Jan 22 Weekly Challenge: Overcoming Procrastination

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
Theme: Healthy Practices
Challenge: Let’s Get Started (Part 1: Overcoming Procrastination)

Our Healthy Practices challenge this week is focused on understanding and overcoming our natural tendency to put things off and delay acting on things that are important to us. Most of us procrastinate to some extent. But for some people, procrastination is a stressful, lifelong battle that drains their energy and happiness, and affects their personal and professional relationships. My goal this week is to give you some concrete strategies for overcoming procrastination that will work for you.

This is a fascinating topic and I’ve been immersed in reading as much as I can on the subject. James Clear’s research and writings on procrastination and Gregg Krech’s book, “The Art of Taking Action: Lessons from Japanese Psychology” are the two main sources I’ve used in framing this challenge. To make it easier, I’ve quoted whole passages from Gregg’s fantastic book rather than restating his ideas in my own words. I don’t normally do this, but It’s a huge timesaver for me. The end result is that this week’s challenge is very long, but I’ve tried to make it easy to skim.

Why Do We Procrastinate? Two Explanations

Here are two explanations for why we procrastinate, both rooted in ourselves:

1. Your Present Self vs Your Future Self: Behavioral psychologists call this “time inconsistency”, it’s the tendency people have to value immediate rewards more highly than future rewards.

We are all two people: the person we are now (Our Present Self) and the person we will become in the future (Our Future Self). Our goals, such as losing weight, are about creating a better life for our Future Self. The Future Self values long-term rewards. But taking the actions required to create a better life for our Future Self requires that our Present Self do something now. Since our Present Self tends to favor current comfort and instant gratification, there’s a natural tension between these two people. Our Future Self wants us to be healthier and fitter, but our Present Self is more interested in nachos and binge watching Game of Thrones. Procrastination is our Present Self’s attempt to shift the burden of its to-do list onto another person, our Future Self.

2. Your Mind vs Your Body

From "The Art of Taking Action":
"We have very little control over our thoughts. Thoughts arise. They dissolve. Other thoughts arise and dissolve. In the course of our normal day, it is very unusual to “will” ourselves to have a particular thought. Good ideas, worries, likes, dislikes, criticisms of others, frustrating thoughts, thoughts about the past –they mostly arise spontaneously. On the other hand, we have much more control over our behavior. We can will ourselves to remain silent during a presentation, pick up the phone and make a call, answer an email, or drive to the store.”

Another difference between the worlds of the mind and body involves effort:
“The mind lives in a world of little effort. It doesn’t take much effort to sit on the couch and think about renovating your basement. But the body’s world often requires lots of effort (i.e. actually renovating your basement). For the most part your mind lives in a lazy world where it can think anything it wants to because it doesn’t have to act. Your body, on the other hand, has to be very discriminating about what it does because just about everything requires energy and that’s a precious commodity for your body.”

Strategies for Overcoming Procrastination

Strategy 1: Ignore Your Thoughts and Feelings and Focus on What Needs to Get Done

Our thoughts and feelings can keep us from acting on what needs to be done. One strategy to overcome procrastination is just to ignore these thoughts and feelings. As Gregg writes:
“Most procrastination is caused by a tendency to make a decision, in the present moment, based on what we feel like doing at that moment. And if we don’t feel like doing something NOW, then we’re not likely to feel like doing it later, because later will just be another NOW. If you don’t feel like doing your taxes NOW, just accept that you’ll probably never feel like doing them. The fundamental change we need is a shift from a feeling-centered approach to decisions to a purpose-centered approach. The question isn’t “What do I feel like doing?” but, rather, “What needs to be done?”

Strategy 2: Make Taking Action Easier

We often procrastinate because the project we have in mind seems enormous. Cleaning out the garage is easily a full weekend project, and how many of us can find the time to do that? But most projects don’t have to be completed at one time, we can work away at them. Reducing the size of the project into bite-sized pieces has been for me the most effective strategy for overcoming procrastination. 15 minutes a day spent on something you want to accomplish may not seem like much time, but it snowballs into over 91 hours a year.

Examples:
Putting off exercise? Lace up your shoes and go for a 5 minute walk
Need to change jobs? Set up an account on indeed.com
Want to finally write that blog post or letter? Just write one sentence (Doesn’t have to be the beginning sentence)

Small steps that get us started create momentum. Once you start something, it’s much easier to keep going. Put your emphasis on just getting started as that’s the hardest part.

Strategy 3: Make the Rewards of Taking Action More Immediate

Shifting the rewards of acting now from the future to the present is one strategy for overcoming procrastination. Frame it as:

I will only do [something you enjoy] while I do OR after I do [the thing you procrastinate on]

Examples:
Watch a favorite show only after you’ve worked on the project you keep putting off. Treat yourself to a special purchase or service you’d enjoy (such as a massage) only after you’ve completed a string of days of working on your project.

Strategy 4: Make the Consequences of Not Taking Action More Immediate

Increasing the discomfort from not taking action can also reduce procrastination. Skipping a workout when you are exercising alone has no immediate impact, but missing a walk you committed to take with a friend impacts you both.

Set a reasonable deadline for achieving milestones or completing your project and include consequences for what happens if you don’t act. Negative rewards aren’t for everyone, but they can be an effective tool in catalyzing action. If you go this route, think creatively. Having your work clothes picked out by your 3-year-old because you didn’t do what you said you were going to do can be a powerful incentive to act.

Another option is Stickk.com You set up a commitment contract with yourself, identity a referee for accountability, and commit some money that you’ll lose if you don’t make progress toward your goal. If that happens, your money goes to a charity you’ve selected — or, in a terrific twist, an organization you fundamentally do not like. (called an anti-charity).

Don’t Wait For Perfect Conditions. Get Started on What’s Important to You Now

The conditions of our lives will always be less than perfect. Start anyway. Don’t wait for the perfect day, the right motivations and feelings, or until you have all the information and pieces figured out. That probably won’t happen. Dive in anyway and make progress on what’s important to you.

I’ll close with this gem:
“I recently found an old journal with an embarrassing entry detailing the conditions I thought I needed to become a writer. I would awaken each morning to Pachelbel’s Canon and the aroma of freshly brewed expresso. I would stroll down an antique brick path bordered by blackspot-resistant roses to a picturesque Victorian garden cottage. Once there I would begin typing my immortal musings into a user-friendly machine while my flealess Labrador Retriever would lie adoringly at my feet. Fantasy? Sort of. But as some level I really did believe the universe owed me a better set of circumstances before I could step out on my heart’s path. In reality, all I need is a ballpoint pen and the back of a dry cleaning receipt… and the faith to take that first step in crafting an essay or article. Now, when I need a faith-lift, I just glance down at the neon green Post-It note my Quaker friend attached to my computer. It says, ‘Proceed as the path opens.’ And in case I need a nudge, the action verb PROCEED is circled in scarlet.” –Victoria Register-Freeman (author, Love Stories from the Bible)

Yes, indeed. Let’s PROCEED.

This Week’s Challenge: Identify a project or goal you have that you’ve been putting off. Using the strategies outlined above or other techniques you think will work for you, set aside 10 to 20 minutes at least 3 times this week to work on whatever you’ve selected. Put the emphasis on just getting started.

I look forward to hearing what you’ll be working on this week. Please let us know how you are progressing!

Make it a great week!

............................................................................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Procrastination: A Scientific Guide on How to Stop Procrastinating by James Clear
https://jamesclear.com/procrastination

The Art of Taking Action: Lessons from Japanese Psychology by Gregg Krech
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Taking-Action-Japanese-Psychology-ebook/dp/B00PR814K0/

TED Talk (Very funny and insightful)
Inside the Mind of a Master Procrastinator
https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_urban_inside_the_mind_of_a_master_procrastinator/

............................................................................................................................................

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That's so thoughtful of you! I'm sure your letters will make a huge positive impact on the recipients.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great post. I will read more about procrastination and work on what I need to work. My anxieties contribute to that. I wonder if there is a connection.
  • SassyCookieMe
    SassyCookieMe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    WOW that was certainly a lot to think about and absorb, thank you once again for sharing those insights with us. I think that adage you shared at the end is powerful and is worthy of repeating if you don't mind me doing so now. "‘Proceed as the path opens.’ Great reminder for me since retiring I have become in many ways the queen of procrastination. That must change, and I've been working towards that end. Going to reread your blog, and then proceed down the path.
  • cshock93
    cshock93 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wonderful information! I am a HUGE procrastinator. This week i will focus on adding more workouts to my week, and getting more school work finished ahead of time.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I’m glad this week’s challenge hits home for so many of you in the sense that there are things we can do about procrastination. And it’s a major stressor and source of unhappiness for lots of people. Most of the time, the stress about the thing we are procrastinating on is far worse than just starting to make headway on it. Starting is the key.

Do check out the video when you have a chance. It’s extremely funny, but also insightful as to why procrastination is so devastating for many people.
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Do check out the video when you have a chance. It’s extremely funny, but also insightful as to why procrastination is so devastating for many people.

I did check out the video while stretching after a walk (in lieu of procrastinating and doing something else), and it's fantastic! Thanks so much for the link, Denise! The part about the internet spiral ending with listening to interviews with Justin Bieber's (sp?) mom, and time spent on Google Earth was a little too close to home, really. Fantastic stuff. And his point about things we procrastinate that don't have deadlines associated with them is really spot on - well worth watching.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    If there was a place called Isle of Procrastination, I would be its Queen!! I can think of five things off the top of my head that I’ve been procrastinating on. I will think on this and watch the video and write more with how I proceed. Really great challenge!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I find that I procrastinate on things I really dislike doing. Cleaning bathrooms, closets, filing cabinet, the yard. UGH!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I can put things off for days until the deadline is looming. I do better with getting things done in the afternoons but I waste so much time in the morning...every morning. It’s frustrating because I want to do so many things. I used to say “I don’t have time” to do something. Now at least I acknowledge that I DO have time, I’d just rather do something else, usually iPad related. It’s really a habit (trap) that I’ve fallen. But I started getting things done this week and am going to find a way to reward myself when I work on my future self even though my present self is feeling lazy. This is a great challenge!
  • charlouiselb
    charlouiselb Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Fantastic post @themedalist. So much there to unpack & take forward. Though I promise I won’t think (read:sit) on it too long. :smile: Thank you for finding sources for us to explore further.

The kernel of truth that hit me like a freight train is so simple and yet really powerful: I don’t *feel* like doing something NOW, but later is just another NOW. For some tasks, I won’t *ever* FEEL like doing it. Might as well get it done, and put it behind me.

Sometimes I let to-do items I don’t want to think about linger unfinished for months/year’s. And the cost of this is of course, I think about them daily. How I need to do it, how I can’t believe I haven’t done it yet, when will I ever do it, etc. For a task I’m not wanting to think about I sure do spend a lot of time doing exactly that!!

My to-do’s: bring 4 big boxes to charity.
    Write emails to my friends/mom back home.
    Get my workout and protein snack done before my lunch meeting at the pub.
  • themedalist
    Options
    It hit me the same way, @charlouiselb. We shouldn’t wait until we feel like doing something before we do it. That feeling may never come. Just start working on whatever needs to be done and make some progress.

There are real, significant costs to procrastination in stress, lost opportunities, and diminished happiness. Take the plunge and start. Making progress is a great feeling and it’s a feeling that will come!
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    I can put things off for days until the deadline is looming. I do better with getting things done in the afternoons but I waste so much time in the morning...every morning. It’s frustrating because I want to do so many things. I used to say “I don’t have time” to do something. Now at least I acknowledge that I DO have time, I’d just rather do something else, usually iPad related. It’s really a habit (trap) that I’ve fallen. But I started getting things done this week and am going to find a way to reward myself when I work on my future self even though my present self is feeling lazy. This is a great challenge!

@nebslp and @Bellsz28, you’ve both made an excellent point about technology. Our phones and devices can be a huge source of procrastination. There are some interventions worth considering.

One is just making your phone, tablet, or laptop harder to access. Need to get some work done? Put your phone in another room. Deleting apps that suck time away from you is another option. I didn’t take that step, but I moved the Facebook icon on my iPad off of Page 1 and stuck it on its own page, Page 6. Because I don’t see it and have to scroll to get to it, I’m far less likely to use it when I should be doing other things.

Also, there are apps that can help. (Bit ironic, huh?) RescueTime can help you track how you spend your online time. And apps like Freedom will block websites that you don’t want to access during certain times of the day. Neither of these apps are free (but they might offer a free trial), but if online procrastination is a big problem for you, they might be well worth it.

All of the suggestions came from James Clear. I took a procrastination webinar from him in 2015 and it was terrific.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Mary407 wrote: »
    My goal for this week is to really start dealing with all the clothes I have stacked, boxed, closeted, and 'drawered' up in our house. I have wardrobes for versions of Mary that range in size from 160 pound Mary (a very, very svelte version of my tall self that I haven't seen in about a decade), to 220 pound Mary (the largest version of myself on record), and 210 pound Mary (my current self, who can still wear the 220 clothes, but would love to never need them again...), and everything in between! It's out of hand, and I've been so overwhelmed and depressed by it, I have always found something else to do instead of that. I'm going to commit to at least starting in on the backlog this week. There are people out there who could wear these clothes that I am not currently able to wear - I just need to do it. Thanks to this group for the motivation!

This is a terrific project to work on this week, @Mary407!
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My parents are in town so I did not come on here this week yet... it's Wednesday but here I am haha procrastinating...? Lol I love the post but I don't know what to focus on. Maybe I'll just start anything I can!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Zulu87 wrote: »
    My parents are in town so I did not come on here this week yet... it's Wednesday but here I am haha procrastinating...? Lol I love the post but I don't know what to focus on. Maybe I'll just start anything I can!

Well, @Zulu87, we won’t start our next challenge until Monday so you’ve still got plenty of time. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a flurry of posts from quite a few people on Sunday evening. :)

Enjoy your visit with your parents!