Adding gluten to keto bread?

Options
solska
solska Posts: 348 Member
Hi,

So my bf baked this bread from a keto recipe which turned out amazing! It has flax, eggs, soy/almond flour (we used almond) etc.. and gluten. And it didn't hurt my stomach. Other bread often hurts...

I'm trying to do keto so even though gluten is a protein and it's in this low carb recipe since I can't find discussions about it anywhere I'm wondering if people know what kind of effect it has on ketosis?

Thanks!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I am doing keto for migraines - gluten is a migraine trigger for me. However, I'm finding that being keto 100-120 days I suddenly stopped having migraines even when I eat gluten. Monday night I had a beer. Yesterday I had red velvet pancakes at IHOP, expecting a migraine, but it was a special occasion so I was willing to suck it up. Last night and today, no migraine.

So, depending on how long you have been keto, I would suggest that your body has changed and maybe it's just not going to impact you the same as it did when you didn't have a keto metabolism.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I found an old low carb recipe book by Dana Carpender that had bread recipes calling for vital wheat gluten, and tried some. It does hold the bread together better, but then I discovered that gluten makes my joints hurt... :'(
    She reviewed "Wheat Belly" on her blog, and describes why she changed her recipes to avoid it.
    http://holdthetoast.com/content/review-wheat-belly-dr-william-davis
    If you don't feel any adverse effects, enjoy your bread!
  • solska
    Options
    Thanks all. I haven't figured it out all as some bread and pizza will always hurt my stomach make me tired bloated etc... My bf thinks it's fodmaps since other things have similar effects as well mainly legumes. Thanks a lot for the insight. My main concern now is to reach ketosis and very low carb levels and want to make sure gluten won't have a detrimental effect on that.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    solska wrote: »
    Thanks all. I haven't figured it out all as some bread and pizza will always hurt my stomach make me tired bloated etc... My bf thinks it's fodmaps since other things have similar effects as well mainly legumes. Thanks a lot for the insight. My main concern now is to reach ketosis and very low carb levels and want to make sure gluten won't have a detrimental effect on that.

For what purpose?
  • solska
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »

For what purpose?

It worked very well and was highly effective for many things before in addition to weight loss. When you are in ketosis for a while you get fat adapted and instead of burning glycogen you burn fat. This is what worked for me so goal is to get back there. I realize from your earlier post that you think this is pointless but a lot of people, I'm among them, have a different experience.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

For what purpose?

It worked very well and was highly effective for many things before in addition to weight loss. When you are in ketosis for a while you get fat adapted and instead of burning glycogen you burn fat. This is what worked for me so goal is to get back there. I realize from your earlier post that you think this is pointless but a lot of people, I'm among them, have a different experience.

#context

I didn’t say it was pointless at all. There are benefits to being in ketosis. For one, as you’ve stated, it allows the body to preferentially utilize free fatty acids as an aerobic fuel source. Another is that it reduces an inflammatory response that causes insult to adipocytes. But for the purposes of fat loss, the need of knowing that ketone level or trying to push that number higher is irrelevant - not pointless. Meaning higher ketone levels actually don’t translate into a higher rate of fat loss since ketones are made solely in the liver and are determined by the ratio of oxaloacetate to acetyl-coA to enter the citric acid/Kreb cycle.

In that regard, the rate of fatty acids to be converted to ketones can come from dietary fat or body fat. The liver can’t tell the difference. Which is why I say it’s irrelevant. You will be considered ketotic as long as carbs are low enough to not be your primary fuel source.
  • solska
    Options

For what purpose?

#context

I didn’t say it was pointless at all. There are benefits to being in ketosis. For one, as you’ve stated, it allows the body to preferentially utilize free fatty acids as an aerobic fuel source. Another is that it reduces an inflammatory response that causes insult to adipocytes. But for the purposes of fat loss, the need of knowing that ketone level or trying to push that number higher is irrelevant - not pointless. Meaning higher ketone levels actually don’t translate into a higher rate of fat loss since ketones are made solely in the liver and are determined by the ratio of oxaloacetate to acetyl-coA to enter the citric acid/Kreb cycle.

In that regard, the rate of fatty acids to be converted to ketones can come from dietary fat or body fat. The liver can’t tell the difference. Which is why I say it’s irrelevant. You will be considered ketotic as long as carbs are low enough to not be your primary fuel source.

Thanks. My misunderstanding in regards to the earlier post. And agreed. I only ever used keto sticks when I was trying to figure out if I was in ketosis at all. Also helps to figure out that spot of carb amount that one can go ahead with to remain in one though obviously with home devices one can't know for sure.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Adding wheat gluten and adding whole wheat flour are two very different things. It only takes a tiny serve of wheat gluten, if you have the carbs to spare and it doesn't cause you joint pain etc. Enjoy. The flour also has other items in it that can cause inflammation in some people, I'm one of them. I can get away with tossing in a teaspoon of gluten in a recipe but not flour. I don't do this any more because I am a bread addict and only do stricker keto breads with all nut based flours. If something is too much like real bread I start thinking of sour dough breads again and wanting to revive my dried starter.
  • solska
    Options
    Adding wheat gluten and adding whole wheat flour are two very different things. It only takes a tiny serve of wheat gluten, if you have the carbs to spare and it doesn't cause you joint pain etc. Enjoy. The flour also has other items in it that can cause inflammation in some people, I'm one of them. I can get away with tossing in a teaspoon of gluten in a recipe but not flour. I don't do this any more because I am a bread addict and only do stricker keto breads with all nut based flours. If something is too much like real bread I start thinking of sour dough breads again and wanting to revive my dried starter.

This is great insight. And perhaps why this bread didn't bother me, perhaps things other than gluten in flour. I agree that it should be in moderation if nothing for the fact that it's so easy to overeat. I was able to stay mostly on a ketogenic diet and lost about 40 pounds because I found a way to eat things I liked. Trying to get back to that. These 17 pounds that piled up in the last three months are not welcome! The transition isn't very easy... carbs are in everything and add up. But right now that is what I'm trying to do, transitioning. So I won't count the carbs in cole slaw and add the gluten and eat the pistachios and vegennaise without adding the carbs... trying to get rid of worse habits of eating out pizza, asian, etc. every night. It's been an ok few days but not losing yet. I know I feel most deprived of fruit and bread. So gotta have some keto bread and berries at hand to not lose it over a psychological craving.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    On the weekend, I made this LC bread in my breadmaker to use up some old rye flour, combined with Bob's Red Mill baking mix (which contains vital wheat gluten). I seem to be ok with it so far! Carb count is a bit high so am not repeating this too soon. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/243960059366829
  • Jcamp8705
    Jcamp8705 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What stomach aches are you having??? I've been doing low carb for about 6 months and started noticing when I have a cheat meal or whatever I've been experiencing stomach pains as well. Wonder if the low carb has anything to do with that??
  • solska
    Options
    Jcamp8705 wrote: »
    What stomach aches are you having??? I've been doing low carb for about 6 months and started noticing when I have a cheat meal or whatever I've been experiencing stomach pains as well. Wonder if the low carb has anything to do with that??

Bloating is the worst. My stomach suddenly expands like I'm six months pregnant. Low carb has helped me a lot actually. But every time I eat this low carb bread with gluten my stomach bloats very uncomfortably. But very satisfying to be able to eat bread while trying keto.
  • Jcamp8705
    Jcamp8705 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like killer daves thin sliced bread it’s 9 net carbs per slice and 60 calories!! I like it as toast with cheese especially haha. I feel you on the bloating though, I have major bloating going on right now as I was a major glutton over the weekend for my moms birthday.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    OMG....I love Killer Dave's....Never saw the thin sliced at my store though.....