Breakfast ideas on keto

Options
squeeeyk
squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
I would love some quick and easy ideas for breakfast that do not involve eggs. I find myself missing the variety of options I once had when not on keto (not necessarily the carbs). I'm going to intermittent fast later on for this very reason and because I'm not really hungry in the mornings, but I'm breastfeeding and I do not want to damage my supply. So, that has to wait until later.

I would love to do a nut version of cereal, but the milk replacement options totally blow chunks. Nothing shines as bright as good old carby milk haha.

So, ideas?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I found this by typing "keto breakfast cereals" into a google search. While all of these may not fit a ketogenic diet, some will and others are adaptable. My personal experience with the 1 "cereal type" breakfast I made was, it was so darn tasty...I ate all 4 servings in one day as a "trail mix". It was a keto granola. Lots of coconut, pecans and erythritol. Last bag of that sugar-substitute I ever bought.

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/sugar-free-low-carb-cereal-options-keto-grain-free/

• Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I find that cashew milk is a good milk replacement depending on the version its usually pretty low in carbs. Next after that would be unsweetened Ripple (good protein low carbs). Califia Farms has something called better half and I actually prefer that in my coffee. My Dad used to eat cereal with half and half and I tried it a few times its not that bad you just need to be mindful of the calories. I usually don't eat breakfast but I do like breakfast foods but it typically involves eggs of some type. I am not sure if there is an acceptable yogurt option for Keto. If I don't do eggs in the morning I will usually do some type of protein source plus a little cheese and maybe some nuts or even a small salad.
  • squeeeyk
    Options
    xerogs1 wrote: »
    I find that cashew milk is a good milk replacement depending on the version its usually pretty low in carbs. Next after that would be unsweetened Ripple (good protein low carbs). Califia Farms has something called better half and I actually prefer that in my coffee. My Dad used to eat cereal with half and half and I tried it a few times its not that bad you just need to be mindful of the calories. I usually don't eat breakfast but I do like breakfast foods but it typically involves eggs of some type. I am not sure if there is an acceptable yogurt option for Keto. If I don't do eggs in the morning I will usually do some type of protein source plus a little cheese and maybe some nuts or even a small salad.

We've tried both cashew and almond milk and I find them woefully lacking. I will try the half and half though. I didn't think of that. So far, I've opted for lunch items such as broccoli and chicken or bacon, avocado, and lettuce, but sometimes it's hard to stomach such rich lunch foods so early in the morning.
  • squeeeyk
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I found this by typing "keto breakfast cereals" into a google search. While all of these may not fit a ketogenic diet, some will and others are adaptable. My personal experience with the 1 "cereal type" breakfast I made was, it was so darn tasty...I ate all 4 servings in one day as a "trail mix". It was a keto granola. Lots of coconut, pecans and erythritol. Last bag of that sugar-substitute I ever bought.

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/sugar-free-low-carb-cereal-options-keto-grain-free/

Awesome resource. Thank you! You have any ideas for replacing coconut?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Why not use Heavy Whipping Cream (HWC) instead of milk? I do especially when I want low-carb cereal. You may also want to try using a 50/50 combination of HWC and nut milk...that would work too.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Nice hot broccoli cheddar soup is yummy for breakfast. I also like oil packed tuna mixed with Pataks Hot Lime Pickle and a dab of mayo if you like, scooped up with zucchini or cucumber coins. If you want something sweet, make a keto mug cake - some are really easy and take only a couple minutes if you don't mind hidden egg.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    squeeeyk wrote: »
    Nothing shines as bright as good old carby milk haha.

So, ideas?

Why not just dilute (with water) half and half or heavy whipping cream to a milk like consistency and flavor?
  • rparkerslim
    rparkerslim Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I like MIM (muffin in a minute). There are lots of low carb recipes; just google low carb muffin in a cup or minute. You'll find something for every taste, and most of them can be tweaked to suit the preparer!
  • squeeeyk
    Options

So, ideas?

Why not just dilute (with water) half and half or heavy whipping cream to a milk like consistency and flavor?

Definitely going to try this. I've found HC to leave a film in my mouth in the past that I'm hoping will be absent once I dilute it. Thanks for the input!
  • squeeeyk
    Options
    I like MIM (muffin in a minute). There are lots of low carb recipes; just google low carb muffin in a cup or minute. You'll find something for every taste, and most of them can be tweaked to suit the preparer!

I did not know such a thing existed. I will look into this. Thanks!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options

We've tried both cashew and almond milk and I find them woefully lacking. I will try the half and half though. I didn't think of that. So far, I've opted for lunch items such as broccoli and chicken or bacon, avocado, and lettuce, but sometimes it's hard to stomach such rich lunch foods so early in the morning.

You might want to try Ripple (https://www.ripplefoods.com/original-unsweetened-plant-milk/) then its pea protein and different than cashew and almond. I think you will like the half and half though, I always did.

This morning I had an ham and cheese omelette and a grilled pork chop which was a pretty decent breakfast since I typically don't eat that early. I probably won't have anything until this evening because I am not hungry at all.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    :) Steak
  • squeeeyk
    Options

You might want to try Ripple (https://www.ripplefoods.com/original-unsweetened-plant-milk/) then its pea protein and different than cashew and almond. I think you will like the half and half though, I always did.

This morning I had an ham and cheese omelette and a grilled pork chop which was a pretty decent breakfast since I typically don't eat that early. I probably won't have anything until this evening because I am not hungry at all.

Okay so I didn't know what the heck ripple was and after some reading, went to buy some to try it out. It is definitely the most like milk when talking viscosity and texture, but man does it have a planty aftertaste. I've decided to jump on the half and half train, lol. Thanks for all the help and ideas though!
  • IowaHomeGirl
    IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat non breakfast foods for breakfast (leftovers or soup). I also intermittent fast so I don't eat my first meal until 11 a.m.

When I do eat breakfast and I don't eat eggs, I make a keto friendly protein powder mixed with coconut milk, then I add chia seeds. It turns into a pudding like consistency.

There are keto recipes for pancakes or waffles. The non-egg choices for breakfast are quite vast.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I like this low carb granola with chia seed pudding. Combined it is very filling.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/low-carb-granola-cereal-paleo-gluten-free-sugar-free/
  • wendolinovich
    wendolinovich Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Why not use Heavy Whipping Cream (HWC) instead of milk? I do especially when I want low-carb cereal. You may also want to try using a 50/50 combination of HWC and nut milk...that would work too.

Or cream with water (mix separately and add in like milk)
  • wendolinovich
    wendolinovich Posts: 14 Member
    Options

So, ideas?

Sorry, just noticed you'd already said that.
  • squeeeyk
    Options
    Thanks you all for your input. I've tried a few different ideas and have found my new go to for cereal: half and half diluted with water and this bomb *kitten* keto granola cereal. It's an awful lot of calories, but is super filling! I also made dome lemon poppyseed muffins that are low carb for on the go breakfast. Thanks again for the help! I'm so glad I'm not stuck eating eggs every day lol.