Protein Ratio

Options
Has anyone here modified their ratios? I decided to finally edit mind since I usually eat slightly lower carb than the general population but wasn't sure where I wanted to put my protein. A lot of the recommendations I found were for body builders, which I am not. I was curious what other people ate as far as protein ratio. Right now I am Carb = 25%, Protein = 25% and fat = 50%, which I don't think fits anyone's "healthy food," model.

Replies

• agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been averaging somewhere around 35/25/40 (carbs/protein/fat). And about 70g a day of fiber from fruits and veggies - so almost half of my carbs are fiber.

I don't eat any unhealthy fats - it's all coconut and olive oil, nuts, avocados, pretty lean meats and eggs. I'm actually getting a blood test done again next week so I'll let you know, but I've never been advised to try and eat less fat in those forms.

I'm not strict about this though - I try to get a decent amount of protein, but mainly I only watch to make sure I'm eating enough fiber compared to sugar (which for me generally is mainly all from fresh fruits).
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I should get my blood tested, it has been a while since I've had my numbers ran. I mainly want to try and maximize fat burn and minimize muscle by making sure I have enough protein... but... avoid too much protein since your body will make fat from it if it can.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I should get my blood tested, it has been a while since I've had my numbers ran. I mainly want to try and maximize fat burn and minimize muscle by making sure I have enough protein... but... avoid too much protein since your body will make fat from it if it can.

Your body will make fat from any excess of calories, whether they're from protein, carbs, or fat, (or alcohol). However your body can't make proteins without having enough protein in your diet. I avoid eating too much protein mainly because meat is expensive. Still, I aim for about 100 grams a day, which is within the bodybuilding recommendation for my body mass. Bodybuilders aren't the only people who need extra protein. Endurance athletes, pregnant women, and people over 60 need more too. Since I do a lot of cardio, strength training and yoga, I err on the side of extra protein.

I eat more fat that MFP says I should. I'll change that if my blood tests don't look good. I modified my ratio to 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein, but the way that I actually eat, I think that fat comes out higher, and I tend to go under on carbs.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So um, wow!

I mentioned here that I was going to get my bloodwork done again, and got the results back today.

I've been eating gluten-free (almost grain free), loads of veggies, unprocessed (unpreserved) meats (but not necessarily low-fat - I still eat occasional ribeyes and chicken with skin on it, etc.), fruits, nuts, and a LOT of coconut oil. So overall a fairly high fat diet, but no soy, vegetable oils, canola oils, butter, cheese (other than a little goat cheese), no added processed sugar and very little dairy.

My cholesterol went from 185 total (62 HDL / 123 LDL) to 150 total (61 HDL / 89 LDL) in about 3 months of eating that way.

That's 34 points of bad cholesterol down in 3 months. And I'm at my lowest overall cholesterol I've ever had as an adult now.

So apparently eating a lot of fat isn't bad for you, at least as far as cholesterol is concerned.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    Very nice agdyl!

I havn't been avoiding protien either, lately, just trying to eat enough. I do better on some days than others. I've been slacking on the lower carb thing too. I'm trying to do better though!