Living the Lifestyle, (LTL) Friday 19 January

Options
Jimb376
Jimb376 Posts: 106 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for January are:

Monday - GadgetGirlIL (Regina)

Tuesday - 88olds (George)

Wednesday - Beachwoman2006 (Cindy)

Thursday - Imastar2 (Derrick)

Friday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today’s LTL topic: So Many Variables in Weight Loss!

I have learned that there are so many variables that can affect my WL that it is impossible for me to tell someone what to do to lose weight, other than a generic “eat healthy and exercise“.

In my mind I know there are multiple variables that may impact my WL or determine what the scale shows on any one day.

For example: quantity of food, quality of food, too much sodium, not enough water, too much sugar, not enough protein, too much stress, not enough sleep, too many packaged/processed foods, not enough exercise…you get my drift.

Questions for Discussion:
1. Which variable do you consider changing when you gain weight or plateau?

2. Are some variables more important to how you LTL than others? (which are your Top Three to Five?)

Replies

• Jimb376
    Jimb376 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When I began to lose weight five years ago a friend asked me “How are you doing it?” I began as morbidly obese, he wanted to lose about ten pounds. My WL over the past two years have been significant (80#) and gotten me below Obese BMI and under 200# My friend is still asking me “How did you do it?” (BTW now he wants to lose about 15 pounds)

When I began, the obvious ones were changing the quantity/quality of foods I was eating. After getting those two under control, now it is more trying to figure out “what did I do differently that caused me to gain?”

The Point system has worked for me but now with Zero point foods I’m skeptical of my ability to assess “How much is TOO MUCH?”

I’m more aware of sodium now (thanks Cindy!) and that is my new “enemy”! I don’t drink as much water in winter. My exercise schedule has been disrupted too. So to answer the question it circles back to quantity/quality of foods I am eating. BUT all the other variables are still on my mind too.

2. Are some variables more important to how you LTL than others? (which are your Top Three?)

Exercise has moved up into my Top Three, along with quality of foods and the limiting of processed/package foods consumed.

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    1. When I first started this most recent weight loss journey in 2011, I only lost 1 pound in 6 weeks in spite of reducing calories. Then I paid more attention to diet quality and the weight started to come off. I increased protein, increased vegetables, and decreased simple carbohydrates.

2. Top 3 - exercise, getting enough sleep, food quality
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I find that the most important thing is to log what I eat. I log on MFP because it is the easiest for me. I find that if I log, I tend to not eat high calorie things because I don't want to log it.
    - Yesterday, I wanted Triscuits. I looked at 120 calories for 6 of them and ate far less than I would have otherwise.

It is important to have healthy lower calorie food available. I'm not one to not eat when I'm hungry or to reduce the quantity of food I eat so healthy is the way to go.

It's important to get enough sleep. When I'm overly tired, my ability to resist eating too much goes down. (Thus the Triscuits in the first part of the post.)

Lots of vegetables - they fill me up without too many calories. If I don't have vegetables with my lunch time sandwich, I start looking around for something to snack on mid-afternoon.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,091 Member
    Options
    I just shrug my shoulders at temporary salt/fluid weignt gains and don't think about it too much. I look at my average weight over a 4 to 7 day period for trends.
    My variables don't change much and I don't micromanage my healthy nutrients.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Jimb376 wrote: »
    ...trying to figure out “what did I do differently that caused me to gain?”

And therein lies the reason for tracking (which I still hate, but am doing). This morning when I stepped on the scale I was up 0.4 pounds. While that's not much, I wondered what I might have had yesterday that contributed to it. So I went back and looked at my tracker. Voila! Question answered. I would have probably been okay if I would have had the hot dog for lunch because nature might have taken care of the sodium. But I didn't. I had it about 7:30 last night.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

Calories or since I was doing WW when losing, points.

2. Are some variables more important to how you LTL than others? (which are your Top Three to Five?)

Well, there is sodium. I could pretty much count on a gain if last night’s dinner was at the diner around the corner. They loved salt in that kitchen.

That said, try as we might to find another path, I think it’s just about calories/points. And the way to deal with those is relentless tracking.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    Questions for Discussion:

(1) Check the high sodium foods and add more water to my daily consumption. Make sure I'm getting more sleep.
    (2) Salt mostly Chinese (no no) too many sweets not good for me. Watch other sodium filled foods. More water. Smaller portions along with more or adequate sleep.

SW 400.8
    CW 319.1
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

81.7 lbs Total lost