January-lly committed, good things will come (Check-in Thread)

Options

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Welp, sorry for the lack of updates Tapering for a meet = not a lot of very interesting stuff to report. But I did go light it up this morning despite it feeling like the world was against me O.o

Squats
    1st: 175lbs
    2nd: 195lbs
    3rd: 205lbs (I think that's a PR repeat)

Bench
    1st: 125lbs
    2nd: 140lbs
    3rd: 150lbs (pretty sure that's a PR!)

Deadlift
    1st: 215
    2nd: 235
    3rd: 255 -- not a PR, and I stupidly pulled my shoulders back at the top which resulted in a shrug-like motion and might get me a red light on this one. :/

Ah well, overall I still hit my goals! Now on to the next leg of my training: FAT LOSS FOCUS *dun dun dun*

(because I'm fairly strong. My body weight is def. the thing that's holding me back for crossfit, and my next "comp" is going to be the xfit open. Soooo, yeah.)
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Impressive numbers, krok!

Had another weekend at my dad's house to clean things out, etc so my gym time continues to be somewhat fractured but I got in today.

Squats 5/3/1 @ 135/145/155
    Sumo DL 3x6 @ 135
    TRX skaters 3x20
    TRX rows 3x10
    TRX curtsy squats 3x20
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I forgot to check in after I lifted yesterday. I went to the gym in the evening instead of the morning which was a bad idea because it was packed and it took an hour for me to get the single squat rack that we have at our gym but once I got it I decided to really push myself on squats because they've just been so lacking lately and I was able to get up to 145 pounds for 3 reps. That's the heaviest I've ever done and also happens to be just a few pounds shy of my body weight. So, I felt pretty good about that.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hoping to see my minigoal of getting back up to 135 squats in the next few weeks!

Sunday
    Squats 5x5 110
    Bench 5x5 55
    Row 5x5 70

Today
    Squats 5x5 115
    OH 55445 55
    DL 1x5 95, 115, 135, 145
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    January Weightlifting
    Goal: 10 times ( min 2times/wk)
    Done: 5/10

18/1/18
    Set A
    Squat 5x5 27 kg 59.5 lbs
    Bench press 5x5 27 kg 59.5 lbs
    Barbell rows 3x6 1x8 1x10 32.5 kg
    71.6 lbs
    Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Pull in Seated 10×3 15 kg
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 2.5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 5 kg

12/1/18
    Set B
    Squat 5x5 27 kg 59.5 lbs
    OP 5x5 22 kg 48.5 lbs
    Dead lift 5x2 45 kg 99.2 lbs
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 10 kg

9/1/18
    Set A
    Squat 5x5 27 kg
    Bench press 5x5 24.5 kg
    Barbell rows 5x7 30 kg

Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Dumbbell OP 10x3 10 kg

4/1/18
    Set B
    Squat 5x5 27 kg 59.5 lbs
    OP 5x5 22 kg 48.5 lbs
    Dead lift 5x2 45 kg 99.2 lbs
    Pull down 10×3 15 kg 33 lbs
    Pull in Seated 10×3 15 kg 33 lbs
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 10 kg

2/1/18
    Set A
    Squat 5x5 27 kg
    Bench press 5x5 24.5 kg
    Barbell rows 5x5 32.5 kg

Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Dumbbell OP 10x3 10 kg
  • krokador
    edited January 2018
    Options
    One last "fun" workout before a fat loss program? Let's go do the last one of the COMPETE phase (that I was 1 week away from completing when my neck got really hurt)

Yikes!

12 min to 1RM snatch : made 100, barely, missed 105
    3 min rest

12 min to 1RM clean & jerk: failed 115 once, then made it. Wee! (Not a PR, but the PR came fresh, not after a max effort on snatch!)
    3 min rest

10 min AMRAP
    - 3 front squat from ground 295lbs
    - 6 trx muscle up progression
    - 9 burpee broad jumps

I futzed around with my stupid watch trying to switch it arms so I could use my wrist support on the left side , so that slowed me down a lot. But I still got in 3 rounds and 3 squats

2 min REST (thank gawd)
    12 min to 1RM deadlift... after 400m run (where I was, that was 10m shuttle sprints x40. almost took 4 min :|)

NO REST into 8 min AMRAP
    - 5 pike press
    - walking lunges x5/side
    - 5 assisted chest to bar pull-ups
    - walking lunges back

I did 2 rounds and the first part of the lunges, and 2 pull-ups after time cuz I was already on the box and ready to do 'em.

I'm hurting all over now O_o

Also, I know I got new shoes very recently, but they're too long and I don't like them that much and I really REALLY want these D:

17lf4i6gew7b.png

Does anyone want to pay about half retail price on gently used reebok speed tr 2.0s in size 8.5 men?! xD
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    don't do it krok. i feel like you're waiting for someone to say that.

my followup appt is next week but everything's gone all to hell. it MAY be my fault but i'm going to pretend that it's not. because it just isn't fair if gaining so much more left-hip muscle strength still means that half a dozen air squats can mess you back up.

le sigh. idk, maybe if i present without improvement in spite of the gainz he'll do something fancy to me like an ultrasound. the test, not the silly-woo 'physio' thing. i'm feeling generally blah and upset.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Whoops, feeling the fatigue on the squats today. I think it's the lack of sleep getting to me.

5x5 squats 120 (WU: 1x5 45, 65, 95, 105)
    5x5 bench 65 (WU: 1x5 45)
    5x5 row 75 (WU: 1x5 65)
  • krokador
    Options

Actually, I was hoping someone would pop up with a discount code and tell me to go for it xD I've got my birthday coming up and and... I don't know what's happening with my plans around then so I'll hold off for now. There's usually a sale in like, early march anyway, so may as well wait to get 30-40% off. They're not going to disappear until then.

Reeesssssttt day today. I'm so sore. I think I may actually just start the program on Monday anyway. 1. it starts with deadlifts and I've done a lot of heavy ones this week. 2. I'm not quite ready to start the diet part anyway, so may as well give myself the weekend to meal prep and get rid of the food that'll spoil otherwise xD (Like flavored yogurt, fruits, already prepared meals that don't fit the macros)

• mustb60
    Options

my followup appt is next week but everything's gone all to hell. it MAY be my fault but i'm going to pretend that it's not. because it just isn't fair if gaining so much more left-hip muscle strength still means that half a dozen air squats can mess you back up.

le sigh. idk, maybe if i present without improvement in spite of the gainz he'll do something fancy to me like an ultrasound. the test, not the silly-woo 'physio' thing. i'm feeling generally blah and upset.

Feeling really bad for you. Hope you improve faster. Patience is the main key most of the time and rest. Good luck for the appointment!
  • chispaza
    Options

I'm sorry, how incredibly frustrating.
  • chispaza
    Options
    Tried to push myself on bench today. Almost had to do the roll of shame but I (barely) got that 105 lbs up. That's my PR so far.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Sorry to hear things are still not improving for you, Canadian. Hope that changes for you soon!

I did upper body the other day but don't have my numbers in front of me. Was pressed for time today, so a bit short but....deadlift PR! Yaaaaaay sumo.

Squats 3x5 @ 125
    Sumo DL 2x3 @ 180, 1x2 @ 190. 200, I'm coming for you!
    KB swings w/ 30 lb bell 3x15
  • mustb60
    Options
    Sorry to hear things are still not improving for you, Canadian. Hope that changes for you soon!

I did upper body the other day but don't have my numbers in front of me. Was pressed for time today, so a bit short but....deadlift PR! Yaaaaaay sumo.

Squats 3x5 @ 125
    Sumo DL 2x3 @ 180, 1x2 @ 190. 200, I'm coming for you!
    KB swings w/ 30 lb bell 3x15

You made me curious about Sumo deadlift. Great going!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    thanks people. i appreciate all the fuzzies.

turns out i can't calendar, so there is an extra week in the tank. and turns out that t-space must have some kind of magic in it, because when i dragged my whiny, surly, sad panda snapping-popping-tight-tissued self in there expecting to do nothing but sit on the floor and complain, i turned out quite able to do at least a few things, and already the hip's feeling (again) better for it. it's sort of freakish how fast a sequence of abductions will fix a madness that's been going on for three or four days in that glute medius. and the hamstring is not as super-responsive, but i skipped the falls and did some eccentric knee extension that seemed to go fine. with an 8-kilo kettlebell, yet. i chilled that at only 3x5 though just in case there's going to be trouble from it tomorrow.

kept the abductions to five pounds to start with, and there's no getting around it. this simple little jane-fonda move WORKED. i am way way way stronger in that hip than i was. i kind of can't get over it, i guess because at first i resented it so much. so beneath power-lifter me, you know :P and besides, groke forbid it might look i was only playing with weights for aesthetic reasons by doing this stuff.

can't argue the fact that four pounds of rice was absolutely out of the question about three weeks ago, and today whining and all, five pounds as a warmup felt light. i stayed at 7.5 for the same reason as the hamstring: becaues obviously i had overexcited it in some way.

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,775 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have slacked off badly and am finally going back to lifting again. I have lost some strength but I can't be discouraged.
    OHP is at 12.5 DBs 5 x 5
    Deadlift has gone down to 50 lb 1 x 5
    DB Bench press has gone down to 20 lb dbs
    Lat pulldown is at 60 lb so not that much lost there

I REALLY need to give myself a kick in the pants because my HbA1c is borderline (5.9) and I'd better watch it (lose weight, watch what I'm eating, increase exercise). I feel queasy about this... :'( but I have to think about what I CAN do, not what I can't do.
  • mustb60
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I have slacked off badly and am finally going back to lifting again. I have lost some strength but I can't be discouraged.
    OHP is at 12.5 DBs 5 x 5
    Deadlift has gone down to 50 lb 1 x 5
    DB Bench press has gone down to 20 lb dbs
    Lat pulldown is at 60 lb so not that much lost there

I REALLY need to give myself a kick in the pants because my HbA1c is borderline (5.9) and I'd better watch it (lose weight, watch what I'm eating, increase exercise). I feel queasy about this... :'( but I have to think about what I CAN do, not what I can't do.

All that's matter that you are back in the game! Good luck! :)
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I have slacked off badly and am finally going back to lifting again.

it's really nice to see you again.

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,775 Member
    Options
    Thanks @canadianlbs and @mustb60 it's good to be back. Gotta get healthy, we ain't getting any younger...
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    mustbe60 I'm a fan! It works for my body levers and taps into the way dance developed my muscles (turned out, using glutes and quads heavily). I wish I'd tried it sooner!

Today wasn't the most impressive ever, haha. I may have been sliiiiightly hung over but I managed a passable workout.

Bench press: 3/3/2/1 @ 75/85/95/95. I really wish our benches had safety bars bc I almost did a roll of shame. I'd feel better about increasing weight if I knew I wouldn't drop it on my face.
    Seated rows: 3x10 @ 60
    Supersets of triceps cable pulldowns and face pulls 3x10 @ 35 and 40, respectively
    Assisted pullups 2x4 @ -70, 1x2 @ -65, 1/1 @ -60 and -55