MFP Percentages

Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to keto, been following since September and have lost 18 pounds.

I have recently started using MFP and paying closer attention to tracking my numbers.

I am 5'2" and weigh 160. Goal is more fat loss.

My percentages are Carbs 15% Protein 25% and Fat 65% <---- does this seem right or need tweaking?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2018
    Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to keto, been following since September and have lost 18 pounds.

I have recently started using MFP and paying closer attention to tracking my numbers.

I am 5'2" and weigh 160. Goal is more fat loss.

My percentages are Carbs 15% Protein 25% and Fat 65% <---- does this seem right or need tweaking?

15+25+65 = 105% so it does need a little tweaking. ;)

That said, if 15% carbs places you at 50 grams or less of carbohydrate intake, 50 is a number that may place most people in ketosis if ketosis is a goal. Lower would provide more assurance. # of grams is what you really need to be looking at. 15% of 1200 calories is 180 calories/4 calories per grams so 45 carb grams. On the flip side, 15% of 2000 calories is 300 calores/4 calories per gram = 75 carb grams so that wouldn't be "acceptable" ETA by common keto standards/thinking.

• MnMsMum2017
    MnMsMum2017 Posts: 6 Member
    OMG I cannot add! That's hilarious!

ac4eynuwej9l.png

Here are my numbers. Yes, ketosis is a goal. I aim to do 18 hours IF a couple of times a week as well.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Sounds like it's working to me, awesome progress - go you!!!
  • MnMsMum2017
    Awesome. Thanks so much for the encouragement!
  • lbowenj
    lbowenj Posts: 7 Member
    Hi there - I'm 5' 3" and started at 163 (10 days ago) - I'm down 6 pounds and pretty sure the first 5 were all water - lol ---- I'm using MFP to track all my food and exercise (which I just started doing yesterday)... I'm loving keto cause I finally have some energy to do something - How long have you been doing keto and how are you feeling? Any more energy than before you started keto?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Yep. Agree that if it is working there's no need to do anything than to keep at it. We're all different. My macro are very similar to yours. I find it a pleasant way to eat. No stress. Nice variety. Definitely no room for carby sweets (if focused on nutrition) which were my nemesis.
  • MnMsMum2017
    lbowenj wrote: »
    Hi there - I'm 5' 3" and started at 163 (10 days ago) - I'm down 6 pounds and pretty sure the first 5 were all water - lol ---- I'm using MFP to track all my food and exercise (which I just started doing yesterday)... I'm loving keto cause I finally have some energy to do something - How long have you been doing keto and how are you feeling? Any more energy than before you started keto?

You are doing great! I definitely noticed an increase in my energy after starting keto. It’s so motivating!
  • MnMsMum2017
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Yep. Agree that if it is working there's no need to do anything than to keep at it. We're all different. My macro are very similar to yours. I find it a pleasant way to eat. No stress. Nice variety. Definitely no room for carby sweets (if focused on nutrition) which were my nemesis.

Thanks. I guess I was just a little worried I may have figured out the percentages incorrectly and wanted to check. It helps to hear from others around my same height as well.

You’re right, there is room for some flexibility.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2018
    We have similar caloric goals, but mine is broken down like this:

1380 calories, 20g carbs, 100 fat, 100 protein
    That's 5% carbs, 65% fat, 30% protein.

I have been very successful with these ratios. I aim for 20g of carbs which leaves some wiggle room for extra veggies (or margin of error in logging).

Aiming for 50g is on the border and you may dip in and out of ketosis at that level. Which is totally fine depending on your goals.

Perhaps use an online keto calculator to be sure your amounts are balancing well?
  • MnMsMum2017
    We have similar caloric goals, but mine is broken down like this:

1380 calories, 20g carbs, 100 fat, 100 protein
    That's 5% carbs, 65% fat, 30% protein.

I have been very successful with these ratios. I aim for 20g of carbs which leaves some wiggle room for extra veggies (or margin of error in logging).

Aiming for 50g is on the border and you may dip in and out of ketosis at that level. Which is totally fine depending on your goals.

Perhaps use an online keto calculator to be sure your amounts are balancing well?

Yes I was a little concerned that my carbs may be too high.