 24th. Scared of open water swim. Started my first week of preparation in the gym.

It seems part of the experience to be scared of the open water. If you wear a suit though these are very buoyant . You could roll over onto your back and you would just float as if you were on a airbed - seriously :-) I know this won't help fully but I hope it takes the edge off it. Make sure you practice in open water before your race though. I am not sure where you are but if the water is cold it can take your breath away so its better to experience this (which will show you you will be ok though it) before the race :-) If the water is cold it is better to get in as soon as you can so you get used to it. As soon as you start swimming you will be fine :-) Good luck and have fun

• EnduranceGirl2
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    Dhathri wrote: »
    First time I have registered for Sprint triathlon, coming up on June 24th. Scared of open water swim. Started my first week of preparation in the gym.

It seems part of the experience to be scared of the open water. If you wear a suit though these are very buoyant . You could roll over onto your back and you would just float as if you were on a airbed - seriously :-) I know this won't help fully but I hope it takes the edge off it. Make sure you practice in open water before your race though. I am not sure where you are but if the water is cold it can take your breath away so its better to experience this (which will show you you will be ok though it) before the race :-) If the water is cold it is better to get in as soon as you can so you get used to it. As soon as you start swimming you will be fine :-) Good luck and have fun

• EnduranceGirl2
    Options
    I would also suggest that your goal for your first OWS swim should be to learn all you can from the experience rather than having a specific time goal. The lack of lanes and lane lines is different in the context of a race than in a practice swim with a friend or two. Also decide how much contact with other swimmers would be comfortable for you. Swimming to the outside may lengthen your swim, but you'll have your own space. Is it a mass or time trial (typically 2 at a time) start?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Great advice above. Also, try to practice in your wetsuit a few times even if in the pool if you don't have easy and safe Open water access. Don't worry about strange looks, people will peg you for a triathlete. Breathing in a wetsuit can feel quit different and getting used to it will significantly reduce your OWS fear. Be sure to rinse your suit from the chlorine if you do use it in the pool.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My first olympic distance triathlon is Sunday. I've been training for about a year and all of my previous tri's were sprints. My goals for this one are modest.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    Options
    My first olympic distance triathlon is Sunday. I've been training for about a year and all of my previous tri's were sprints. My goals for this one are modest.

Good luck. I remember being really intimidated by the step up to a longer race. Oly's have become my favorite distance. They are long enough to make gathering all the gear worthwhile but you're done well before lunch. They are also short and fast enough that you never feel like you are just slogging through your day. Enjoy!
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Olys are exciting to race. As @EnduranceGirl2 mentions, the distance is considerable enough to feel like an effort, but still short enough that you'll push hard.

Enjoy the race...but fair warning: For many, Olys are the gateway to long course racing. :)