Keto/calories/metabolism

Options
Eating too low calories and scared about my metabolism, struggling to reach 1000 at 4yrs post op as I’m now eating properly (long story) I want to get a good metabolism and need to gain muscle mass while need to lose 50lb, don’t have NUT for advice going crazy with worry on what’s best. Thinking I might do keto?? Anyone having luck with that? Thank you

Replies

• loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Here are some earlier posts about the Keto diet from weight loss surgery people. You might find a resource there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10596634/keto-diet#latest
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I asked my exercise psychologist (Bariatric program I'm in has me seeing an exercise psychologist and a nutritionist :smile: ) She said that you cannot gain muscle while in a calorie deficit, like we are in, the benefit of lifting weights is to keep the muscle you have, so your body doesn't use it for fuel, instead of the fat.

I dont focus on the calorie number, I only focus on protein, and keeping it above 60gms per day. I feel best and not hungry when I eat 80+ grams in a day. (7 months post op currently)
  • 2bbetteremma
    2bbetteremma Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh I see! So best off losing as much fat as possible then to then build on muscle? Thank you so much for the reply
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would work at losing the fat, and lifting to maintain the muscle mass you have. :) once you get to where you want to be, you should be able to increase the calories to work on gaining muscle (safely)...
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm five years post-op, trying to lose 56 more pounds prior to body tuck surgeries, and I met with NUT a month ago, she gave me the following guidelines: daily, 1100 - 1400 cal, 63 - 90 grams protein, 60 - 100 grams carbs, rest fats, make sure I get RDA guidelines of B vitamins, Calcium, and Iron. Also 85 ounces water.

I'm female, 64 years old, 5'6". I started at 430, currently 271. I do cardio daily, and trying to do a strength workout (to maintain tone) 3 X week.

Now, on keto: neither my nurse practitioner nor my dietician thought that was a good idea for me. Ketones are larger molecules, making the kidneys work harder to filter, and I had diabetes Type 2 and a little kidney damage (due to medication) prior to surgery. So no keto for me. However, if you are younger, without diabetes or other kidney issues, it may work very well for you. Good luck!