German Rouladen inspired cabbage rolls

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
I think dinner tonight is going to be some cabbage rolls inspired by German Rouladen. That’s a flanksteak rolled up with bacon, cheese, and a pickle and covered in gravy. I’m thinking of using HWC and xantham gum to create the beef gravy. Anyone made a beef brown gravy with success?
Here is the original recipe. I’d just make this, but I don’t have the steak and I want to use up my cabbage and ground meat!
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/149686/german-beef-rouladen/?internalSource=similar_recipe_banner&referringId=25194&referringContentType=recipe&clickId=simslot_2

Replies

• goatlady6
    goatlady6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That recipe sounds yummy! If I dont have drippings I generally use beef bouillon crumbles for the broth part. I guess you wouldnt want to use the cornstarch for the thickener because of the carbs? Not sure about using xanthan gum for a thickener...do like my daughter tells me...Google is your friend Mom! LOL.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've never used xantham gum. I'd be inclined to follow the recipe. 2 tbsp on cornstarch/8 servings is less than 2 carbs.

If you want to do the HWC thing, look up Milk Gravy recipes and use bacon grease. And the xantham gum. Save some Milk Gravy for your keto biscuits and gravy in the AM. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    That's funny as I had a craving for rouladen and we had a package of pork scaloppini that I wanted to use, so I did a lazy deconstructed version with it. Nutmeg, pepper, salt with chopped panfried bacon/onions/dill pickles. When almost done throw in handfuls of bagged coleslaw mix (red cabbage is traditional alongside the rouladen), stirfry a bit, lay the meat in the same pan and top with (GF - cornstarch thickener and bullion) gravy mixed with a bit of pickle juice to taste. Cook til done.
    Easy and awesome.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    That's funny as I had a craving for rouladen and we had a package of pork scaloppini that I wanted to use, so I did a lazy deconstructed version with it. Nutmeg, pepper, salt with chopped panfried bacon/onions/dill pickles. When almost done throw in handfuls of bagged coleslaw mix (red cabbage is traditional alongside the rouladen), stirfry a bit, lay the meat in the same pan and top with (GF - cornstarch thickener and bullion) gravy mixed with a bit of pickle juice to taste. Cook til done.
    Easy and awesome.

Sounds amazing! Too bad we don’t live in the same city! We could host some amazing Keto dinner parties!!!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I use mushroom powder as a thickener for gravy. Pulverize dried mushrooms in a spice or coffee grinder to make the mushroom powder, or you can order on Amazon.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    I use mushroom powder as a thickener for gravy. Pulverize dried mushrooms in a spice or coffee grinder to make the mushroom powder, or you can order on Amazon.

Thank you! I tried making xantham gum and it was HORRIBLE
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

Thanks for this, I have a large container of dried mushrooms I was starting to think I would never use up. Will have to try this. I bet the taste is great. My 'shrooms are shiitakes, full of flavor.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    edited Thank you! I tried making xantham gum and it was HORRIBLE

I have found reduction is my friend when saucing is involved but you might find these articles helpful:

https://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/recipes/guar-gum-vs-xanthan-gum/
    https://www.glutenfreeclub.com/substitutes-xanthan-guar-gum/
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I tried making xantham gum and it was HORRIBLE

@CRZYFTM ...You have to be very careful when using either Xanthan or Guar gum as a "thickeners" especially in gravies. If you use too much Xanthan gum, it will get slimy really quickly and the end result with not be good. I usually use a few tablespoons of Wheat Protein Isolate 5000 or sometimes LC Foods Think 'n Corn Starchy (I don't think they offer this particular product any more :'( but they do have 2 other products that are similar: Think 'n Saucy and Thick 'n Potatoes).
  • EryOaker
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

@CRZYFTM ...You have to be very careful when using either Xanthan or Guar gum as a "thickeners" especially in gravies. If you use too much Xanthan gum, it will get slimy really quickly and the end result with not be good. I usually use a few tablespoons of Wheat Protein Isolate 5000 or sometimes LC Foods Think 'n Corn Starchy (I don't think they offer this particular product any more :'( but they do have 2 other products that are similar: Think 'n Saucy and Thick 'n Potatoes).

Um... yeah.... I used xantham gum for the first batch... it made beef jello. Then I tried again, making a water/xantham gum mix first, to be added in the broth afterwards.... it gelled up so fast and look like semin in the bowl. It was disgusting!!! I abandoned all hope and threw it in the sink. My husband walks in, looks in the sink, raises an eyebrow and said “what the he** is in the sink?” Lol
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually use arrowroot as a thickener since it only takes a tiny bit
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Um... yeah.... I used xantham gum for the first batch... it made beef jello. Then I tried again, making a water/xantham gum mix first, to be added in the broth afterwards.... it gelled up so fast and look like semin in the bowl. It was disgusting!!! I abandoned all hope and threw it in the sink. My husband walks in, looks in the sink, raises an eyebrow and said “what the he** is in the sink?” Lol

:joy:
    Sounds like my husband...
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've used xanthan gum occasionally- you only need a VERY TINY bit- like 1/8 teaspoon.