Keto Help! I just started and need some insight...

Options
bekah818
bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
I started the keto diet, I'm on day 3, and so far I really like it. The only thing I find a bit confusing is the whole carb intake. I'm fiding it hard to stay under 50 grambs of carbs per day, even though I completely eliminated bread,rice, pasta, and all grains. For instance, I usually like to have a yogurt parfait for breakfast, that I make myself at home. I usually go for the Chobani Greek Yogurt with Fruit on the bottom (for fruit I only stick to a small serving of Blackberries, cherries, or blueberries.) I make the parfait by adding two cups of Chobani Yogurt, a small serving of blueberries/blackberries, chia seeds, and almond slices all in a mason jar. When I add this to my food diary, the carb count is 36 grams for the yogurt!!! I read somewhere that the carbs in greek yogurt are miscalculated and what's on the label isn't accurate due to the fermenting process and something about the live cultures... I'd love to hear some feedback on this. Should I stop having Greek Yogurt for breakfast to keep my carb intake low? Do the carbs in greek yogurt really count?? Here's an example of what my meals for the day generally look like.

I'd appreciate if any seasoned Keto dieters can tell me if my meals are good for keto and I'd especially appreciate some insight on the Greek Yogurt / high carb content thing.

My Meals for the day (All home made):

- Before the gym: handful of plain almonds

- Breakfast: Chobani Greek Yogurt, mixed nuts, chia seeds, and blueberries & blackberries (I put it all in a mason jar the night before and take to work the next day)

- Lunch: Mixed Greens (Spinach, romaine, Arugala), 1 wild caught Salmon filet, sliced almonds, gorgonzola cheese, and low carb dressing on the side (I like the poppy seed dressing that's high in fat, low carbs (4 grams)

Dinner: Home made Stuffed bell peppers ( Ground Beef (cooked in pure olive oil or coconut oil), Shredded Monterey jack cheese, onions & tomatos) with a side of zuchinni noodles in pesto sauce.

My ultimate goal is weight loss. I want to lose 50 lbs.. Don't judge me by my profile pic. Unfortunately that pic is old and now what I look like today.

Replies

• bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    *not
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    How many carbs does the chobani package say? Should be less than that. Could be a wrong count, many foods are submitted by users. Or, you could decrease the serving to only a cup, or half cup
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Unless that yogurt is super tart, those sugars are probably still sugars. If they had all been eaten by cultures or however that works, the yogurt would be sour like pickles or kombucha. If it's working for you, then you could keep the yogurt till u start stalling.
  • randizeehandelaar1
    Options
    I would look at doing only 1 c of Greek yogurt and taking a look at the nuts. While they have good fats, they also have carbs.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are happy with the new routine. In the long run sustainability is the most important factor for success. Keep it up for a month, if you get results, fantastic...if you don't, then maybe start worrying about tweaking things.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    bekah818 wrote: »
    I usually go for the Chobani Greek Yogurt with Fruit on the bottom

The "fruit on the bottom" is the issue. 5.3 ounces of plain (non fat) Chiobani Greek has 6 carbs. The Blueberry (and others) FRUIT ON THE BOTTOM 5.3 ounce Greek Chobanis have 18 carbs.

I used the non-fat versions for apple to apple comparison. Full fat plain comes in 8 ounce (versus 5.3 ounce) containers.

• amanda_the_mom
    amanda_the_mom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For instance, I usually like to have a yogurt parfait for breakfast, that I make myself at home. I usually go for the Chobani Greek Yogurt with Fruit on the bottom (for fruit I only stick to a small serving of Blackberries, cherries, or blueberries.)

I think she's adding her own fruit, not buying yogurt with fruit in the bottom.

Bekah, if you are buying yogurt with fruit on the bottom, then there is going to be a ton of sugar in that. There's definitely going to be some sugar (lactose) left in the yogurt. If you're losing weight well then you could keep going with it. Have you tested your urine to see of you're in ketosis?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    For instance, I usually like to have a yogurt parfait for breakfast, that I make myself at home. I usually go for the Chobani Greek Yogurt wi :) th Fruit on the bottom (for fruit I only stick to a small serving of Blackberries, cherries, or blueberries.)

I think she's adding her own fruit, not buying yogurt with fruit in the bottom.

Bekah, if you are buying yogurt with fruit on the bottom, then there is going to be a ton of sugar in that. There's definitely going to be some sugar (lactose) left in the yogurt. If you're losing weight well then you could keep going with it. Have you tested your urine to see of you're in ketosis?

Yes i read the part about the berries in the original post.

I also read "Chobani fruit on the bottom" and then further down in her post she says when I add the YOGURT to my diary it is 36 carb grams. She DOES NOT say when I add the PARFAIT to my diary it is 36 carbs.

Only the OP knows what she is using to make her parfait but we both agree that if it is Chobani Fruit on the Bottom Plain Greek, she should replace it with plain Greek. :)

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are happy with the new routine. In the long run sustainability is the most important factor for success. Keep it up for a month, if you get results, fantastic...if you don't, then maybe start worrying about tweaking things.

I agree with this post so much @bekah818 . Right now, you're adjusting. Yes, you can tweak your yogurt parfait down the road should you choose. If you're still in the range of 50 grams of carbs a day, you'll get into ketosis SLOWER, but you'll still get there. If you don't have medical conditions, I'd keep this choice up and worry if you stall later, etc.

Keto is not a magic wand. Many folks lose wonderfully just getting to the 50-75 grams of carb range. It's all very individual. Sustainability is KEY.

The other information is this post is also awesome. Yes, fruit on the bottom yogurt will have added sugars. Most yogurts unless PLAIN, do... That being said, if you want to tweak your parfait but slowly, you could do one fruit on the bottom one, one plain one, and layer those with the rest of your items.

BUT - if you enjoy the taste of your yogurt exactly as is, you probably won't enjoy the flavor of an UNSWEETENED yogurt as much as your standard sweetened one. This will require some experimentation on your part. There are a number of things you could change on this yogurt, but as @tcunbeliever said, sustainability is important. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Keep going, see how things go, and adjust down the road.

There is NO perfect way to do this dietary plan unless you're following it for medical purposes (seizures, migraines, neurological improvements, etc.)... It will be VERY individual.

Side note for the future - any changes you make need to be isolated if you want to evaluate the change completely - meaning only change one thing at a time - AND make them for 3-4 weeks before determining success or failure. True results directly FROM your change can take that long.

Good luck!
  • braineblonde
    braineblonde Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like a yogurt parfait on occasion too and I don't like plain yogurt normally, however, since I try to keep my net carbs below 20, I tried taking plain Siggi's full fat yogurt (1/2 cup) and add 1/4 cup fresh raspberries, 30 grams of walnuts, a splash of almond extract (or vanilla) and 2 packets of stevia in the raw. I stir that all up really well and it's fantastic. It ends up being only 8 net carbs. I don't do it every day, but it's a treat the days I do it.
  • tbrann1971
    tbrann1971 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and KETO, on day 4 here. So far so good. Good luck to you.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    bell pepper - has carbs & can be more than 50% of daily allowance. I only add a small amount for colour- wont do a stuffed pepper as too many carbs. Maybe the straw breaking the camels back
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I make my own plain yogurt :) I use Hwc. It’s delish and not difficult especially if you have an ip. It has a yogurt button. I have a yogurt maker but my sis and daughter both use their ip. The cool part is you know exactly what goes into it. We also use it as sour cream. That nice man I married doesn’t even question.
  • Selendraco
    Selendraco Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Blueberries are not that good for keto.
    Yogurt has a lot of carbs too, but you can use it, just have to make your own.
    Store bought has TOO much carbs & sugar.
    They way I do it is add your carbs and sugar together, that yogurt alone is more than half your carbs.
    ovzm8o7eh0hm.jpg
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The antioxidants in blueberries make it worth the carb count, when you subtract the fiber content, too.

I will never advocate losing nutritional content to meet some mysterious number which may or may not be the healthiest FOR YOU...

For basic keto, it's more the quantity of blueberries (or any fruit, starch, or sweetened item) that matters, rather than the fruit type (sticking with berries or stone fruits, anyway)....