Stretching and Resistance T. Sources?

Options
solska
solska Posts: 348 Member
Can anyone recommend a video, site, diagram etc. for stretching and resistance training for someone who is getting back into it after injuries? I'm recovering from multiple surgeries and injuries and have had a ton of physical therapy (so I know specific exercises etc.) but I would like to find a short series for these two that I can do in the morning that addresses the entire body somehow. Something that has flow like the sun salutation in yoga (which I can't do due to continued recovery). I know there is a lot out there which is precisely why I'm asking so I can find one that people recommend. Something that you feel has been effective. I'll slowly get back into walking and swimming but I am looking for a low maintenance series that will help strengthening. Thanks

Replies

• RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've kinda had to build my own workout program so I'm no help to you but do you think your PT folks would have any good ideas on this subject? Are you able to do planks? They can be done in various ways and are good for your core.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Nearly everything I do is from YouTube. I have a stationary recumbent but even with that I can spin along with the videos getting prompts.

Fitnessblender (on youtube) has every imaginable category of workouts. Stretch, weights, kettlebell, yoga, hiit.

If you want some gentle yoga try TRUE-YOGA with Adriene. (Youtube)

Jessica Smith has a wide variety of youtube videos as does popsugar. If you are very limited, look up chair exercise, seated exercise, exercise for seniors.

I'll ditto speaking with your physical therapist. When I tore my rotator cuff and separated my bicep, after (and during) PT, they sent me home with a long list of exercises and bands and said "do them forever".
  • solska
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    I've kinda had to build my own workout program so I'm no help to you but do you think your PT folks would have any good ideas on this subject? Are you able to do planks? They can be done in various ways and are good for your core.

Thanks, PT folks generally focus on a series that focus on a specific area (which is great, but not fun, doesn't have flow, requires a lot of discipline). I cannot do planks :/ as I have had a shoulder and elbow surgery and multiple knee surgeries not too long ago -- yet. I want to get strong enough so that I can start doing planks again by the summer.
  • solska
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Nearly everything I do is from YouTube. I have a stationary recumbent but even with that I can spin along with the videos getting prompts.

Fitnessblender (on youtube) has every imaginable category of workouts. Stretch, weights, kettlebell, yoga, hiit.

If you want some gentle yoga try TRUE-YOGA with Adriene. (Youtube)

Jessica Smith has a wide variety of youtube videos as does popsugar. If you are very limited, look up chair exercise, seated exercise, exercise for seniors.

I'll ditto speaking with your physical therapist. When I tore my rotator cuff and separated my bicep, after (and during) PT, they sent me home with a long list of exercises and bands and said "do them forever".

Thank you. Will definitely check these out too. I have a fitdesk too, stationary bike that has a little platform, and will sometimes have dumb bells with me on it. But due to the ankle injury haven't been on that. They came with a resistance band too. I will check those resources to see if I can find a 10-15 min resistance and another stretching routine that I can remember so I can just get into the habit of doing them in the morning etc.