Yay or Nay Beer Cheese Soup on Keto?

tmoneyag99
tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups

32 oz chicken broth ( or veggie broth to make vegetarian friendly)

12 oz beer

1 cup of carrots, finely diced or shredded

1/2 cup celery, finely diced

1 cup onion finely diced

2-3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

1/2 cup heavy cream

Mind you the 12oz of beer will be a small portion of one serving.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    What are the macros per the amount you will consume in a sitting? Depending on those, could easily be a go.... You'll probably get as many or more carbs from the carrot, onion, and garlic than from the beer, depending on choice of beer... And most of us consider reasonable portions of carrots, onion, and garlic to be keto-friendly...
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    It depends on your personal approach. Someone doing strict keto would say no way, while others prefer the "if it fits your macros" approach. Only you can decide!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    It would be fine for me. I eat 50 or less. I'd just take note of the carbs and calories and build the rest of my food diary around it. It might be a day I have eggs versus Greek yogurt for breakfast and a couple deli meat roll up versus a big (ish) salad for lunch to help make the Beer Cheese Soup fit. That would be tasty with some sliced Brats thrown in. :)
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    It would be fine for me. I eat 50 or less. I'd just take note of the carbs and calories and build the rest of my food diary around it. It might be a day I have eggs versus Greek yogurt for breakfast and a couple deli meat roll up versus a big (ish) salad for lunch to help make the Beer Cheese Soup fit. That would be tasty with some sliced Brats thrown in. :)

I like the brats idea. As cold as it is I really really want some soup.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    There is low carb Zuppa Toscana (copycat of Olive Garden recipe, without potatoes - can swap or drop...)...aka spicy sausage/kale/cream soup

Lots of other options - broccoli and cheese, any kind of veggie soup (just watch quantity on carbier ones), beef stew with swap option for potatoes, etc. Ruled.Me has a pretty good Caveman Chili...

Remember, just use Google or another search engine with the word "keto" in front of any recipe you'd like to make...chances are someone has tried to convert a recipe... @tmoneyag99
  • kbmjohnson
    kbmjohnson Posts: 6 Member
    Seems carby for keto, but if it doesn't slow you down more power to you!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I used to make a garlic-cheddar sauce, which I could eat like a soup. It was mostly heavy cream, cheese, and a little garlic (minced or powdered). I poured that all over veggies and stuff. I don't make it, often, these days because I don't have much to put it on.