Social events?!?! Help!

kma0002
kma0002 Posts: 6 Member
Ok disclaimer. I have two kids and usually no life

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    If you had an emoji in your post, right now, the posts cut off after most. Try pressing the little gear button within this window, edit your post, and remove the emoji to show the rest of your post...

If this was your entire post, please let us know the actual question here! Thanks.
  • kma0002
    kma0002 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks for the heads up! I was asking at what the best recommendations are for alcoholic drinks during social events. I realize that the best answer is no alcohol but I have an event with friends tomorrow afternoon and that would probably be my last one for another month ha ha. So looking for a good option that won’t totally set me back.

Thanks!
  • TheTortoiseWins
    TheTortoiseWins Posts: 21 Member
    Any straight alcohol or alcohol with club soda/water (e.g., vodka with soda and lime) would be a good choice. Most straight liquors (rum, bourbon, vodka, tequila, scotch, gin) have no carbs. So if you add either water or club soda to those, you would have a no carb drink. Dirty martinis are typically vodka with olive juice, so also a low to no carb option.

A glass of champagne is around 2 carbs. Wine is not bad, coming in around 2.5-4 carbs per glass, depending on the type. Martinis and Manhattans also are not bad because the added vermouth is equivalent to wine and is a lesser amount and the base (gin, vodka, bourbon, rye) has no carbs.

Watch out for mixed drinks that use simple syrup, sugar, fruit juice, or contain a sugary liquor/cordial (cointreau, triple sec, chartreuse, chambord, etc).
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Also, be sure to order club soda, not tonic water. Tonic Water has sugar (unless it's diet tonic water but that is full of aspartame)

vodka + soda
    gin + ginger ale Zevia (stevia sweetened soda)
  • KnitOrMiss
    I've also been told that something like Mio added to a "hard liquor" and water/club soda combo can be a refreshing change. They still have sugar substitutes and such, but many folks use them in small amounts to help with increasing fluid intake or getting electrolyte doses in...so if you're already using something like Mio, or want to try it, that could be an option, too.

Just remember to get extra water and electrolytes in between and/or after your drinks!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Oh and your alcohol tolerance will be very very low. Careful!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I like Jameson (whiskey) and coffee or diet soda.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    I've noticed that straight liquor was naturally sweet to me after a couple months on keto. To the point that I didn't trust that they gave me the right drink if I didn't see it poured! My fave is over ice with a lime squeezed in, or with Coke/Sprite/Ginger zero(not diet, tastes weird), or with Crystal lite or Mio (not 'energy' flavors, tastes odd with alcohol). U may have to remember to bring your own mixer to parties
  • cgcrutch
    Or just consume fewer carbs on days when you wanna fit a glass of wine into your macros
  • cgcrutch
    May be a tangent, but I'm posting anyway. Hangover cure in addition to lots of water before bed: Used to be salty, fatty Rally's. Now broth/bullion with butter. Or a bunless burger if you trust yourself not to order a regular burger when you've got a buzz lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    @kma0002 - So how was your day out? You got some wonderful advice here! I'm entirely jealous of some time out with friends! I hope it was fantastic.

** We all know that "no booze is the best booze" in theory - and that absolutely works for some folks, but we also all know that enjoying it alone or in a social setting, and doing so responsibly, can be a part of a realistic dietary plan. So we plan for what is likely to happen, not what we'd ideally like to happen... That's a more successful strategy, in my opinion! So kudos for thinking ahead. **
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I use Emergen-C as my hangover helper...I think it's designed for cold/flu, but the vitamins and electrolytes are awesome for replenishing after a night out too!