Weekly Post - 5.2.18 - 11.2.18

Options
Marmitegeoff
Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
edited February 2018 in Social Groups
Excuse me for starting the weekly post when I have not been around for a while. Some of you will know that I LOVE being out on my cycle, but heart problems have curtailed that so I did a bit of walking but developed tendonitis so that became painful. The combination did not put me into the best place. But I am beginning to fight back, weight had gone up a bit, but manageable, and I have managed a small bike ride in the last week and that was a major step on the ladder out of the hole. I will keep you all up to date a bit more frequently.

Replies

• jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    @Marmitegeoff - Thank you for kicking us off this week with some encouragement. Glad to see you are getting back on the horse, or in this case the bike. ;) Please do keep us posted so we can cheer you on. Go Geoff!
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,964 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

Thanks for starting us off, Geoff! Good thing you did get us started, because I am late today! :o

You can do it, Geoff. Keep fighting. We are all rooting for you. :)

Hope everybody had a nice weekend. It sure did fly by!

I am looking forward to my light day lunch today - I made the same soup as last week (shared it in the meal threads) and this time I used kale instead of spinach. I find spinach gets a little too mushy. Then I thought that maybe I should be using regular spinach vs. baby spinach. Thoughts for next time. LOL

I think I need to invest in another pair or two of work pants. Some of the 12's I have are just too big. Nice feeling I will say!

Have a nice day and I will probably check back with you all later.
  • whatiwont
    whatiwont Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi again. I'm feeling good because I'm down six pounds in my first five weeks (vacation notwithstanding), but today is a low day and I just ate a bag of gummy bears. Technically that was ok, but I guess that was dinner and I'm already regretting it...hopefully I learned some kind of lesson. :)
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody,

Congrats on being down over a pound a week in your first six weeks, @whatiwont! Way to go! Sometimes we eat things that we maybe shouldn't have, but my advice is to always log it - even if it is something "naughty". It still helps us feel in control. :)

Yesterday was a good light day. Even though I was feeling a little sick. Had some waves of nausea going on and was really draggy. Feeling better today after a good night of sleep. Maybe too many light beers on Sunday? Oh well. Sometimes alcohol just really doesn't agree with me. Last night I skipped my strength training and went with a bike ride instead. I was struggling to break 500 calories. Made it to 450. Better than nothing. Tonight will be a cardio night, hopefully on a treadmill. Strength training for Wed.

Hope everybody has a good day. See you all soon.
  • sjgold123
    sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi all i lost 1llb this week still in the right direction but i thought i resisted quite a lot to hope for 2llb. I have lost 12llb so far and i can feel it and pulled out some jeans from long ago :-) I've had a day of craving sugar and had extra snacks today but stayed within my cals so all is good. I've had a hectic day aswell as hubby being away and kids being on top form and dogs being extra hard to wear out!
    I still log my naughties and felt like alcohol tonight Meghan!
    I watched a program that talked through what you should eat if you are going to drink and how as alcohol is processed by the body first before food the fat content doubled within your body. Anyway the summary was to choose a high protein meal with alcohol. I do think alcohol makes me feel so bloated.
    Well i'm currently binging on chick flick comedy films whilst i can hog the remote with hubby not being here.
    Well done to everyone's losses!
  • jknight001
    Options
    @sjgold123 - Congrats on your weight loss! A 1 lb. loss is good. My experience with 5:2 has been not so much large weight loss but consistent weight loss. I prefer the second because nothing discourages me more than a scale stuck on the same number for a month or two!

Interesting what you said about protein and alcohol. The same is said about sugar in reference to Alzheimer's. They say spikes in blood sugar are a factor with Alzheimer's and eating protein before sugar will smooth out the blood sugar spikes. And, of course, a large component of alcohol is sugar. So have some prime rib with that heart healthy red wine!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I just watched myself on video. I look like a miniature hippo! So much worse than I thought! If I wasn't so completely worn down, I would start a massive exercise routine and buckle down on fasting. But the truth is, fasting takes mental energy that I just don't have. The same video was supposed to be an assignment for my class, but the audio didn't record, and that was the LEAST of my troubles in a truly HORRIBLE day. Not really sure where I am going with this, just a very long day that made me realize how badly I have fallen off the wagon. :(
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody,

We are getting a little snow here in southern New England. Not supposed to add up to much here, maybe an inch or two and then turn to rain. Hoping for an easy commute tonight.

@sjgold123 that is interesting what you say about alcohol and protein! Hope you enjoyed your wine! ;)
    Congrats on your loss.
    I agree with @jknight001 that this WOE has for the most part helped me lose consistently. With that being said I have had a few slow periods thrown in but I find that mixing up my exercise and taking a break every now and then will definitely help keep the weight loss going.
    For me, I tend to be a slower loser but I can accept that because my weight is going in the right direction - DOWN! I feel in control and I feel good. I am in to a size 8 (US) for the first time in YEARS. I didn't put the weight on overnight, so it won't come off overnight. Patience... Need to stay focused on the big picture!

@KateNkognito sending hugs. Seeing oneself on video can tough, especially if you are not in a place you want to be. Same can go for pictures. Sorry about that. :( I know that you are strapped for time with your busy school schedule and kiddies. Let us know how we can help you come up with a plan to get you back on track and back on the wagon.
    My advice - I highly recommend meal prepping, as much as you can on the weekends. That helps me be successful on this WOE and has saved my butt, tremendously.
    You can do it. I know you can! We are here for you! <3

Had a great cardio session last night on the treadmill. The treadmills we like were available at the gym WOO HOO! Could the resolution people be slowing down a little? Doesn't seem like it, but I can hope sigh... Last night I had the incline up to 18% for quite a few spurts, which gives me a nice calorie burn. Tonight will be strength training as long as the weather cooperates.

Have a good day all. See you soon.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

To Kate and anyone struggling I echo @Meghan509 - the weekend prep can make the difference between success and failure a snap. For me it is soups.

I’m running low on soup but still have 5 it 6 individual servings frozen. In a pinch, I have some store bought soups, but much prefer the homemade ones.

See I’m sick again. Pretty darn sick but just can’t afford the time off work. So yesterday- my light day was poised to be a big failure. I started the day with the attitude that I was hungry, sick and didn’t want to mess with anything. Then I thought of the frozen soup. That was easy so I had a serving. Later my husband made me oatmeal for dinner, but if he had not offered there were frozen veggies and soup in the freezer that would be an easy heat up. Prepared options really make this WOE possible for me, even when sick.

Yeah, still sick here. And it’s been almost a week since I’ve actually been able to exercise. I’m so tired of this! Still, sugar free cough drops and lotion infused tissue for the win! Lol

Here’s hoping y’all are healthy and safe!

Rye

• mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hugs o you Kate!! It’s been a horrible day here too... husband was given severance pkg! He’s handling it better than I. He’s been with this company for 28 years and they’ve asked him about retiring but he wanted 2 more years. They’ve given him no warning so it’s such a shock.... what a day... sorry this post is not about 5:2 at all.... just venting

I’m not a meal prepper but I should be!
  • sjgold123
    Options
    Hi all, thank you like you say it's down and down is good. We all will have easier days and others feel hopeless. Hopefully still logging what you are eating even if not how you desired will help get back on track and you always have this board for motivation x
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody,

Everybody vent away. That is why we are here. Not just about the pounds, it is support too!

First things first. HUGS!

@ryenday sorry to hear that you are still not feeling well. That really stinks. There is so much going around. Not cool at all. Hope you feel better ASAP. Thinking of you. Yes, soup helps!

@mamainthekitchen ugh, I am so sorry to hear about your husband's job. I feel for him. Not cool and not fair at all... I have been let go before, from a job because of a bad economy and that really stings. Fortunately for me I was able to find another job and not lose any pay or benefits. Scary out there. I don't like the way that companies treat people who have been at a company for a long time. It is like they don't care if you have been there for a year or 20, they treat you the same... Sorry for my negativity. :( Hoping everything will be fine.

@sjgold123 good point. Hope your week is going well.

My turn to vent LOL. The weather stunk here yesterday with ice and rain and snow some places so we had to miss our nightly gym workout. We are sitting home last night having just eaten our dinner, watching a show on the DVR when boom, the power goes out at 8pm. No warning. I Tweeted to the power company (best way to reach them!!) and they said they were working on it, others were out in our area too. By 9pm we called it a night. The smell of a bunch of different candles was making us sick :/ and we figured WTH might as well get to bed. Lights came back on at around midnight. By 2am I was up tossing and turning for a good two hours because the alarm clock and cable box in the bedroom was flashing. Fixed that and tried to go back to sleep. Yeah right. Alarm went off at 6:15am and I feel like a zombie today.

Today is light day. Looking forward to lunch already and it is only a little after 10:00am. Going to be a long one!

Oh well. Hoping for the best. Planning to get to the gym tonight for cardio. Sigh. This day has to get better.

See you all soon.

Hugs,
    Meg
  • jknight001
    Options
    A lot of difficult things happening on the board today. :(

@KateNkognito - That is a rough one. Reality can bite sometimes. It can also spur us on to greater things. I know you can become the person you dream of becoming, one step at a time. From what I have known of you, you are smart and strong. Hang in there, do the things you know will build you up and dump the rest, and wait. It will get better.

@ryenday - Hoping you feel better soon! How hard to be sick so often during the winter. After my son was born, I was getting sick all of the time! Then I would pass it to the rest of the family who would pass it back to me. I finally read and article that if one was getting sick a lot to try a higher dose of probiotics. So I take Nature's Bounty Probiotic 10 (from Costco) and I rarely get sick. Both my son and husband have gotten sick this month and I, so far, have not gotten it. I thought I would pass the info along in case it might be of use. If you already take probiotics then, never mind...

@mamainthekitchen - I am so sorry to hear about your husband's job loss. What a ugly transition. :s Thankful he got a severance package. Gives you all a bit of breathing room while you decide what is next. You all will be in my prayers.

@meghan509 - No workout, no power, no sleep. That is rough! Those are the days I take one minute at a time. Tomorrow will be a better day. All you have to do is just get through today. Hugs to you!

Just remember, 5:2'ers food doesn't fix any problem except hunger. If you feel wobbly today, lean into those who love you.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Sending my good thoughts and best wishes to all - sounds like we all need a breath of fresh air! I’m sad to hear everyone’s troubles.

Yes @jknight001 I think I got this from my husband who stayed home sick last Thursday. We have gone through 5 boxes of puff’s plus tissues with lotion in the past couple of weeks. hubby is going to pick up more from store on way home tonight. Thank you for probiotic tip. I’ll incorporate it into my daily regime (vit D, fish oil, multi vitamin, calcium). lol- I don’t take any prescriptions regularly but I sure do take a LOT of pills.

@Meghan509 - Power outages suck. I was shocked, upon moving to TX, to find they happen here 2 or 3 times a year for hours at a time. We now have the regular power outage routine. Led flashlights and lanterns and emergency lights all battery powered. Book lights we clip onto our pockets. A 1st generation iPad loaded with a couple favourite movies always plugged in so it has a full charge. And for the potential tornado weather a battery and crank radio. Because it happens so often, we know what to unplug, what to pull immediately from the fridge/freezer so we don’t have to open it more than once - and in case it is cold weather, logs for the fireplace stored outside our back door. This was never an issue in Chicago, I’ll tell you.

5:2 light day today, but I’m sick so if I find my appetite I’ll let myself eat. Prob just going to have some soup tho, lol will likely be a light day anyways.

Sending out good vibes to all!!!
  • sjgold123
    Options
    Hi all sorry to hear struggles too especially mamainthekitchen x
    I've not been on a light day today and just crave food i've been controlled just hitting the itch you have with a new way of eating. Light day for me tomorrow, hope everyone has a good day x
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody,

Sending positive vibes! Another week in the books. Almost time for the weekend.

Thanks for the nice words yesterday after my venting. Thinking of everybody who is having a tough time. I appreciate your advice on power outages @ryenday! We have a few here and there here in CT because our wires are exposed vs. underground. Also, we have a big huge mall being built near us and ever since that started we've lost power a few times. We saw workers for the power company going underground in a few spots in recent weeks working on the wires, so hopefully it won't happen too much. When it happens here it is mostly due to storms.

I powered through yesterday. I was tired but thanks to coffee, water and green tea, I made it. Light day went well. No nibbling. LOL Went to the gym after work and got in a great cardio session. Been turning up the incline on the treadmill in spurts, really high, to push myself. Unfortunately I missed both my weight days this week. Back on the wagon next week.

Good news is I am down .8, almost a pound. I am happy with that because I lost some last week and now some this week. Two weeks in a row with a loss is cool. In January I had a stand still, so I will take any loss I can get! If I can keep this up then I can maybe get in to the 150's by the end of the month or early March. :)

Hope everybody is good. I am already looking forward to lunch so I think I'll grab a coffee. Too early for me to eat.

Have a nice one and I'll check in with you all soon! B)
  • jknight001
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Happy Friday!!! Hope you all have something on the calendar in the R&R nature for this weekend. We have our baseball league opening ceremonies. Should be a fun time!

Down .6 today. Slowly inching toward my goal of 145. Within spittin' distance now.

@Meghan509 - Glad your light day went well yesterday. Sometimes all it takes is putting our head down and bearing the storm until it passes. Congrats on your loss. Many .8s add up to huge losses. (Sounds like haiku :D) I also forgot to mention that you are correct in that one can stall on 5:2, even myself. Didn't mean to lead people astray. I guess I just like 5:2 so much I can paint a very rosy picture. However, I still think the plateaus are nothing like one finds with straight calorie cutting. One can be at the same weight for months without explanation. Maybe that just reveals my patience deficit. :)

@ryenday - Here is the article I read from the Costco magazine - The Pros of Probiotics. I was taking a lower count of live bacteria but it wasn't enough to keep me well. Now I take one pill Nature's Bounty Probiotic 10 a day and have really notice that I get sick less often and when I do get a cold it is much more mild. Hope you will have time for rest this weekend, sweetie. Knives in the throat are painful! Hope you feel better soon.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts!!!! We’re adjusting to this enforced retirement idea, although both of us still in shock. He’s had however coworkers call to express their anger about how it was handled.... a little reassurance were not oblivious to the jarring disrespect towards my husband. This type of stress just gets me in trouble, so I’ve had good dinners but have nibbled in sweets all day... :/ Haven’t done my own walk either... also need new runners badly as my feet are screaming!

Congrats on your loss @jknight001 and thanks for the hugs... I’ll be interested too in that probiotic article... I haven’t had a cold in about 3 years maybe 4? I swear those little wipes my grocery store supply’s beside the buggies to use on the handles have been a major contributor for why I haven’t caught any germs!! Hoping @ryenday ... that you feel better soon... try my hot ginger tea! Hot water with sliced fresh ginger and sprinkle in some cayenne pepper and some cinnamon, you can add a little honey & lemon too! Or any combination of those... Keep stirring while you sip! I’m very impressed by your power outage strategies!! My husband & I always liked the power going out... we’d use our gas bbq.... & fireplace... tin foil made cups to cook peas on the bbq!candles lit and play charades!! Bring out the red wine... as long as you don’t think of the frozen foods thawing in the freezer!!! Power company did upgrades in our area 10 years ago... and now we have a gas cooktop but we’ve often joked about pretending the power goes out!!!

Well, it’s Friday!! Next wed marks the 6th anniversary of my sisters death...*sigh* time marches on and on!! I’m now happy to understand that life is a great gift and has many obstacles... it’s all on how you deal with those obstacles, right?! I take a big deep breath and smell the outdoors and pet my golden of course!!;-)

Have a great weekend people!! Thanks for being at the other end of my phone!!!

Ohh I should say what I had for dinner last night... I bought tempeh! It came in a pkg like a condensed cake/patty flavored Indonesian style! Only 50 gr sodium 14 gr protein. I just heated it, sliced it, and topped it on top of my garden salad!!! Not bad! My husband had half a small meat pie and salad.... he doesn’t like the same foods... I’d say he’s chicken to try anything new, but it’s been a rough week! Ha!

• Meghan509
    Options
    Thanks @jknight001 I know exactly what you mean! I think the best way to avoid a stall is to keep mixing things up and keep fooling our bodies. I know I am trying to get better at that. I was eating the same thing and exercising the same way for weeks, months and my body was like duh no sorry not going to do anything here! Now things seem to be moving again since the holidays - fingers crossed.
    Thanks for that article about probiotics! I have taken the same one before and it worked well. I love Costco! <3 The one I take now, for close to a year or so is PB8. I buy it on Amazon at a great price. I also have not had any sicknesses *knocks wood* since I started it. :#

Hugs @mamainthekitchen keep your chin up. Things will get better. Also, sorry to hear about the anniversary of your sisters passing. :( Yes, get outdoors and enjoy life. Hug your family. Life is wayyyy to short. Sigh. We are here for you!
    Tempeh sounds so cool, you know me and my vegetarian or flexitarian lifestyle - I love all that stuff. Saw it in my local Trader Joe's and have been trying to figure out a way to use it sometime. Your way sounds yummy!

Have a nice Friday night all. Time for me to get out of here. See you on the weekend! Hugs. -Meg
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    New day, new week, new resolve! Hit an unhappy number on the scale this morning, saw myself on video last week, having some symptoms that are scaring me. I am back on track!