Experiences with sourdough bread while keto?

Options
solska
solska Posts: 348 Member
So I guess I'm late to figuring this out but I read quiet a bit about how if the fermentation process is long in making sourdough bread, all the sugar (carbs) in the bread will be eaten by the bacteria. And that this should not effect low carb diets. I wonder if people have tried/experienced this and seen how it effected their bloodsugar, weight loss, keto state etc.

Replies

• squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It may have fewer carbs and sugars than other breads but it's still way too high in my opinion. One slice of that would mean absolutely zero other carbs for the day and that's a no go for me. I need my veggies.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Generally you are making bread with sourdough starter - and you still add flour and additional sugar when you mix the actual bread dough...so, even assuming zero carbs in the starter, you are going to end up with a lot of carbs in the bread...though I'm sure low-carb versions exist.
  • ToxDocAR
    ToxDocAR Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    uhm, no lol
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've never been a bread maker and never really ate that much anyway. Well, not true. Soup and bread (or crackers) with a pile of butter. Multiple crackers and big, big piles of butter. How could I have forgotten. Soup will never be the same now. :(

Here's a site where you can find some LC breads.

http://www.shop.greatlowcarb.com/Great-Low-Carb-Sourdough-Bread-793936945940.htm
  • solska
    Options
    Generally you are making bread with sourdough starter - and you still add flour and additional sugar when you mix the actual bread dough...so, even assuming zero carbs in the starter, you are going to end up with a lot of carbs in the bread...though I'm sure low-carb versions exist.

The idea is the during the fermentation process the bacteria in the starter eat the carbs/sugars in the flour.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    solska wrote: »

The idea is the during the fermentation process the bacteria in the starter eat the carbs/sugars in the flour.

Yeah, no. It won't eat nearly enough carbs. If you ever home-brewed beer, wine, or any other alcohol, you would know how much gas gets put off and how long it takes to get even the majority of the sugars fermented. It is wishful thinking to believe that sourdough is better than any other bread.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options

Even if 100% of the carbs in the flour are consumed in the sourdough STARTER - you don't make sourdough bread with only starter...generally you make sourdough bread with a cup of starter and about 3 cups of flour (plus sugar, salt, milk, butter, etc)...and then you bake it and fermentation is halted, so there's no time for the carbs/flour from the bread making process to be consumed...fermentation is only occurring within the starter, not within the bread itself.
  • misskitty2018
    misskitty2018 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    try making low carb tortillas with cream cheese...they are not bad at all. Plus it gives you the satisfaction of eating a break like food. Only a couple of carbs per tortilla.
  • solska
    Options

Even if 100% of the carbs in the flour are consumed in the sourdough STARTER - you don't make sourdough bread with only starter...generally you make sourdough bread with a cup of starter and about 3 cups of flour (plus sugar, salt, milk, butter, etc)...and then you bake it and fermentation is halted, so there's no time for the carbs/flour from the bread making process to be consumed...fermentation is only occurring within the starter, not within the bread itself.

Yes, very skeptical myself about it which is why I wondered if anyone had an experience with it. What I read considers the bacteria in the yeast (not starter) eating up the carbs in the flour... and a very long fermentation process, kinda how sugar in kombucha is eaten up eventually. Here is some of that http://www.lowcarbsite.com/showthread.php/13526-Sourdough
  • solska
    Options
    try making low carb tortillas with cream cheese...they are not bad at all. Plus it gives you the satisfaction of eating a break like food. Only a couple of carbs per tortilla.

Yes, I love those and fat head pizza etc.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Can't blame you @solska. I miss the scent of freshly toasted sourdough bread.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it would be possible to develop a bread recipe that used a sourdough starter that was still low carb, but tasted a little more like real sourdough? Hmmm....
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    I wonder if it would be possible to develop a bread recipe that used a sourdough starter that was still low carb, but tasted a little more like real sourdough? Hmmm....

I know there is a sourdough version of "Soul Bread" floating around out there somewhere on the internet.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Oh my. A 9x5 pan results 16 slices and 200 CALORIES per slice. :#
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    No experience with this at all, but it may be worth a try - a very precise picky recipe though, and ingredients must be weighed and not measured with cups. https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/the-best-psyllium-flax-bread/

A slice is 127 cal, 3 net carbs (10 minus 7 fibre)
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Daisy Brackenhall just put up her Seed and Nut loaf, looks dense and yummy: https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/seed-nut-loaf/12636
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    No experience with this at all, but it may be worth a try - a very precise picky recipe though, and ingredients must be weighed and not measured with cups. https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/the-best-psyllium-flax-bread/

I don't mind weighing....Just keep forgetting to pick up the psyllium husk powder. May just have to break down and order it on Amazon...Then I'd have it in 2 days! LOL
  • solska
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

I've had different results with different recipes. One with hoagies worked well.