Dizzy, Anxious Feeling--please help

Options
Hi everyone!
So after doing keto for about a week, I was in my kitchen and all of a sudden I got sort of dizzy, a bit "faint feeling" and sort of like anxious feeling. I know I was in deep ketosis. I ended up eating sugar because I was freaked out.
Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
I'm wondering if I had low sodium, low potassium, low magnesium?? Just not sure...
Thanks in advance if you can help.

Replies

• Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi Vicki,

Low minerals is definetly where I would start supplementing if you have not already. Keep tabs on your magnesium, a deficiency is often manifested by anxiety. Another thing, and I don't know if this applies to you, is to watch caffeine intake because it can effect your insulin and system in general more severely when in ketosis- hence jitters and ahhhhh! Hope that helps!

Kate
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When I feel like that I have some sea salt. That usually helps. I just sprinkle some on veggies or a hard boiled egg.
  • Blueskysun
    Options
    Chicken broth can help to replenish electrolytes and salt that you may be lacking. Check other keto forum resources such as lowcarbfriends.or reddit/r/keto.
  • vickiwo55
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond--I thought that I might low in those areas--I hadn't eaten much salt at all. You guys are awesome--thank you! =)
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this pretty badly myself at times with ketosis -- to the point where once I thought I was actually having a panic attack. For me, salt is the key. I buy a high-quality sea salt from Whole Foods and I put it on as much as I can. It really helps. Also, second the recommendation to keep caffeine in check -- I have Bulletproof Coffee every morning, but I've noticed I really have to keep my coffee intake to 2 cups/16 ounces a day, or else I get extremely jittery/anxious/etc. (more so than when I would have lots of coffee pre-keto).
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diet is very diuretic in nature. So like everyone mentioned you need to keep your minerals and electrolytes up.