Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Brittle Nails

Does anyone else have experience with brittle nails?? I am over a year out and I have to keep my nails really short because they continually break. My boyfriend even noticed and asked about it. Any advice? I take my vitamins everyday, and I’ve gone back to adding my protein shake each day - just started it this week. My surgeon recommended more veggies, so I’m trying that. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Replies

• loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    My nails have changed over the past 6 months. I'm 3 years post op. I'm trying to figure out if it's diet related or something else. I initially thought it was related to some fingernail polish remover I was using. I'm still not sure but will give you an update. I see my bariatric doctor in about 30 days. I'll be getting the full blood testing and will ask about the change in nails.
  • kindofhope
    kindofhope Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks! Any advice is welcome! I also still struggle with water, so not sure if that’s related. I had my annual blood work and it came back mostly normal, except I think folate was a little low
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I took Hair Skin Nails vitamins post surgery and they worked great for me. I had minimal hair loss and my nails looked great.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    A good thing to remember is not every odd symptom will be related to your surgery or weight loss. My nails got like this and my doctor found I had an overactive thyroid. They are fine now that I’m medicated for it.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    clcmfp, thank you for the information. Two years ago I talked to my primary doctor regarding my thyroid because I was losing my eyebrows. He had the labs run the test with a negative result, no thyroid problem. But I have an appointment coming up and I'll ask again. I was diagnosed with a mild form of alopecia causing the eyebrow loss, which I guess is better than a thyroid problem.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    I have super brittle nails. 5 of them broke off just this week. But I've always attributed that to my hypothyroidism. I haven't noticed any significant change in my nails since surgery, even with taking extra biotin supplements.
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    I'm not even sure anymore if my nails are brittle or not. I started getting dip powder done 7 months ago. I do know my toe-nails break and peel often still.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Samquentin wrote: »
    I'm not even sure anymore if my nails are brittle or not. I started getting dip powder done 7 months ago. I do know my toe-nails break and peel often still.

I started getting dip powder and I am addicted.
  • kindofhope
    kindofhope Posts: 8 Member
    Update - I worked on increasing my protein and eating more veggies and healthy fats, and now my nails are finally looking healthy and strong again :) I’m actually growing them out a bit now