Winter 2018 - Week 1

Options
Good afternoon ladies! I applaud each of you for taking time out of your busy schedule to focus on your health and nutrition goals. Below are a few pointers to assist you on this journey:

1. Weigh your food
2. Count your calories
3. Be active

Although simple in nature, when life gets hectic we tend to get mentally derailed. Remind yourself, no matter what your goals are, if you adhere to the above you will be successful.

This week we will introduce ourselves and get to know one another. PLEASE make sure you let us know who are in the ‘Winter 2018 - Introductions’ section.

Don’t forget—for those who will be participating—Monday is our first weigh-in. Also, if you have any questions, concerns, comments or suggestions I encourage you to let them be known.

I am very excited for what the new year will bring and I hope you are too.

Cheers!

Replies

• Megan91384
    Megan91384 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great post, Jessica! Those are the 3 things I'm focusing on this month. I seem to have greater success when I focus on 2-3 things at a time. Good luck everyone!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Megan91384 wrote: »
    Great post, Jessica! Those are the 3 things I'm focusing on this month. I seem to have greater success when I focus on 2-3 things at a time. Good luck everyone!

I don’t know WHY my caloric intake is a struggle for me and I find that comes easy to others. I have no problem working out—-which I think is a struggle for many. I need to get myself together. My dedication to exercising needs to spill over to what I put in my body. *fingers crossed it will*
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    When I started about a year ago I had no issue sticking to my calorie limit, but once I moved in July and have all this food options that didn’t have in the US has been hard to stick to the calories and also is like my routine just went down hill .... I think this year I need to go back to a set schedule and have everything planned because if I leave to my daily imagination.... oh boy, disaster! :#
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yes to keeping it simple! A good reminder because I'm one of those emotional eaters and I also overthink things, which leads to stress and screw-ups. Time to get out of my head and stick to the basics.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    When I started about a year ago I had no issue sticking to my calorie limit, but once I moved in July and have all this food options that didn’t have in the US has been hard to stick to the calories and also is like my routine just went down hill .... I think this year I need to go back to a set schedule and have everything planned because if I leave to my daily imagination.... oh boy, disaster! :#

I definitely find if I have some sort of routine then I am sane. There are more food choices outside the US
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Yes to keeping it simple! A good reminder because I'm one of those emotional eaters and I also overthink things, which leads to stress and screw-ups. Time to get out of my head and stick to the basics.

If I don’t get out of my head then my mind will take over. That’s not a good thing. Lol!
  • chioreo
    chioreo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Megan91384 wrote: »

That's a good idea. I feel like a lot of times I just have one big goal but it gets kind of stale chasing that so I add little goals that support it and to switch things up.
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    I definitely find if I have some sort of routine then I am sane. There are more food choices outside the US

I live in Italy, so even though there is a lot of fresh food, there is also a lot of options that can add lbs easily... I don’t think I have ever drank so much wine or eaten cheese, pizza and gelato as I had here .... delicious, but definitely to be enjoyed in small quantities ;)
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

I live in Italy, so even though there is a lot of fresh food, there is also a lot of options that can add lbs easily... I don’t think I have ever drank so much wine or eaten cheese, pizza and gelato as I had here .... delicious, but definitely to be enjoyed in small quantities ;)

That. Sounds. Yummy. Oh how closed minded some us are who haven’t traveled the world. Stay strong sister :#
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Did you recently move to Italy? Is it a permanent move? I hope you are enjoying yourself!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Lovely! My dream is to visit Italy and see family, and of course eat my way across the country.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    All this talk about Italy is making me HUNGRY...and jealous! Sounds like a great adventure! I don't weigh my food, but I definitely count/log and stay active. I quit the gym last fall and started working out at home, with Beachbody on Demand, and a 30-day yoga series, "True," on Yoga with Adrienne. I really like the flexibility of working out at home. How is everyone staying active?
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Had my first issue with bingeing today. One of my issues. Tracked it all and managed to put in an hour on my elliptical to help balance things out. Tomorrow is a new day. :s

It happens. Great attitude to turn things around! I’m super stuffed right now with enchiladas, beans and rice....if it makes you feel better. I’m pretty sure I went over my calories tonight.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    All this talk about Italy is making me HUNGRY...and jealous! Sounds like a great adventure! I don't weigh my food, but I definitely count/log and stay active. I quit the gym last fall and started working out at home, with Beachbody on Demand, and a 30-day yoga series, "True," on Yoga with Adrienne. I really like the flexibility of working out at home. How is everyone staying active?

I’ve been wanting to join the gym but just can’t decide on which one or when I would go. I decided to start Bikini Body Mommy on Monday and try and continue to lift 3 times a week and run when I can. So far so good. I considered Beachbody on Demand but decided there’s so much I can pull up online so I don’t need it. I wish I had the shakes though.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership but will let it lapse. I have a treadmill in my garage and between that, a kettlebell, some bands and Aaptiv (an amazing workout app) I’m liking working out at home more.
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    @spzjlb I relocated to Italy this July. Not sure how long will be here ... sometimes we are in a country a year and others we have stayed up to 6 ... so trying to enjoy and experience as much as possible.

@wellnesschaser if you have the chance you should visit Italy. Is so beautiful and so much to see and do ... and needless to say food is amazing!! Of course you can get Italian food in the US, but there is much more than pasta and pizza ... which can be dangerous ;)

@LZMiner I just finished my free month with Daily Burn; did some dance videos, yoga, mobility, Pilates and barre ... I liked it a lot, so I think wi continue with the subscription. I have a spinning bike and a water rower as well so when I can I add some minutes of those I do for cardio. My husband got all excited when I started loosing weight and got them for me lol ... in all the years together I don’t think he ever saw me exercise so guess he just wanted to make sure I didn’t change my mind :wink:

@joyhoffman9340 it happens to all; but as you said ... tomorrow is a new day and a new start. Is good to recognize we had a bad day/meal, but need to move on ... you will do great tomorrow! :)
  • KBurkhardt08
    KBurkhardt08 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Super excited about finding this group!

So I just bought a food scale and started weighing my food this week. Up until now I was just measuring things out with measuring cups. Yesterday I realized how many calories was in such a tiny amount of boxed mac n cheese. Very sad (my life will never be the same...haha.)! I was probably eating quadruple the calories I thought I was. Guess its a good thing I realized it though!
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I weighed more of my food that I have everyday. I was right on point or even under, except for frozen berries and I am now logging my vitamins :).
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I started to weigh more food, too, thanks to this group. I also started to track dietary fibre. I think that - for me (not necessarily everyone) - fibre helps fill me up and avoid snacking. I am pretty short and not too big, so I have a low calorie allotment that is so easy to surpass. Of course, if I didn't have that glass of wine in the evenings, I'd be able to eat more.