Food Finds

Options
countcurt
countcurt Posts: 593 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
So, I was in Trader Joe's yesterday. They were sampling the frozen mashed cauliflower 'pods' (they come in small disks, so you can take just what you need out of the bag.)

It was quite tasty and the NI was reasonable (50 cals per serving, 2 gm fat). I mentioned to the sample guy that it was tastier than I'd imagined it would be. He said, yeah, and pretty easy, too. You just mix one bag of the cauliflower mash, fully heated, with a bag of the grated cheese and stir.

Read it and weep.

I do have a couple of other [more useful] food finds I'll mention later. What about you? Any useful food finds?

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I could go on for days about my Trader Joe's finds. I live 90 minutes away from the nearest one so I stock up whenever I'm in the area.

My favorites:

Melodious Blend (lentils, peas, tomatoes in a light EVOO sauce in the freezer section)
    BBQ Teriyaki Chicken
    Chile Releno
    Mini Brie Bites
    Chocolate Brownie Oat Bar
    Chicken and Cheese Tamales
    Spelt Risotto
    Dr. Praegers Veggie Burgers
    Autumn Harvest Pasta Sauce
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,242 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I absolutely love the Scallion Pancakes (frozen section) from TJ's. For me, it is the best thing I've ever gotten from there.

BTW, the MFP nutritional info for this is absolutely wrong, listing the calories at over 1600, when they actually are only 160 calories each.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    The one I've most recently found is zucchini spirals in the produce section. I posted about these recently and mentioned that I *knew* I could buy a spiralizer and do them myself, but I'm all about easy. I'll definitely be using these again soon.

The closest TJ's to me is a 2-hour drive each way. Don't think I'll be doing that :)
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Taking note. My office moved in early Nov and I'm near a TJs now. I've only been in once. We have a Fresh Thyme nearby too. Always interested in your tips!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    He said, yeah, and pretty easy, too. You just mix one bag of the cauliflower mash, fully heated, with a bag of the grated cheese and stir.

Maybe they could deep fry it too.
  • beachwoman2006
    Options
    BTW...I could eat shoe leather if it had a bag of shredded cheese added to it :)
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,902 Member
    Options
    TJ,s is right around the corner for me and actually next to my WW meeting center. We always talk about "the meeting after the meeting" meaning that we all go into TJ's after weigh in. I am surprised that no one has mentioned Charles Schwalb wines! Better known as 4 buck chuck! Used to be 2 buck chuck but inflation you know. Not 5 star wine to be sure, but for $4.99 a bottle you cannot beat it.
  • countcurt
    Options
    I hadn’t meant to suggest this was a Trader Joe’s food find thread.

My newest food find comes from Costco. Butternut squash cubes, packaged in one pound bags and frozen, sold four pounds at a time. We’d been buying the fresh pre-cut butternut squash and often some would go bad before we could use it all. This is a much more efficient way to go. Less expensive, too. Works out to $1.69 per pound, peeled, cleaned and cut.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    The closest TJ's to me is a 2-hour drive each way. Don't think I'll be doing that :)

Same here, except an extra half-hour. Would like to work it in to try some of the suggestions. One of these days...
  • beachwoman2006
    Options
    We also don't have a Costco within 2 hours of me. Nor do we have a Sam's Club within 2 hours. Yes...there are drawbacks to living on an island in the middle of nowhere LOL
  • countcurt
    Options
    Costco also sells a frozen vegetarian chili that’s fairly tasty. It’s 230 cals for a full serving, but my wife and I can easily share a serving over a baked [sweet] potato for a very generous side or with a salad for lunch or light dinner. Six servings to a box.

In truth, we often split a sweet potato, so we’d get two side dishes for each of us out of one serving.
  • beachwoman2006
    Options

P.S. Yes...I got your point about the reason the cauliflower "patties" tasted so good :)

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,242 Member
    Options

Understood. But, your TJ's food find made me think of my TJ's food find.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Costco sells a frozen chicken cilantro mini wonton that make incredible wonton soup.. Broth + a few veggies + these guys and it's a super low-cal clear soup in about 15 minutes.