Jan 1 Weekly Challenge: If You Bite It, Write It

Options
13»

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    pmaia wrote: »
    I've tracked all week, so far. I start back to work Monday, that's when it gets difficult..I was showing my daughter how to track the peanut butter by placing the jar on the scale..good luck to everyone.

I only discovered this a few weeks ago, lightbulb moment lol.... Wish I had thought of it years ago!!!

I only discovered this trick now. Great way to measure peanut butter and thanks for sharing @pmaia!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Really great week, Everyone! I’m glad you’ve found food logging helpful. I do as well.

We will be starting a new weekly challenge tomorrow, but this upcoming “Sharing your wisdom” challenge lends itself well to another week of food logging if you’re still trying to make logging a habit.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Some really great ideas on here! Love the peanut butter jar on the scale idea... I did manage to journal all my food this week, but I sure didn't stay in the green like I should have! I do really good all day making healthy choices...and then BAM! 8:00 p.m. hits and my stomach gets nauseous from medications I take before bedtime. Do I eat something healthy? Of course not, because that is my husband's ice cream time! If I don't eat ice cream with him, then I end up eating everything else in the house and it's even more damage than if I just give in and eat the darn ice cream!

So, since I see that this is my pattern, I'm going to try having a serving of steel cut oats instead. That should coat my stomach and be less damaging....much less sugar since I just use stevia and cinnamon, or a few pieces of cut up apple.

Thanks for the challenge, ideas and encouragement. Really love this thread!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    To keep up with tracking, which I do religiously, I decided to weigh my popcorn in grams verses the measuring cup. To my surprise the entry for the popcorn is wrong.

The entry I was using... Kroger Yellow Popcorn Dry 30 grams or 1/3 cup was equivalent 110 calories. NOPE It turns out 2 TBSP equals 30 grams. And here I am measuring with a 1/3 cup scoop twice! And not counting for the extra calories. I have been eating a huge bowl of popcorn every night thinking I am "winning" at snack time. Sigh...facepalm

I am thankful for this challenge because without it I probably would never have been checking on some of my entries.
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    To keep up with tracking, which I do religiously, I decided to weigh my popcorn in grams verses the measuring cup. To my surprise the entry for the popcorn is wrong.

The entry I was using... Kroger Yellow Popcorn Dry 30 grams or 1/3 cup was equivalent 110 calories. NOPE It turns out 2 TBSP equals 30 grams. And here I am measuring with a 1/3 cup scoop twice! And not counting for the extra calories. I have been eating a huge bowl of popcorn every night thinking I am "winning" at snack time. Sigh...facepalm

I am thankful for this challenge because without it I probably would never have been checking on some of my entries.

Such a good point, @PinkyPan1! It’s easy to think we know how many calories are in the foods we eat because we measured them once upon a time. And maybe the initial measurement was accurate, but maybe it wasn’t. And maybe the food as listed in the MFP food database was accurate, but maybe it wasn’t.

I’m in maintenance and I personally don’t want to weigh everything I eat on a food scale. But to guard against “food creep” I periodically put calorie dense foods such as potatoes, pasta, and yogurt on my food scale just to make sure that my estimate of the calories tracks with what the food scale says.

Reality checks are good!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    pmaia wrote: »
    I've tracked all week, so far. I start back to work Monday, that's when it gets difficult..I was showing my daughter how to track the peanut butter by placing the jar on the scale..good luck to everyone.

I only discovered this a few weeks ago, lightbulb moment lol.... Wish I had thought of it years ago!!!

It is so interesting reading/ learning how others do things.

I put the plate with my toast on it, onto the scale, set the tare function, and then I weigh the peanut/ almond butter as I carefully spoon it onto the toast, or the plate, if I'm eating it with a banana. Sometimes I want more or less than a "serving" so this works for me with peanut butter and other items. I log in grams whenever possible so it is easier for me to be more accurate, and also to be flexible with serving amounts.

Happy Sunday!
    :flowerforyou:
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Proud of myself. I tracked all week, all of it.

Used my scale mostly to track my liquids. What an eye opener!

Great challenge!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Great challenge!

Can I ask what kind of liquids were you weighing on your scale? Do you mean like your water intake, etc? I just go by my measuring cup and the sizes that the cups say they are.

That's really insightful! I would never think to do that...
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options

Great challenge!

Can I ask what kind of liquids were you weighing on your scale? Do you mean like your water intake, etc? I just go by my measuring cup and the sizes that the cups say they are.

That's really insightful! I would never think to do that...

Not water but my juices and milk. I was measuring a cup of milk when I was actually drinking 1.5. And what a cup of milk really is on my favorite glass. I even marked it with marker so I do not go over.