Feb 5 Weekly Challenge: Fruits and Veggies Extravaganza

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    drea2011 wrote: »
    I infuse my water wth strawberries, lemons and cucumber does that count? I also have a smoothie for breakfast every morning with fruit and a handful of spinach/kale or both!

Sounds good to me. Do you always "drink" your veggies? I use to do that when I got tired of eating them. Did not last very long.
  • prgirl39mfp
    @texasgardnr what do you use the frozen veggies on? Today I tried frozen riced cauliflower and sweet potato together and it was so convenient. What other frozen veggies do you use?
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited February 2018
    @prgirl39mfp, I just use plain veggies like frozen green beans, peas or corn for example, and use them for a very simple side dish. Or added into soup. I'll make enough for leftovers and toss in a salad the next day. I've used frozen "blends" on occasion, and they can easily be my late lunch/ early dinner if i'm eating dinner alone. Or for a shared side dish. For example one called a "Protein Blend" that I currently have in my freezer has whole grains, lentils, peas, broccoli, shelled edamame in a sauce.

Right now I have some coupons for veggie pasta and riced or mashed cauliflower. So I will be trying them soon. And another coupon for a another "protein blend" or "super food" blend. I'll have to check out what is new in that area.

Frozen mashed sweet potato would be really convenient. Did you like it? My all time favorite is a plain baked sweet potato with just a little butter and maybe a bit of salt.

When I get on a smoothie kick in the summer, I use store bought frozen fruits to toss in instead of using ice.

By the way, your menu for today sounded really yummy. Well done!!

:flowerforyou:
  • prgirl39mfp
    @77tes that is amazing. I too have a lemon tree, still no lemons :'( but I hope one day to just go outside and grab some. Marmalades are tricky. Let us know how it turns out.
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    I love it when the 'green -you have reached your fibre goal 'comes up, it certainly has this week thank you Denise and everyone!
    Sultanas, cucumber, celery, tomato, tomato juice - this stops me craving sweet things after breakfast... Carrots, red cabbage, leeks, dried fig, dried dates, apple instead of my choccie bar! So glad everyone is doing so well!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Today I had the second portion of my veggie omelette, for lunch I will have stir fry veggies (broccoli, carrots,mini corn), and dinner will be zucchini noodles again ( not to self: don't make so much zucchini noodles next time) with some pasta sauce. Apples for snack.

Had chick fil a instead and some stir Fry veggies for dinner. Peppers for lunch.
  • prgirl39mfp
    I love it when the 'green -you have reached your fibre goal 'comes up, it certainly has this week thank you Denise and everyone!
    Sultanas, cucumber, celery, tomato, tomato juice - this stops me craving sweet things after breakfast... Carrots, red cabbage, leeks, dried fig, dried dates, apple instead of my choccie bar! So glad everyone is doing so well!

Oh I will check if I got mine. Thanks for posting. You did great!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    edited February 2018
    My kind of challenge
    Feb 4 - 4 servings including broccoli, green beans, red pepper
    Feb 5 - 6 servings, including mixed veg, broccoli, red pepper, kale salad
    Feb 6 - 7.5 servings, tomato, pineapple, broccoli, kale salad
    Feb 7 - 5+, butternut squash, broccoli, avocado, beans, Pico de gallo
    Feb 8 - 11, lettuce,tomatoes, beans, cabbage, green pepper, onion
    Feb 9 - none so far
  • prgirl39mfp
    @corinasue1143 if you did not want to eat any today you are good! You had a fantastic week!

I had strawberries, zucchini noodles, carrots, broccoli, mini corn, red grapes and celery!
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    No I eat a salad a day it’s my afternoon snack. Im a vegan...switched over from being vegetarian. I’ve never had meat.

drea2011 wrote: »
    I infuse my water wth strawberries, lemons and cucumber does that count? I also have a smoothie for breakfast every morning with fruit and a handful of spinach/kale or both!

Sounds good to me. Do you always "drink" your veggies? I use to do that when I got tired of eating them. Did not last very long.

• drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    This was my week of intermittent fasting so I didn’t have my smithies this week. I still got my veggies in I had a salad all week for my pm snack and smoke of my lunches (veggie pot pie, eggplant lasagna) had veggies in the as well. I had strawberries and bananas as my fruits all week.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member
    Well done!! I’ve been keeping up with your updates and you’ve certainly taken this challenge to heart. I’ve done OK...I’ve met my goal of 5 freggies a day, but not more. We’ve been socked with more snow and ice this week and I don’t make it to the grocery story too often when I’m concerned about falling.

This week has given me the chance to go through the fresh produce I have on hand and pull out some frozen veggies from the freezer. Cleaning out freezer space is a good feeling!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,414 Member
    I haven't been posting this week, but I did add more veggies to my days. I don't have a problem with getting fruit in. I love it and ate a grapefruit and an orange every day, sometimes blueberries with cottage cheese. But I always struggle with veggies...not a fan. But I had either a huge salad with lots of veggies cut up in them, or steamed asparagus for dinner every evening, and one night was stirfry for dinner, so I think I came close! I was more conscienscious about trying to fit them in, even if I didn't meet the goal every day, and to me that is a step in the right direction! :smile:

Looks like everyone got very creative! I need to try a few of these tips. Love the omelets idea...
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Lots of salad and fruit today! It is now my aim to hit that fibre goal everyday, feel so much healthier already! Thank you for all your posts everyone and to Denise!