Help!

Options
I'm trying to start keto and I did a test run today to see about what foods I could work into my diet. I looked at the end of the day and I was over by 5% on my carbs. I looked, and Brussels sprouts and cucumber put me over. Everything I've read says they're good to eat. Is that correct, or are they going to mess it up? I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I don't get it. Lol

Replies

• k2626k
    k2626k Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    From what I've read those are carbs to work in on exercise days, otherwise you might want to limit those carbs to just one in a day. I watch the heavier carbs like squash, turnip, Brussel sprouts, zucchini and make sure I only have one day... the other carb I stick to leafy greens. Try and remember that even if you are 5% over its prob still way better than if you weren't documenting or watching. So you are still doing great and moving in the right direction!
  • Thr33N1N3
    Thr33N1N3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to subtract the fiber for net carbs. MFP doesn't do this for you.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    Options
    Make sure you are counting NET Carbs - not just regular carbs (net carbs are carbohydrates minus fiber). MFP doesn't let us use Net Carbs on our tracking so you have to do it yourself. I just keep a running toll . Also - it's ok if you are a little over or a little under on your macros. I would just try to keep the net carbs around that 5% mark. :)
  • FirstLadyHK
    FirstLadyHK Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Is there another app to use.
  • nmjordan
    nmjordan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are counting NET Carbs - not just regular carbs (net carbs are carbohydrates minus fiber). MFP doesn't let us use Net Carbs on our tracking so you have to do it yourself. I just keep a running toll . Also - it's ok if you are a little over or a little under on your macros. I would just try to keep the net carbs around that 5% mark. :)

OMG this just made me sooo happy- I didn't overdo my carbs yesterday at all then!
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Some people actually recommend only doing net carbs for fibrous vegetables and regular carbs for anything else. I go by total carbs just to be safe and also because I set a higher carb limit (50g) due to breastfeeding.
  • kwalton65
    kwalton65 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you have to do NET carbs. You need green veggies for the nutrients as your body will be flushing water without the carbs to retain. So always subtract fiber from carbs to get net carbs. I put fiber on my main page for MFP next to carbs so i can easily eyeball the subtraction when i input meals. good luck!