Mexican Style Rice Recipe?

Ettieas
Ettieas Posts: 11 Member
Has any one got and nice recipes for some Mexican Style Rice? Thank you!

Replies

• ssl5555
    ssl5555 Posts: 20 Member
    This is supposed to be like Nandos spicy rice. One I've got bookmarked to try myself.
    http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/syn-free-nandos-spicy-rice-slimming-world/
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    brown rice arroz verde

3 ounce Onions, Yellow, Fresh, Diced
    1/3 each Spice, Bay Leaf
    1-1/3 cup Rice, Brown, Dry
    2-2/3 cup Vegetable Stock
    2 tsp Oil, Canola
    1 pound Tomatillo, Green, Fresh
    2/3 each Peppers, Chili, Poblano, Fresh
    1 each Peppers, Chili, Jalapeno, Fresh, Chopped
    1 tsp Spice, Cumin, Ground
    1 tsp Salt, Kosher
    2-2/3 tbsp Cilantro, Fresh, Chopped

1. Prepare homemade vegetable stock per recipe.
    Heat oil, saute onions until translucent, add rice and saute for 5 minutes. Add stock and bay leaf, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

2. In a food processor, puree the tomatillos, poblanos, jalapenos, cumin, salt and cilantro.
    Stir the puree into the rice and mix well. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes.

• littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    edited January 2018
    delicious!
  • mckenziej6256
    mckenziej6256 Posts: 7 Member
    What is the calorie count for this please?
  • I've used this recipe a few times, even added fresh onions and frozen peas (in an attempt to make it a little more "authentic"). Calories aren't bad and it's simple.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/241258/mexican-tomato-flavored-rice/
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    My husband and I really like this "Mexican Red Rice" Recipe I found on a blog. It is very easy to make. I couldn't figure out how to attach a word doc so I pasted the recipe here. Sorry it's a bit lengthy but I wanted to include her notes.

Mexican Red Rice

Prep Time: 3 mins
    Cook Time: 15 mins
    Total Time: 18 mins
    Servings: 4
    Calories: 247 kcal
    Author: Nagi

Fluffy, beautifully seasoned Mexican Red Rice (Arroz Rojo). With a whisper of coriander / cilantro flavor, this is tasty enough to eat plain. The key to fluffy rice is the right water to rice ratio, and don't use too much tomato paste otherwise the liquid gets too thick = gluggy rice. Makes just over 3 cups, once fluffed. See AUTHENTICITY note below.

INGREDIENTS:
    • 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    • 2 garlic cloves , minced
    • 1/2 small white onion , finely chopped
    • 1 cup white rice , long grain, uncooked (Note 1)
    • 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (Note 2)
    • 2 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper , whole (optional)
    • 1 sprig coriander / cilantro
    Optional garnish:
    • Finely chopped coriander / cilantro leaves

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, stir briefly, then add onion. Cook for 4 - 5 minutes until translucent (not browned / golden).
    2. Add rice, broth, salt and tomato paste. Stir until tomato paste is dissolved.
    3. Plonk in jalapeno and coriander. Cover, bring to simmer, then lower heat to low so the water is simmering gently.
    4. Cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed (tilt pot to check).
    5. Remove from heat, leave lid on and rest for 10 minutes (KEY STEP). The residual liquid on the surface of the rice will get absorbed and rice will go from sticky to fluffy.
    6. Fluff with fork then serve! (Optional: garnish with extra coriander)

RECIPE NOTES:
    1. RICE: Long grain rice will give you the fluffiest rice. Jasmine and basmati rice will produce similar fluffiness but will have a different fragrance because of the rice flavour. Medium grain will also be pretty fluffy. Short grain will be a bit sticky, but not gluggy, still very good. Risotto and paella rice are not suitable for this. For brown rice, cook for 35 - 40 minutes on low.
    2. BROTH: You can also use water plus 1 bouillon cube, crumbled (vegetable or chicken is best). To reduce overall sodium, use low sodium broth and skip the salt.
    3. AUTHENTICITY: As with all traditional dishes, there are many ways Arroz Rojo is made in Mexico the authentic way. Typically, the common ingredient that I do not use is to puree really ripe, fresh tomatoes and often you see it made with tomato bouillon cubes rather than liquid stock which I don't see here in Australia. Truly great, intensely tomatoey tomatoes are not easy to come by for normal folks like myself. And while there are versions made with tomato puree (i.e. pureed tomato, thinner than tomato paste), I find that tomato paste works better to colour and flavour the broth while keeping it really thin and thus allowing for the rice to cook really evenly and come out fluffy. Also the slight acidity of tomato paste is a great touch of freshness.
    So this version Arroz Rojo is one that is doable for normal folk like myself that yields a rice that looks and tastes like the real deal - and it's easier too, no pureeing tomatoes! :)
    4. Nutrition per serving, assuming 4 servings.